Who to choose: Stormcloaks or Imperials?

Rojo

Stormcloaks or Imperials.  

86 members have voted

1. 1. Stormcloaks or Imperials.

• Stormcloaks
    • Imperials

In the grand scheme of things it really does not matter. I have done both and only real difference is which party will be in charge of the towns. The NPC dialog is different depending on which side you are on.

My first character was Imperial and I choose that side.

[spoiler=lkj]

If you look at it from the Prisoner side (you at start of game) it makes more sense to side with Stormcloaks

The Stormcloaks come across as racists bastards so I went with Imperials.

I think Ulfric is just misunderstood. It isn't so much that the Nords hate elves as racists would, but they are taking over jobs, businesses and land that a proper Nord could use. I mean, don't the elves have their OWN land? Why do they need to populate Skyrim? Granted, Nords are rather closed-minded about the whole situation but to call them racists is a bit extreme.

Stormcloaks.

OPINION WITH SPOILERS

[spoiler=puppet]They may be mostly dicks but it is better than being part of a thalmor puppet army.

I think Ulfric is just misunderstood. It isn't so much that the Nords hate elves as racists would, but they are taking over jobs, businesses and land that a proper Nord could use. I mean, don't the elves have their OWN land? Why do they need to populate Skyrim? Granted, Nords are rather closed-minded about the whole situation but to call them racists is a bit extreme.

Ulfric seems more like a "Big Picture" guy to me; seeing how little of a difference he could make as a footsoldier, it would make sense to for him make an army in the name of freedom (and possibly his own goals). In Ulfric's case, it has the opposing effect of the common man feeling abandoned or neglected.

As for Nords in general, a bunch of mean High Elves in shiny armor who shoot lightning out of their hands and also carry human sized bags towards the mountains next to Solitude can be pretty fear inducing; and fear can easily boil into hate.

The "Rebellious Leader for [insert lost status, thing, etcetera] of [insert faction]" is a common character in fictional works.

Imperials. I will repost my response to a similar thread:

I just cannot bring myself to join the Stormcloaks. I don't trust Ulfric, he's a power hungry tyrant and a racist. Windhelm, the place he is in charge of, looks like crap. Then there is the "Grey Quarter" in Windhelm, named after the Dark Elves skin color where they are segregated. They treat the Argonians the same way.

The empire isn't perfect. I despise the Thalmor and do not agree with the Talos ban. However, I can understand why they had to agree to it.

I can get past one Imperial soldier with a bad attitude sending me to the chopping block, only because Hadvar (also an Imperial soldier) saved my life during the dragon attack. Hadvar got me out alive. His kindness didn't stop there. When we arrived at Riverwood his father took us in and let me take any needed supplies.

Just my opinion. :)

• 3 months later...

Imperials. After getting over them trying to kill me it seems the right choice. I blame that bitch of an officer anyway. Ulfric himself admits he was only strengthening the Thalmor if you speak to him in Sovengarde. I don't think he's power hungry. He just can't see the bigger picture. Shouting Torygg to death also doesn't sound very Nord like. Honorable challenge my ass. I regretted siding with them on my first play through.

• 3 weeks later...

I choose the Imperials, because I played a Khaijiit, and I don't care for the racism of the Storm Cloaks.

Yes, the Imperials did initially try to kill you (why is it your character is always imprisoned at the start of these games?), and yes, religious persecution is BS. However, the Storm Cloaks don't get a free pass on their racist attitude. Plus, even if the Storm Cloaks did push back the Imperials, what chance would they have against the Thalmor, when they brought the Empire to its knees?

• 2 weeks later...
I've been asked this a few times, and I thought I paid a lot of attention at the beginning of the game, but I don't remember ever getting a choice... obviously I did something, but I just don't know what or when..

In order to actually make the choice, you have to go talk to the leader of either camp (Galmar Stone-Fist for Storm Cloak, or Legate Rikke for Imperial). Until then, you have not joined either side.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On my first three playthroughs, I would always join the Stormcloaks.

Now that I've made a Nord, I'm joining the Imperial Army. My Nord isn't as racist as the rest of the bunch and wants to regain honor by siding with the Legion even if they were to execute him.

Fuck Ulfric!

You traitor!

Nerd

;)