Indie Games Achievements?

DecadentBeaver

I tried to search for this topic but search tool won't work on my phone and I'm gonna have to ask to satisfy my curiosity.

Why indie games not have any achievements associated with them? It would certainly boost sales when there are a lot of achievement hunters out there. I have bought 4 Indie games and still play them occasionally, but I'm so used to earning achievements in games now, it seems weird not unlocking them while I play them.

Does anyone know why? Also, do you think they would be a good idea to implement with Indie titles?

I've never been a big fan of indie games, and if they started charging for achievements, they would get even less downloads than they do now. Not to mention the games would start to cost a whole lot more just for the privilege of earning achievements. Just can the whole system and focus their efforts elsewhere. No one is making enough to get by on indie games.

XBox Live Indie Games do not have achievements1, 2. While Microsoft takes responsibility for reviewing and approving XBL Arcade titles, the review process for XBL Indie Games titles isn't controlled by Microsoft. Since they don't control the review process, they don't allow XBLIG games to have achievements that affect Gamerscore.

I wouldn't mind tossing them maybe 25-50:gsicon:, but I thought the whole point of inducting a game into the Xbox Live Arcade was to bring them under Microsoft's umbrella, and then give them leaderboards, achievements and multiplayer on the Xbox Live servers. Indie games are outside of Microsoft's realm, ya? Therefore, no achievements, leaderboards, etc.

99% of those indie games are awful, rip offs of other things and just overall crap. I'd hate to see people buying them up just for achievements. I'd rather they just get rid of indie games on consoles. Just my opinion.

99.9% of them are horrific. And people would buy the shit out of them because the marketplace would be flooded with "Press Start & Unlock All Achievements" to get easy gamerscore.

As far as good games on the Indie marketplace, try this one. It's a great 2D platformer and incredibly challenging. Worthy of a full on arcade release in my opinion.

Aban Hawkins & The 1000 Spikes

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Aban-Hawkins-the-1000-SPIKES/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550780

Edited by WalterWhite

I'd hate to see an achievement list for the impossible game. :mad:

They have a medals list in the game. I think jumping 999 times one of them. :biglaugh

As far as good games on the Indie marketplace, try this one. It's a great 2D platformer and incredibly challenging. Worthy of a full on arcade release in my opinion.

Aban Hawkins & The 1000 Spikes

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Product/Aban-Hawkins-the-1000-SPIKES/66acd000-77fe-1000-9115-d80258550780

Great game. Another great game: DLC Quest, the game makes a mockery of DLC, forcing the player to use in game currency to buy the simplest of things, like being able to walk left, or the ability to jump, or have music, or animation. It's hilarious and charming at the same time. More then worth the MS Points.

• 1 year later...
The graphics to Apocz looks very good for an indie game and considering the price hard to turn I down.

Graphics aren't everything.

As was stated before, 99.9% of the Indie games library pretty much sucks. Most of them are knock-offs of already existing games (like the several Minecraft clones).

The idea behind Indie games is good. The ability for tiny developers or a guy making a game on his home PC to get their product out there and be seen by the public is awesome. Problem is that nobody is making anything original or unique. They just take the easy way out and make random clones of other games or they're just so broken that they're unplayable.