Achievement Guide and Road Map

L0cke89

Bastion Achievement Guide

COPYRIGHT/RIGHTS OF USE:

This guide may not be used without written permission by either the author or website admins. This guide has been put together for x360a and should not be used without permission.

Overview:

+ Estimated achievement difficulty: 3/10

+ Offline: 12 (200http://tinyurl.com/gicon)

+ Online: 0 (0http://tinyurl.com/gicon)

+ Approximate time: 6-8 hours

+ Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 2

+ Missable achievements: 2 (You have to choose a different ending after each playthrough)

+ Does difficulty affect Achievements? No

+ Unobtainable achievements: 0

+ Extra equipment needed?: None

+ Cheats: No Cheats

Introduction:

Bastion is a beautiful and easy to complete action game. You control the "Kid" through various areas searching for parts to restore the bastion. While you play through the game a nameless narrator will comment your every move. It will take you between 6 to 8 hours for the full 200 :gsicon:. You need a second playthrough to complete New Game + and for the second ending, which will only costs you about 90 minutes of your time when running straight to the end.

1st Playthough / First ending:

Just play through the game without much worry and do what you want. You can't miss anything in the game. If you complete an area and didn't pick up a certain item, you can buy it later in the Lost & Found house. But it will cost you, so looking for them makes it a little easier. They're not hidden very well. Remember to speak to the two survivors after you rescue them to get The Survivor and The Singer.

Get all the mementos or buy them. Then talk to the people to unlock the four animals. This will net you Pet Sitter. You need certain mementos, which - again - you can't miss. Right before the end you will unlock the last of the three Who Knows Where arenas. Complete them for Mind Voyager.

You will have all 11 weapons at this point. So upgrade each of them at least once to net you Kid-at-Arms. It is also best to complete every Vigil from the memorial for Vigilante and Altruist. After everything is done, finish the story and choose one of the endings. You either use the bastion or stay in the new world.

This playthrough will get you 150 :gsicon:

2nd Playthrough - New Game + / second ending:

If you've done everything on your first run, you should now only have to beat New Game +, which will take you about 90 minutes. Just run through and only defeat enemies when they block your way. This time choose the different ending. If you chose to use the bastion (The End), then choose to embrace the new world by staying (The Beginning) and vice versa

Conclusion:

You should now have 200:gsicon: in Bastion. If you still miss anything, you can always choose New Game + again. The only thing you will have to do again are a few Vigils like getting first place seven times in challenges.

Edited by L0cke89

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/+nva2Q==.jpgThe Stranger - 10 :gsicon:

Complete the Wharf District.

Story related and cannot be missed.

This will be your first achievement. After you complete the introduction, you'll land in the Wharf District, which will take about 10 minutes to finish the first time. After that you'll land on the bastion and the achievement will unlock.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/+FrTbA==.jpgThe Survivor - 10 :gsicon:

Complete the Hanging Gardens and speak with the Survivor in the Bastion.

Kinda story related.

You will need to speak to the Survivor at the end of Hanging Gardens. After that, just talk to him at the bastion and the achievement will unlock.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/+5siSg==.jpgThe Singer - 20 :gsicon:

Complete Prosper Bluff and speak with the Singer in the Bastion.

Kinda story related.

You will need to speak to the Singer at the end of Prosper Bluff. After that, just talk to her at the bastion and the achievement will unlock.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-pjiYA=.jpgThe Ura - 20 :gsicon:

Stop the siege on the Bastion.

Story related and cannot be missed.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-7Hf8I=.jpgPet Sitter - 10 :gsicon:

Get four different domesticated creatures in the Bastion.

This is not missable. You need four mementos to get the pets. Those can be found in the areas or bought from Lost & Found later. It doesn't matter. When you get the memento, just go to the people and talk to them about it. Since you also need the other mementos for a Vigil, just buy all of them (or find). They doesn't cost much. Easy as that.

Important: Buy all the mementos before the Ura invasion. If you don't have all the pets at this part, there is a chance of missing the achievement. So just make sure you always buy new mementos after every mission.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-3ga8w=.jpgMind Voyager - 20 :gsicon:

Complete each trip to Who Knows Where.

There are three arenas that you'll unlock while playing through the game. Two of them are mementos that you'll have to find or buy from the Lost & Found, if you didn't get them in the area. The last one will be unlocked as part of the story. They are all on the south side of the bastion. Just press :xbut: when next to them and fight you're way through the 20 waves.

- Pipe

- Stockpot

- Bedroll

It's best to wait until the end. I like to use the upgraded shotgun, because it is quick, does a huge amount of damage and can kill a whole bunch of enemies at once. You should also equip a few good potions. Get one extra try and 2+ water bottles. this will make the arenas much easier.

Utilise the roll and counter attack (blocking with :ltbut: when the enemy attacks you). This will instantly kill the towers and some weaker enemies.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-hCgDU=.jpgKid-at-Arms - 10 :gsicon:

Use the Forge to apply at least one upgrade to every weapon.

Right before the last area in the game, you'll get the last weapon. All you need now is one of five upgrades for each of them. You can find these anywhere and it would be hard not to get one of each, if you also do the weapon challenges. But if you miss all five for one of them, they can also be bought from Lost & Found.

Now go to the Forge and spend the few bucks on the first (You will probably have upgraded a few weapons already) upgrade for every weapon. It doesn't matter which one. Just don't forget to do it, before you enter the last area.

- Cael Hammer

- Breaker's Bow

- Fang Repeater

- War Machete

- Scrap Musket

- Dueling Pistols

- Brusher's Pike

- Army Carbine

- Galleon Mortar

- Fire Bellows

- Calamity Cannon

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-uDcRM=.jpgVigilante - 10 :gsicon:

Complete at least 50 percent of the Vigils in the Memorial.

Refer to Altruist.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-8nh1E=.jpgAltruist - 20 :gsicon:

Complete 100 percent of the Vigils in the Memorial.

Before you can do any of these, you have to get the memorial. When you get your fourth shard, you can build it on the right side of the bastion. At first, you'll only have 12 Vigils. After you upgrade the memorial and get all 11 weapons, you will have 23 Vigils that you have to complete. Some may seem daunting at first but are all really easy. Only the one for getting first place in seven challenges can be a little tricky.

For a help to all Vigils, refer to this guide

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-4hmuo=.jpgThe Beginning - 20 :gsicon:

Complete the story, embracing the New World.

After you've restored the bastion completely, you'll have to choose whether you want to restore the old world or stay. Choose the latter one to embrace the New World. This will only net you this achievement. You won't get The End (Using the bastion to restore the old world). But since you need a second playthrough for Calamity Kid (Beating New Game +), just pick one choice the first time and the other one the second time around.

Thanks to tS-BLiTZ for confirming this.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5--BYnk=.jpgThe End - 20 :gsicon:

Complete the story.

After you've restored the bastion completely, you'll have to choose whether you want to restore the old world or stay. Choose the first one to restore the old world. This will only net you this achievement. You won't get The Beginning (Stay and embrace the new world). But since you need a second playthrough for Calamity Kid (Beating New Game +), just pick one choice the first time and the other one the second time around.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/1849/5-wAk18=.jpgCalamity Kid - 30 :gsicon:

Complete the story in New Game Plus.

Just finish the story and you will unlock New Game +. Choose it at the start screen and just run through the game once again. If you have all the other non story related achievements, you can finish it in about 90 minutes. Don't try to kill enemies unless you really want to and only fight when you have to defeat someone for the level to progress.

If you didn't get one of the achievements on you first run, just do it here. Everything will carry over except for a few Vigils like the one for doing the seven challenges. So it's better to finish those off on your first run.

Edited by L0cke89

Good looking guide! The only thing is the singer and the survivor you might want to consider missable because if you don't talk to them no achievement. Unless the game makes you talk to them before moving on. Just a thought, I'm not sure as I have yet to play the game.

I'm not sure if you TECHNICALLY have to but you're basically prompted to talk to them. I don't think a single person would ever go through the game without talking to them somehow, during either of their playthroughs.

Is anyone having problems with the'Vigilante'achievement not unlocking? I've got 7/12 vigils completed now(6/11 if you don't include the one you get just for creating the Memorial, and the achievement hasn't popped yet. The only ones I have left are the top row ones that'll take time as I go through the game... I have each weapon vigil.

Is anyone having problems with the'Vigilante'achievement not unlocking? I've got 7/12 vigils completed now(6/11 if you don't include the one you get just for creating the Memorial, and the achievement hasn't popped yet. The only ones I have left are the top row ones that'll take time as I go through the game... I have each weapon vigil.

There's 24 total - you just haven't unlocked them all yet (missing weapons, etc.)

Confirmed - it does NOT.

Thanks. I was wondering that, because it only says complete the game but I got it for choosing to use the bastion ^^

For The Singer and Survivor: I wrote in the guide that those are kinda story related. You have to rescue them. And then only talk once. You don't need to pick a topic. Just press X next to them and boom - achievement!

Oh, and there are 23 (not 24) vigils. You still have to complete 12 to get 50% though ;P

Edited by L0cke89

Does anyone have any tips of the dueling pistols proving ground? It's the only challenge I've had any problem doing so far. I can't seem to get over about 640ish. :\

Do the other ones, lol. Or wait until you have all upgrades maybe. I got 710 with 3/5 upgrades and I was pretty much perfect.

edit: 762 with 4th upgrade. 4th is 25% damage, so yeah, that's what you need I'm pretty sure. I doubt it's possible with less.

Edited by tS-BLiTZ

So i'm a bit worried about these Vigils...

I'm currently at the Tazal Terminals - which seems to be the last level. As half of the vigils are weapons based and you can't go back to levels after completing them, what are my options to acquire the criteria for the vigils? Can you unlock them in the Who Knows Where trials? Or does it carry over into New Game+?

If not then those achievements are completely missable as i've only been using two weapons for most of the game.

Anyone got tips for the hammer and machete vigils? I've come 4 seconds short on the hammer one and can't even get 2nd prize on the machete one. Is it just a case of max upgrades? I have both at 3/5 right now but it ain't cutting it on either.

Immediately run to where the enemies spawn and spam like hell. Once they clear up go around taking out the carts and turrets, and then pick off the stragglers. This should make it easier as I was running around for like 10 seconds trying to get the last lil blighter and still got 1st prize.

Anyone got tips for the hammer and machete vigils? I've come 4 seconds short on the hammer one and can't even get 2nd prize on the machete one. Is it just a case of max upgrades? I have both at 3/5 right now but it ain't cutting it on either.

Hmm, those were two of the easier ones for me. For the machete one, make sure you have relevant upgrades on, and make sure you throw the machete for ones that are far away. Stand in the center of the map as SOON as it starts and you should be able to kill almost all the green ones before you do anything else. For hammer, uh just go counterclockwise and smash/roll like a mad men. You won't get it if you're not using both hammer and roll very quickly over and over. It shouldn't be an upgrade issue, because I think I got those done at or before 3/5 as well.

So i'm a bit worried about these Vigils...

I'm currently at the Tazal Terminals - which seems to be the last level. As half of the vigils are weapons based and you can't go back to levels after completing them, what are my options to acquire the criteria for the vigils? Can you unlock them in the Who Knows Where trials? Or does it carry over into New Game+?

Some stuff carries over. I made that mistake. The trials do NOT carry over, and neither do the story-related ones (but you'll get them again while going for NG+ achievement anyways - stuff like Build the Bastion 0/12 and whatever). If you've already done the trials and don't want to redo them, I suggest trying to do the weapon stuff in Who Knows Where then. They should work there, considering you can get xp/shards and level up like normal there.

For the hammer one, I would say upgrade if possible for damage, I don't know if it helps but I did it anyways. Also, a tip I only noticed after the 10th time attempting it, was that rolling through the smaller stuff will destroy it and help you get through it faster. That's how I ended up beating it.

As for the machete one, I noticed that if you let the "stragglers", as I like to call them, spawn, then you won't get anything but the third place prize. I don't think upgrading is needed to get first tbh. What you do is, immediately after picking the machete up run to the middle and slash the guys like mad that spawn there. Once they stop spawning, go after the popcorn machines that shoot out the squirters. Then after that go after the turrets, and clean up anything you missed by throwing your blade. Hope that helps.

The one that I haven't been able to place first in oddly enough is the pistol one. Even with max upgrades. I don't need it for anything as far as cheebs, or in general as I prefer other ranged weapons. But I just can't do it. Highest I got is a score of 705 and you need over 750 to get the first place prize. :<

Just posted the vigils guide with information on how to do 8 out of the 11 trials (the last three are a bitch in my opinion >.<)

With upgraded weapons, I found them to be really easy.

I finished the game and can no longer see the mission for the vigils, so I had to do it from memory. So there are three left I need the mission for. Please post it in the thread and I can finish it.

There may be some other stuff I got mixed up. So, if you see a mistake, point it out and I will correct my failure ^^

Great guide. I just downloaded the game and I shall be using this for at least the Vigil's. I like to check out these guides prior to starting the game so I make sure that I don't have to be searching like crazy for certain items. It won't really make a huge deal though if you have to complete 2 play through's though.

I did have one question though... for the second playthrough do all of the weapon upgrade continue with you? Just wondering if I actually need to take the time to get an upgrade for each weapon in the 1st playthrough, or if I can just carry those over to the new game +. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

I did have one question though... for the second playthrough do all of the weapon upgrade continue with you? Just wondering if I actually need to take the time to get an upgrade for each weapon in the 1st playthrough, or if I can just carry those over to the new game +. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

The upgrades for the weapons carry over.

My turn: when do you get the bedroll in the story? I never remember getting it on my first playthrough.