Spoiler - One of the best video game moments ever

ShawMan5081

On the gladiator stage after you chop off Commodus' head, Marius looks at the timid emperor and proclaims "I AM DAMOCLES" and while holding the blooded head of his son yells out "YOU ARE NEXT!"

How bad ass was that?!? I got goosebumps watching this unfold and wondered if anyone else felt the same way? I put this as one of my favorite moments in video game history.

Was a very, very cool moment lol.

However, due to the overall averageness of the game, and the poor story that only got going once you got to Chapter 6 and the vengeance plotline, it can't get ranked that highly :p

I have to admit I am a sucker for vengeance story lines and felt they did a great job with this storyline. Sure it started off slow, but I felt like I was figuring out the controls more at the beginning and satisfied enough with the combat to where I was hooked when the story finally started coming around.

Despite the critics, I know I'll be picking this game up again in the future.

Amazing moment. Amazing game. I read one critic that called the storyline tired and overused. And, I get that there have been movies that follow the basic plot of vengeance towards once revered leaders - most notably gladiator. And, maybe a few games.

But, for the life of me, I do not every remember playing or even hearing about a gladiator style game set in ancient Rome. Moreover the twist on this game was the whole Damocles thing which was awesome. As far as I am concerned, this story was not only original but also highly entertaining and one of the best story modes I have every played.

Amazing moment. Amazing game. I read one critic that called the storyline tired and overused. And, I get that there have been movies that follow the basic plot of vengeance towards once revered leaders - most notably gladiator. And, maybe a few games.

But, for the life of me, I do not every remember playing or even hearing about a gladiator style game set in ancient Rome. Moreover the twist on this game was the whole Damocles thing which was awesome. As far as I am concerned, this story was not only original but also highly entertaining and one of the best story modes I have every played.

Exactly! I found it fun playing out a pissed off roman/gladiator slaughtering everyone in sight. I understand the repititiveness and linear aspect of the game bothering people and it's not for everyone especially if you don't care about the storyline I games. But for me, the story is always important and a big reason I loved Last of Us.

@shawman5081 I agree. Another reviewer complained that the game was not open world which I don't understand in the least bit. Not every game has to be open world. This story was great plus the combat system was strong. Thats all you need.

@zzzcrossyzzz Two strong ideas. I had not thought about either of those when thinking about DLC possibilities. I will tell you this....any DLC including a couple hundred achievements points to get I will definitely buy. I would love to see either of your ideas brought to fruition but in particular the Vitallion idea seems like a good one. Though that could be a strong way to go for Ryse: Son of Rome 2 (that would be awesome).

• 5 months later...

I know old thread but there's a ps2 game called Shadow of Rome released in early 2005. I like Ryse but the gameplay/combat in SoR puts it to shame, it's embarrassing really.

Ahh, but the graphics and brutal executions don't!:p

Shadow of Rome is way more brutal than Ryse. With blunt weapons you can break enemies arms and smash their head to pieces. With sharp weapons you can chop arms and heads off then use them as weapons, all of this within the gameplay which affects how enemies behave/fight not just a flashy repetitive QTE.

I love Ryse. I am having loads of fun with it, and hack and slash combat games have always had a special place for me. Its simple to pick up and play, but harder to master. Timing is key to combat.

Visually stunning too. Gonna have a blast with the dlc when my mate gets gold. But level 200? Seriously, that sucks. Not too many people will ever get the 1750g.

I love Ryse. I am having loads of fun with it, and hack and slash combat games have always had a special place for me. Its simple to pick up and play, but harder to master. Timing is key to combat.

Visually stunning too. Gonna have a blast with the dlc when my mate gets gold. But level 200? Seriously, that sucks. Not too many people will ever get the 1750g.

It's easy I just started and completed all the dlc today. I was level 120 before starting now I'm 215 I think.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...