Online multiplayer guide (Constantly updated)

cbssi

Hey guys, here is my take on the Gears of War 2 online multiplayer experience, and my strategies that I typically find effective in tough situations. I will start with statistics; weapon damage, player health, etc. Please note that this guide is likely incomplete at your time of reading it. I took some weapon statistics from BradyGames Gears of War 2 strategy guide, while some I found myself. Please enjoy and note that I will constantly update this guide, as much as possible.

Lancer

Clip size: 50 bullets

Maximum ammunition: 550 bullets

Reload time: 2.5 seconds (without active reload)

Stopping power: 0.25

Headshot damage: 150% of regular damage

Uses

Short range: This weapon is fairly solid in close quarters, with blind fire being your best friend. But be sure to examine your surroundings; Longshot out in the open, while you're behind cover? Good! Rolling around with acrobatics, duking it out with the Gnasher? BAD!

Medium range: This is where the weapon shines. The solid accuracy, damage, and firing rate make it an ideal weapon for mid-ranged firefights, especially with its stopping power, and an active reload.

Long-range: No good! If you have no other alternatives, go for it, but see if you can't snag a Longshot first!

Hammerburst

Clip size: 17 bullets

Maximum ammunition: 323

Reload time: 2 seconds (without active reload)

Stopping power: 0.35

Headshot damage: 110% of regular damage

Uses

Short range: Not recommended here. About the only thing you can do to ensure victory in this situation is to feather the trigger as fast as you can, and hope to hit something. Or you can get close and melee, but I wouldn't risk it, as your opponent will likely have a Gnasher or a revved chainsaw.

Medium range: This is where the Hammerburst excels, with its zoom feature, though it becomes difficult to use well because of the recoil causing your reticule to gradually aim upward with every shot.

Long range: Your options are limited. It's good, but not excellent. If you're facing a moving target, it can be difficult to rapidly fire.

Gnasher

Clip size: 8 shells

Maximum ammunition: 39 shells

Reload time: 3 seconds (without active reload)

Stopping power: 0.40

Headshot damage: 110%

Uses

Short range: Definitely your weapon of choice, built for close-range combat. I hardly have to explain, but one well-landed body shot will kill an adversary with full health. Headshots do even more.

Medium range: It's actually decent. You can fire and expect to down somebody from a decent space away within a few shots, but you're better off running if your opponent has a Lancer or a Hammerburst.

Long range: No point in writing this section, the weapon is no good, drop it.

Longshot

Clip size: 1 bullet

Maximum ammunition: 24 bullets

Stopping power: -

Headshot damage: Instant death

Uses

Short-range: The Longshot was a one-hit-with-active-reload monster in Gears of War, but I'm afraid Epic toned it down for the epic sequel. The Longshot is significantly ineffective with body shots, so this isn't worth bringing in close-ranged combat.

Medium range: If you can find good cover at the back of a battlefield, then this is absolutely potent at mid-range, in the hands of the right person. Bring it if your other team members distract your opponents, only, though.

Long range: This, of course, is where the Longshot excels. That is, if you can land a headshot at this range. It's no longer acceptable to get a body shot death unless the opponent is already weakened, so don't try it. Only bring this into long-ranged battle if in the hands of an effective Gear or Locust.

Boomshot

Clip size: 1 rocket

Maximum ammunition: 12 rockets

Headshot damage: -

Uses

Short range: Dangerous. Very effective, but very dangerous, as you can easily blow yourself to bits, or hurt yourself with splash damage. So watch out.

Medium range: This is the ideal position for a Boomshot on the field of battle. Close enough range to be accurate, but far enough away so you won't be damaged yourself. A strategy I try sometimes is to shoot my allies, whom the shots won't affect, if they're in close range with an opponent, the splash damage will typically down, or kill the opponent. Just make sure your aim is true on your first shot.

Long range: Absolutely not ideal. It is so hard to get a good shot at this range because the Boomshot has an aim arc.

Torque Bow

Clip size: 1 arrow

Maximum ammunition: 12 arrows

Headshot damage: Instant death

Uses

Short range: Definitely not ideal; your opponent is likely to kill you before you are able to charge the weapon. If you don't charge it, it doesn't stick, and doesn't kill. Avoid close encounters, bottom line.

Medium range: Very good, ideal for a Torque Bow. You have ideal time to charge your weapon, and you are far enough from harm, yet close enough for an accurate shot. Just make that shot count; after you get one off, your opponents will likely make you their primary target!

Long range: Try not to do this, unless you have golden eyes. It's very hard to be accurate at this range with this weapon.

Hammer of Dawn

Clip size: -

Maximum ammunition: -

Reload time: -

Uses

Short range: Let me put it this way; this weapon will martyr you at this range. Try not to use it at this range unless you're surrounded, and you're willing to take yourself out along with at least 2 others. Otherwise I'd stick with the Gnasher.

Medium range: Very, very, very good. If you control Dawn at medium range, it is very easy to turn the tide of a battle. Just make sure your team has the Longshot secured as well!

Long range: Again, very, very brutal and effective. Even if your opponents are not in sight, it is still technically possible to take them out, especially if you know the map very well, including spawns, and they decide to pick up a weapon. Very deadly, recommended in the right hands.

Scorcher

Clip size: 50

Max charge: 300

Uses

Short range: Extremely ideal. Unlike such flamethrower-like weapons as Halo 3's, the flames will not damage you if you're the wielder of this weapon. In essence, you can kill an opponent right next to you, without suffering any self-inflicted damage, and this thing also downs your enemies with great efficiency.

Medium range: It can be very effective, or not effective at all. It depends just how far away the opponent is. See both short range and long range sections for comparisons, because it can really end up imitating either; there is no middle ground.

Long range: Completely useless; the flames won't even reach beyond a certain point, so your range option is very limited. Once your opponent is out of that range, this weapon is useless.

Snub Pistol

Clip size: 12 bullets

Maximum ammunition: 120 bullets

Reload time: 2 seconds (without active reload)

Stopping power: 0.25

Headshot damage: 200%

Uses

Close range: I wouldn't recommend this weapon particularly, but it can be useful in situations like backpedaling into cover and quickly shooting opponents to subdue them with stopping power.

Medium range: This is where I'd recommend this weapon, but only if there are no other alternatives. It can be extremely effective because it zooms, and inflicts double damage with headshots and about 25% more damage with an active reload. You could effectively attack an opponent with an 225% damage.

Long range: Don't do this; this weapon is blindly inaccurate at long range. Go for it if you're feeling lucky; otherwise do not.

I will continue more later, perhaps in a couple of hours or tomorrow. I plan to finish weapon statistics soon. For now, use what I have :)

- Edit: I've removed the fire rates, they were screwed up. No way a Gnasher fires 50 shots per minute when every shot takes more than a second. I'll have to re-calculate the old-fashioned way; a timer and a piece of tape. Until then, I'm removing said stat.

Edited by cbssi

thats not an online guide in case you didnt no

The title of the post is not referring to the guide being online (The BradyGames one is what I assume you mean, where I'm pulling a few stats). The title "Online multiplayer guide" is referring to the online multiplayer features of Gears of War 2, and this guide that I am writing that will (hopefully) give some people tips and tricks to improve their game while using the online multiplayer feature.

The title of the post is not referring to the guide being online (The BradyGames one is what I assume you mean, where I'm pulling a few stats). The title "Online multiplayer guide" is referring to the online multiplayer features of Gears of War 2, and this guide that I am writing that will (hopefully) give some people tips and tricks to improve their game while using the online multiplayer feature.

Alright my bad. I thought you ment an online guide for the achievements. Ha LOL but good job, it looks like you gave a lot of effort!

Alright my bad. I thought you ment an online guide for the achievements. Ha LOL but good job, it looks like you gave a lot of effort!

It's not done, this is the foundation :)

I perhaps jumped the gun a bit by posting it so bare-bone, but oh well! It'll be presentable soon enough. The only thing getting in the way of my doing it right now is school work, laziness, and trying to get my last 4 Gears 2 achievements. That said, this'll be done soon enough.

It's not done, this is the foundation :)

I perhaps jumped the gun a bit by posting it so bare-bone, but oh well! It'll be presentable soon enough. The only thing getting in the way of my doing it right now is school work, *KEYWORD*laziness*KEYWORD*, and trying to get my last 4 Gears 2 achievements. That said, this'll be done soon enough.

just teasing:p

Dude, I'm not sure how to tell you this, so i'll just blurt it out. You're not going to have enough room to write as big a guide as you want because people have already posted and you have no reserves.

Oh I'm aware. I don't mind, I'll use my second, third, fourth posts if I have to. Possibly re-post once it's completely finished.

But no, I had taken that into account before even posting.

(I have school in ten minutes, when I get back I'm going to post more.)

for your guide you might want to include stuff like the chainsaw for the lancer and for the hammer of dawn saw how long you can shot till the gun over heats?

Honestly, not trying to criticize, but I don't comprehend, and I think it has to do with your grammar and sentence structure skills. Could you please edit your post, using proper punctuation, grammar, et cetera? Because I'm serious when I say I am at a loss. Can not comprehend what you mean.

Honestly, not trying to criticize, but I don't comprehend, and I think it has to do with your grammar and sentence structure skills. Could you please edit your post, using proper punctuation, grammar, et cetera? Because I'm serious when I say I am at a loss. Can not comprehend what you mean.

He means that you don't even mention the chainsaw in the lancer section. IMO that should definately be added since it's basically the only thing that the gun can be used for.

Also, your Hammerburst max ammo is wrong I think. It's like 323 or something like that (or atleast that's the total for the campaign).

Edited by Dukefan45