Anyone else sick of Europeans making fun of North Americans for not liking soccer?

Assasin13

Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it. Ok so if we don't like it then why does my team average in the top 40 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match. We just opened up our stadium a bit more to 46,000 for an MLS regular season match to see if it will still sell out and guess what its still selling out at 46,000 on weekdays! Ok so if we are selling out at 46,000 seats every match and the whole entire crowd sings and has a jersey of the team on then how do we not like soccer? Are you guys telling me that every match 46,000 fans crowd into the stadium to watch soccer even though they don't like soccer? Also we tied England in the world cup so I don't know what else we need to do to prove we like soccer so ya...

Sorry for that little rant but it just gets on my nervs!

Edited by Assasin13

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok I know people like soccer more in Europe but I am still sick of you guys saying us Americans and Canadians don't know anything about soccer and don't like it. Ok so if we don't like it then why does my team average in the top 15 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match. We just opened up our stadium a bit more to 46,000 for an MLS regular season match to see if it will still sell out and guess what its still selling out at 46,000 on weekdays! Ok so if we are selling out at 46,000 seats every match and the whole entire crowd sings and has a jersey of the team on then how do we not like soccer. Are you guys telling me that every match 46,000 fans crowd into the stadium to watch soccer even though they don't like soccer?

Sorry for that little rant but it just gets on my nervs!

Well your first flaw is calling it 'Soccer'. It is Football and even FIFA backs that one up. Secondly it is because your players on FIFA 11 are suspiciously highly rated. Donovan is an average player. But for some reason he is in the 80s which really isn't right. Thirdly you call that sorry excuse for rugby Football. If you call a game with pads and throwing the ball forward and the players think they are so hard because they play 'Football'. This sorry attitude disgraces the beautiful game and although sadly now we have some soft idiots falling over when a player comes near them and up the next second, Proper Football at the grass roots where you snap a man in two for the crack is the beautiful game.

These reasons are petty agree and some Americans will know what the deal is with Footy but a lot of Americans have the wrong attitude and it pisses us off so we stereotype and say you idiots who know nothing of the game.

why does my team average in the top 15 in the world in attendance at 36,000 selling out every match
Just out of curiosity, where did you get that from? There are 29 clubs in Europe alone with average attendances above 40k....

Although I appreciate the perils of using wikipedia as a source :)

Well your first flaw is calling it 'Soccer'. It is Football and even FIFA backs that one up. Secondly it is because your players on FIFA 11 are suspiciously highly rated. Donovan is an average player. But for some reason he is in the 80s which really isn't right. Thirdly you call that sorry excuse for rugby Football. If you call a game with pads and throwing the ball forward and the players think they are so hard because they play 'Football'. This sorry attitude disgraces the beautiful game and although sadly now we have some soft idiots falling over when a player comes near them and up the next second, Proper Football at the grass roots where you snap a man in two for the crack is the beautiful game.

These reasons are petty agree and some Americans will know what the deal is with Footy but a lot of Americans have the wrong attitude and it pisses us off so we stereotype and say you idiots who know nothing of the game.

Why should it matter what I call the sport? Austrailians call rugby football and soccer soccer for christs sake. Plus Donovan is not an average player, unless the Bundesliga sucks because he has been loaned there and played well, and when you watch him he is just incredible, always scoring and assisting. Also you are blaming diving on us Americans? How typical.

Oh and hate to bring this up but I will, we beat you guys in the world cup so if we don't deserve to play soccer then I don't think you do either.

Edited by Assasin13

Just out of curiosity, where did you get that from? There are 29 clubs in Europe alone with average attendances above 40k....

Although I appreciate the perils of using wikipedia as a source :)

Sorry about that seems my sources were bad. But multiple sources do say top 40 so there, edited to say that:)

Go Sounders!!!

If your talking about the 2010 world cup, you did not beat us, it was 1-1.

On why your mocked -

Teams with stupid gimmick names

No promotion/relegation

Calling kits, uniforms/jerseys

Absurd commentary - Man City Vs Ny red bulls in a friendly before the start of the 10/11 season was an embarrassment

Calling squads rosters

Using the word franchise

And last but not least why you will never under any circumstance be taken seriously, you call football that bastard s word.

Just re-read the title of your thread. I dont have a problem with you guys not liking football or anybody not liking whatever, its their opinion, everybodys different.

However what bugs me is when clowns (always yanks) come on threads about football. I.E news of the latest Fifa/Pro Evo games, achievements being revealed etc just to slag off the sport.

Heres what people who aren't attentian whores do, if they see something that they dont like they dont comment on it, simple.

I see the ncaa cheevos have been recently released, do you see any non-american bashing it? Nope, because nobody outside america cares enough to sign in and have a pop at it.

You have one English guy on it, asking a polite question.

Edited by Morbido

Wow, the elitism.

I wasn't around back when they gave the sport the name "soccer" here in America. I had no say in the decision and neither did anyone else alive today.

We can't just start calling it football over here either, because that would cause too much confusion having football and American football.

The fact is that soccer is now a widely accepted alternative name to your sport, and you should probably just get the fuck over it.

Football was also a terrible name choice for the sport we play over here in the US, but again, none of us were around back then to have any say in it.

But now, after however many years the sport has been around, football has become a widely accepted term for it.

I don't have on opinion on the whole "rugby > american football" thing, because i've honestly never seen a rugby match, nor do I want to.

Please stop posting that the US beat England at the World Cup - it was a draw, and it was only that because our goalie let in what can only be described as a complete howler.

The fact that after that game a bunch of US newspapers had headlines like WE WIN! is why so many English people have the attitude they do. If the big papers in the US cannot even grasp that a draw is NOT a win then what hope is there?

As for the whole football vs soccer thing I'm not even going to comment.

Please stop posting that the US beat England at the World Cup - it was a draw, and it was only that because our goalie let in what can only be described as a complete howler.

The fact that after that game a bunch of US newspapers had headlines like WE WIN! is why so many English people have the attitude they do. If the big papers in the US cannot even grasp that a draw is NOT a win then what hope is there?

As for the whole football vs soccer thing I'm not even going to comment.

^^ Posted before I could.

You get bashed because of your arrogance. You cant draw in a game and then go off celebrating shouting out aloud that you won, If you cannot even grasp the concept of the game and decifer a Win from a Loss then as Jack said what hope is there.

Also what alot of people (English folk...Im English btw) dont realise is that the word Soccer actually originated in England. Its an abreviation/slang of the name Association Football which is what it was called when the sport was invented/formed. The English then dropped the term when it went International. Then as game Football became more popular the Americans tryed to make there own version based off of Rugby Union and as it failed to catch on Worldwide you (I presume) Accepted football but decided to keep its original abreviation so not to confuss with your own sport.

Edited by Genesis x360a

You clearly don't follow football, if one of your main arguement is that you beat us in the world cup. It was 1-1.

landon donovan is not a world class player either, when he was on loan at Everton (that's a premier league team) he did OK at best, if he was world class he would have shone far more.

You clearly don't follow football, if one of your main arguement is that you beat us in the world cup. It was 1-1.

landon donovan is not a world class player either, when he was on loan at Everton (that's a premier league team) he did OK at best, if he was world class he would have shone far more.

Yes actually landon donovan was loaned to the bundesliga as well and yes I do realize he also went to Everton who is a premier league team I am not stupid and don't know how well he did there except that he did well in the bundesliga and that they are offering the los angelas galaxy a lot of money for him. Also quit saying that I said we beat you I know it was 1-1 we scored our goal because of your goalies stupid error and while it was a stupid goal it still counts(Maybe you just need better goalies:L)

And yes I did post that we beat because it has been a year since then and have forgoten a bit although I do know that we didn't lose and now that you guys bring it up I do remember it being a tie. Also my point of bringing up the tie is that a lot of you say that we suck at soccer or football as you call it same thing. So if we are really that bad then there should be no way of us even tying because in a sense that's like saying we are just as good. Now I know we are not but we are at least respectable we move around 10th to 20th in the world constantly which means we can't be that bad. We also beat England in points in the group stage even with 2 points robbed from us when the ref called a foul on a free kick after we scored the goal he whistled it and refused to say why and never did and why did I edit it? Well why do you think its there for? To fix things that other commentors say is wrong with your comment.

And yes I did post that we beat because it has been a year since then and have forgoten a bit although I do know that we didn't lose and now that you guys bring it up I do remember it being a tie.

Haha you make a thread bitching that yourself (Americans) are sick of being told you know nothing about Football/Liking it yet you cannot even remember a score for a game that you rate so highly (Because thats what you seem to be basing everything off) and that it was a rather iconic game for both sides......You've kinda answered your own thread with your own response.

A why did I edit it? Well why do you think its there for? To fix things that other commentors say is wrong with your comment.

Its not the fact that edited it lol I agree thats what its there for but then you post saying "I never said won, what are you talking about" trying to cover your blatent mistake lmao! I just thought it was funny and had to call you out about it lol Also if you know what the Edit button is for, why you double posting?? ;)

Wow, the elitism.

I don't have on opinion on the whole "rugby > american football" thing, because i've honestly never seen a rugby match, nor do I want to.

Pot. Kettle. Black

I never said won what are u guys talking about I clearly said tied...

When it comes to sports you guys can not help but make yourselves look as stupid as possible.

Check out this joker at http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=250386 for another example