Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII

A timed RPG?

Okay, so I have spent 2 hours about playing this so far, and have run into two things that bother me. One being a major plot point of the game.

How often am I going to be rushed for time? Playing against the clock isn't really a great thing for a rpg to do, not that this game does many things that an rpg does. Is this really even a rpg anymore?

Also, regular enemies are taking me 5+ minutes to kill. Not super happy about that. I guess I have to do more quests. Yeah. This game seems like a huge experiment.

I guess it's about time to spoil game plot and most mechanics for myself before buying them. Because as it is, I don't see myself enjoying this game much. Hopefully I'm wrong and will enjoy it when I get more into it.

Yes, I played and 100%'ed the other two. I just don't think this game is anything like them. Aside from having some recurring characters. Not that they were totally awesome anyway. I liked the first one the most.

It can't possible be worse than the last remnant.

Edited by Sizzy

You get more than enough time to do everything and time doesn't pass by during fights except for a secret dungeon near end game

Doesn't excuse the fact that being timed should never be part of an RPG. Ever. It turns the game from being fun into a chore, because you're constantly watching the clock and wondering if you have enough time to complete things. I couldn't care less if it plays into the lore, it shouldn't restrict the player, period.

/inb4 Majora's Mask reference

Doesn't excuse the fact that being timed should never be part of an RPG. Ever. It turns the game from being fun into a chore, because you're constantly watching the clock and wondering if you have enough time to complete things. I couldn't care less if it plays into the lore, it shouldn't restrict the player, period.

/inb4 Majora's Mask reference

normally I would agree. But seriously you get more Tha enough time to do everything. Explore grind extinct do every quest etc. Time just isn't an issue it just feels like there is but like I said you will realise there's more than enough time

Says the person with a Lightning avatar and signature. :p

Haha yeah I do love the game. It has other issues if you ask me but the time just isn't one of them. Alls you need to do is the main quests which don't take long at all. The biggest issue is the game lacks content and doesn't take long to 1000g

So everything else can be completed after the main game without the time limit?

As long as you do the main quests your job is done you could go to the inn and fast forward to the 13th day if you wanted. H

its more Tha possible to have everything done in 6-8in game days and have pretty much nothing left to do for rest of the game.

but yeah alls you have to do is the main quests and the rest is just extra ways to make lightning stronger

Yeah, what? You can complete the game and then 1000 it? If so, I would go back and play it!

don't forget this game has new game plus with a harder unlockable difficulty so yeah you can complete the game as much as you want and get the 1000g in no time.

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

I think if this game had a normal leveling grid or system, better than the shitty previous ones, this game would have been pretty fun, with all the different class bonuses and such.

Timing a game does make it a chore. It doesn't matter if you have enough time, you still have to do it in a time limit, and a first time playthrough, which is the most important, is always going to be filled with worry and what-if.

I'm on day 3 at the moment. I have the first main quest completed and every side quest for the first area. I will have to step up my game big time to complete the game in the time limit I believe.

Should I just do all the main missions first and then the side quests? What side quests will I miss, since some of those too have a time limit if you let them sit.

So, to be very clear, I can blaze through the story, then not worry about the time at all and mop up all the achievements afterwards? Even if I could get, like, 80-90% of the :gsicon:, I would be happy. But I would never consider playing it if I'm timed after the story, or there is no gameplay after story.

So, to be very clear, I can blaze through the story, then not worry about the time at all and mop up all the achievements afterwards? Even if I could get, like, 80-90% of the :gsicon:, I would be happy. But I would never consider playing it if I'm timed after the story, or there is no gameplay after story.

Main quests are all that matters to be able to finish the game. You need to beat 40 side quests to gain access to the secret dungeon tho.

you are still on a timer but its more than enough

here's a guide from imaginary ruins

http://www.xboxachievements.com/forum/showthread.php?t=563020

I'm just worried about missing side quests that have a time limit to accept when you first see them/encounter them. Like the phone ringing one, it can be failed if you let it ring for 3 days without answering. And others can only be completed at certain times too.

Beating the game is a non issue. I don't expect it to be a problem. I just want to know what side quests I will miss by completing the main storyline first and neglecting them until the end.

What you linked is an achievement guide. Those are generally useless for rpgs that are timed and have you needing to do things in a timely fashion. Although I appreciate the time people take to make them, I have never found them useful. Saying a game has many missable achievements, but not going in depth into them seems a little odd to me. Mainly because it would be too much work. Because timed rpgs make the game too much of a hassle :).

Looks like I will have to spend 30 minutes researching a quest list and then planning out a fucking 30-40 hour playthrough for a genre meant and made for relaxing and having fun. I just plain hate JRPGS anymore now that they have achievements.

If you want a horror story, look up star ocean for the 360, I heard it takes 700 hours to 1k. I completed tales of vesperia though and that seems to be a 130 hour to 1k.

Moral of the story... I buy rpgs to relax, not to plan my next 5 steps. Why can't they quit experimenting with the genre? It's going the way of their por... uhm. Yeah. Joking.

Edited by Sizzy

I'm just worried about missing side quests that have a time limit to accept when you first see them/encounter them. Like the phone ringing one, it can be failed if you let it ring for 3 days without answering. And others can only be completed at certain times too.

Beating the game is a non issue. I don't expect it to be a problem. I just want to know what side quests I will miss by completing the main storyline first and neglecting them until the end.

Agreed completely. The guide in this forum is very barebones, and doesn't provide nearly enough information.

Best thing you can do is pls the game and remember what happens when. There is ng+ learn as you go then next play through with all your stats carried over and items weapons you will stronger faster and you will be able to prioritize better.

surely you don't need a guide for every little detail. Enjoy the game and explore some things yourself. This game isn't hard at all

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

Best thing you can do is pls the game and remember what happens when. There is ng+ learn as you go then next play through with all your stats carried over and items weapons you will stronger faster and you will be able to prioritize better.

Some players, like myself, are uninterested in NG+. I just wanna play it once, get everything I can, and move on, as I'm not interested nearly as much in this new, action-based FF movement (let's not get started on an FF style debate lol). If I can blaze through the story and then mop up, I might start playing this again tonight. I never even finished the second chapter because the timer pissed me off.

Some players, like myself, are uninterested in NG+. I just wanna play it once, get everything I can, and move on, as I'm not interested nearly as much in this new, action-based FF movement (let's not get started on an FF style debate lol). If I can blaze through the story and then mop up, I might start playing this again tonight. I never even finished the second chapter because the timer pissed me off.
well I can understand where your coming from but if you want to do everything in your first plauthrough then like other jrpgs your not going to unless you read a full blown step by step guide and in that case your just spoiling it for yourself.

this game is so short you can get every achievement in 70 hours. If you pls jrpgs a lot then its not really long when you compare it to say star ocean or tales of vesperia for example both games with a ton of missables

get past chapter 2 and you will see just how short the game really is there are only 5 main story quests and 1 of them is literrally just a collection quest so it might as well be 4 main quests

infact if you was to ignore all side quests and do all story missions sleep at the in the game could be beat in 5 hours easy which is what I find disappointing

Edited by Lewie B I ReQ

Great, thank you for that post, it cleared up what I needed to know. I beat Star Ocean II 17 times and ToV four times, I believe, as JRPGs are my favorite genre. Definitely used to them, so knowing that it gets short after chapter two is fantastic. Takes a lot of stress away from the timer. Thank you for your time and for your answers.

Great, thank you for that post, it cleared up what I needed to know. I beat Star Ocean II 17 times and ToV four times, I believe, as JRPGs are my favorite genre. Definitely used to them, so knowing that it gets short after chapter two is fantastic. Takes a lot of stress away from the timer. Thank you for your time and for your answers.

I just edited this bit in but if you did only story quests then slept at in to fast forward time the game can be beat in 5 hours easy. That to me is what I find disappointing. Not the time restriction that might as well not be there

I just edited this bit in but if you did only story quests then slept at in to fast forward time the game can be beat in 5 hours easy. That to me is what I find disappointing. Not the time restriction that might as well not be there

Huh, so, just played for a couple hours. Loaded my save, and apparently I was 22hrs in (I think some of that must be idle...), just starting 4-1, and only halfway through day three. I totally understand what you mean about having enough time and I'm not sure why I was so stressed about it before; I was clearly doing very well on my own for not following any kind of guide or walkthrough.

Oh well, I'm back at it and enjoying myself now that I know I can keep playing after the main story without having to worry about a timer. I'm gonna do all I can until the game "ends," and then do mop up! I'm glad I gave it another shot :)

Edit: Oh, and apparently hadn't played since February. Hooooo boy. Reading of the Database was had, let me tell you. I had no idea wtf was going on! Haha.

Edited by Floyd.

The timer was also a problem for me but I soon got used to it by keeping fighting enemies to gain EP to stop time. That way I had more than enough time to do everything.

Also, Floyd, my achievement guide is about getting achievements, not a walkthrough right from the beginning. I already included the initiation point and time of all side quests there. As long as you can prioritise the quests, you are fine. I can tell you I did every quest and still had 3 days left before the World's Last Day, in my 1st playthrough.

I didnt include much info about the quests as they contain huge spoilers. I am sorry if that caused inconvenience to you.

Edited by ImaginaryRuins

Don't sweat it, dude, I jumped to conclusions and your achievement guide is a help. Thanks for putting it together :) The only things I would actually criticise are lack of detail in the achievements and formatting. Other than that, it works just fine!

Edit: I just want to be clear that I'm not ragging on you for what work you did. Making a guide is hard work, and I appreciate the effort. Constructive criticism, hopefully.

Edit2: Globetrotter, for example, is very vague with the descriptions. It is a good starting point, but I would immediately google it instead for exact locations to not waste in-game time. Also, in descriptions like the one for Goddess of Death, you say things like, "you can get both kill 1 & 10 Last Ones achievements there." This is much better written as, "You can obtain both Harbinger of Death and Goddess of Death there." Putting the achievement name wherever possible instead of it's description makes a guide a lot easier to follow.

And why are the fonts different? Sorry, this is me being nitpicky, but after having just written the DA:I guide, I'm in a critical way right now. XBA's "guide to making guides" is very insistent on keeping the font universal.

Edited by Floyd.

I finished the second main quest, almost all side quests for the first aree aside from 3 that are currently under way, and half of the quests for the second area. I believe I am starting day 5 or 6.

I have to say though, 12 hours in and I have completely lost interest in playing since I have to look at a guide so heavily to feel like I am completing the game. The issue of the game and everything revolving around hours in the game, and limited hours to do this and that just... uhg. It's not fun. And this is coming from someone who completed Majora's mask with every single mask and item.

I just don't want to pick up where I left off. The fun isn't really there. I never though I would say this about a final fantasy game.

I grew up playing it. My FAVORITE RPG of all time was the American FF3. I played that when I was probably 10, and had maxed out two parties. It's just sad that Final Fantasy turned into this and an online mmorpg that was just as uninteresting to play.

Edited by Sizzy