Demo First Impressions?

For the most part, I can proudly say the Duke is finally back. The graphics were unfortunately a tad disappointing (I really thought they were at least going to be up to the quality of HL2 or DOOM 3.
lolwut? The graphics here are far better than in Doom 3.

In Duke 3D Health was much the same way.
You've clearly either never played Duke Nukem 3D or you played a vastly different version than I did. The health in this demo is nothing like the health in Duke Nukem 3D.

Honestly man, you're saying such randomly incorrect things that I'm wondering if you're not just here to troll.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea mjc is right about the health.

In Duke 3D, you start with 100 health and you use first aid kits kits to give your health back, the pack begins at 100% and if you are at 80 health, the pack goes from 100% to 80%, taking away 20% to give you full 100. You can also pick up small packs to restore health, as well as atomic healths which raise you 100 I think, or maybe 50. Can't recall.

Recharging health is cool and all, but it really takes away from the classic experience that Duke 3D and Doom gave us where we had to hunt for health packs if we were low. I recall my UV playthroughs of Doom and Doom 2 scouring the levels for just one more health kit to bring me to a higher number.

Good times gone by, sadly.

I did not enjoy the graphics. I really thought it would be much better. If I had walked in on someone playing this and I didn't know any better, I would've thought it was a 5 year old game or something.

I guess they started years ago, and didn't bother to clean up the graphics. "Ah, they'll live with it. We got funny lines and turds to throw, that'll make up for it"

I hope the disc version has better graphics... Just hoping for that at least.

I got some mixed feelings on the demo, first of all I started the demo on the hardest difficulty and while I assume the final version will be much harder the demo was a cakewalk. Graphics while not totally a huge issue could be a bit better, I was playing on max settings on my pc at 1920 x 1080 res and while some parts looked good others looked liked garbage. The 2 gun limit is kind of a turn off too since I am used to the original 12 you can carry around, and having to pick and choose what weapons you want is kinda a let down with this kind of game since some weapons work better in certain situations than others. Worst thing about the demo is there is no meat to this, I know they want to hold the good stuff for the retail release but the demo felt like they picked the most boring parts and called it a day.

I know they want to hold the good stuff for the retail release but the demo felt like they picked the most boring parts and called it a day.

That's exactly right. They purposely want to hold off showing us what really makes the game what it is because the demo is just meant to give us a taste of how it's played, not show us a lot of the game and spoil a lot of it. I guarantee the full game will be waaaay better.

lolwut? The graphics here are far better than in Doom 3.

You've clearly either never played Duke Nukem 3D or you played a vastly different version than I did. The health in this demo is nothing like the health in Duke Nukem 3D.

Honestly man, you're saying such randomly incorrect things that I'm wondering if you're not just here to troll.

Graphically the textures on a lot of the object models didn't possess as much... oomph. They didn't have the shiny effect that every Unreal 3 and IdTech 4 engine today possesses. Character models and terrain have it, but the rest of the models have more of an Unreal 2 appearance to them. Not to say the graphics are worse than DOOM 3, but they don't pop out as much.

And I was completely misunderstood on the Health Tidbit. I wasn't saying the two games use the same Health system at all. Only an idiot would think the two have anything in common at all. The person I originally quoted stated that he had an issue where his health was constantly being drained just by popping his head out. In response, I was merely saying that on Harder difficulties DN3D was the same way. Even with the Medkit system, you still had to be smart about your approach or they would strip you down in seconds. Especially in the later episodes.

That being said, I do miss the old Health System. I detest the concept of being able to hide and act like nothing happened. Especially in multiplayer where camping is consistently an issue because they eliminated the need to seek out health. After playing some games lately like Singularity, I can say the medkit system is still the most efficient system out there. At the very least, I think DNF should've gone with the Chronicles of Riddick and Halo Reach health system where it recharges partially, but medkits would be required to recover entirely. It's the best of both worlds because you still have to play smart, but you're also not stuck in a situation that would completely screw you over (I had a few situations in DN3D where I would be stuck with 5 or 10 health, no medkits anywhere to be found, and some enormous enemy with a chain gun ready to kick my ass. Always had to start the level over.)

How can you say I'm trolling? :( I've been frequenting this board for months raving about how awesome DNF is going to be and now how much I love the demo and can't wait for my Balls of Steel Edition. I've had it pre-ordered since 2001 and after 14 years of waiting, these last few months have easily been the most painful.

I stayed up till midnight just for my demo code! but I gotta say...IT WAS TOTALLY WORTH IT! I played it quite a few times before finally going to bed. I'm happy with what I played. I find it to be a little challenging, but that's fine by me! I was just so excited when I started it up, and Megadeth was playing...Ha, but yes, after I was done pissing, I went and found the toilets just for the turd. Drawing on the white board was fun. Also, has anyone been able to blow up the blimp when fighting the Cycloid Emperor? I couldn't. I it a crapload with the Devastators, but it didn't destroy it before it disappears. I love it when you're done drawing on the board and the dude says " I don't know what any of it means, but I bet if we would've done that, that guy over would still have his arm...and atleast one of his balls" and when he says "Why didn't we think of that...WHYYYYYYY!!!!!"

Definitely a nominee for Worst Game of the Year. I can't understand why so many people in this thread are so freaking positive about this Demo. Even the biggest Duke Nukem fanboys have to agree on the fact that the Demo was awful!

- Bad graphics (which I can understand)

- Awful controls

- Framerate problems (Crysis 2 having framerate problems makes sense but this game...?)

- 1 min. loading screen

- Overall, it was BORING.

This is unacceptable in 2011. Rather redo the whole thing by delaying it 2/3 years instead of releasing it June 10th. For 1200 MP it would have been a good deal though.

A lot of people won't agree with me but the critics are gonna destroy this game, you'll see.

PS: Gearbox, start working on Borderlands 2 instead of making DLC's for this game.

I enjoyed the demo. The controls are fast, shooting is fun, and gameplay was enjoyable. Obviously, as with any demo, there are a few things I hope don't make it into the full version. i.e. textures and walls disappearing on the truck level along with some frame rate issues.

I have high hopes that this game will have a lengthy campaign. It would be a shame to see this turn out to be a 5-6 hour game.

So is it not simply a pants-on-head retarded move to release such an old demo?

Did none of them think, "Hmmm, people may base the future of their preorder on this demo. Know what? It might be a good idea to show a newer version, one that doesn't have some of these flaws!"

(At least I hope they've bloody improved it from that...

Not even so much the graphics, not much can be done now and I don't care but even just make it so that I can move without it being so horribly clunky and heavy on the left stick.)

I enjoyed the demo. The controls are fast, shooting is fun, and gameplay was enjoyable. Obviously, as with any demo, there are a few things I hope don't make it into the full version. i.e. textures and walls disappearing on the truck level along with some frame rate issues.

I have high hopes that this game will have a lengthy campaign. It would be a shame to see this turn out to be a 5-6 hour game.

Randy has said that players are averaging 15-20 hours for the main game (not including speed runs obviously.) I would imagine the first or second time through will be longer because of all the exploring and finding all of the awesome little things hidden in the game (which I've been wondering how that will work. Is it going to do the old-fashioned "hit the action button and a panel opens up" or will it be more modern with things like hidden switches to unlock doors and random actions triggering hidden events (like the Megg in Halo 1 or the YTMND skull in Halo 2.)

It was good, better than I thought it would be. Gameplay is fun and quite easy to use, graphics aren't the best but they get the job done and the lines are as cheesy as ever.

But does anyone know if this is the exact same demo as the ones in Pax, I know it's the same levels but is it updated? If it is the exact same then I expect the full game to be even better.

Graphically the textures on a lot of the object models didn't possess as much... oomph. They didn't have the shiny effect that every Unreal 3 and IdTech 4 engine today possesses. Character models and terrain have it, but the rest of the models have more of an Unreal 2 appearance to them. Not to say the graphics are worse than DOOM 3, but they don't pop out as much.

And I was completely misunderstood on the Health Tidbit. I wasn't saying the two games use the same Health system at all. Only an idiot would think the two have anything in common at all. The person I originally quoted stated that he had an issue where his health was constantly being drained just by popping his head out. In response, I was merely saying that on Harder difficulties DN3D was the same way. Even with the Medkit system, you still had to be smart about your approach or they would strip you down in seconds. Especially in the later episodes.

That being said, I do miss the old Health System. I detest the concept of being able to hide and act like nothing happened. Especially in multiplayer where camping is consistently an issue because they eliminated the need to seek out health. After playing some games lately like Singularity, I can say the medkit system is still the most efficient system out there. At the very least, I think DNF should've gone with the Chronicles of Riddick and Halo Reach health system where it recharges partially, but medkits would be required to recover entirely. It's the best of both worlds because you still have to play smart, but you're also not stuck in a situation that would completely screw you over (I had a few situations in DN3D where I would be stuck with 5 or 10 health, no medkits anywhere to be found, and some enormous enemy with a chain gun ready to kick my ass. Always had to start the level over.)

How can you say I'm trolling? :( I've been frequenting this board for months raving about how awesome DNF is going to be and now how much I love the demo and can't wait for my Balls of Steel Edition. I've had it pre-ordered since 2001 and after 14 years of waiting, these last few months have easily been the most painful.

How could anyone think you're not trolling.

1.Profile pic

2.Quote in signature

Grow up...

Anyway how do you get access to this demo? Do you have to pre-order the game?

Edited by jamie1000013

I fail to understand what my profile pic and signature has to do with trolling, Duke Nukem, videogames or really anything at all for that matter. It's just a profile picture and signature. And a few weeks from now it will come time for me to change it to something else, be it a similar theme or something wildly different. Hell, it might even be changed tomorrow if I can get what I'm working on finished tonight.

And yes. Access to the demo was granted through a code given out on pre-order receipts as well as codes included with the purchase of Borderlands GOTY edition. I'm sure you can find copies of the PC version online somewhere though. Otherwise the demo will most likely be released publicly sometime on or shortly after the full game releases in the states.

How did this thread go from demo discussion to a debate of whether or not someone is trolling? Lol.

Anyway, a lot of people over on the Gearbox forums and such are doing lots of investigative work to figure out which version of the game the demo is. A lot of people, myself included, believe that it's the PAX East demo build. I personally hope so.

Even if it's not, I still enjoyed the demo. I could really care less what the graphics are like, hell I'd accept them either way, whether they're the 1998, 2001, or current graphics. I just want to play the damn game!

Bring on June 14th. DNF will kick ass no matter what.

What a waste of 1.6GB of date and time. It felt I was playing a 10 year old game @ 640x480 with piss poor textures. After playing such delicacies like Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, etc this is a huge step backwards in gaming IMO. Not worth $60 but at best a rental if you seek out the game's achievements.

I honestly looks exactly the same in graphical terms as Damnation which had 1/10 of the budget 3D Realms had and it had COOP! Puke Nukem not Duke Nukem!

How did this thread go from demo discussion to a debate of whether or not someone is trolling? Lol.

Anyway, a lot of people over on the Gearbox forums and such are doing lots of investigative work to figure out which version of the game the demo is. A lot of people, myself included, believe that it's the PAX East demo build. I personally hope so.

Even if it's not, I still enjoyed the demo. I could really care less what the graphics are like, hell I'd accept them either way, whether they're the 1998, 2001, or current graphics. I just want to play the damn game!

Bring on June 14th. DNF will kick ass no matter what.

Was the second level in the Demo even present at PAX? I'm pretty sure only the first level was made publicly playable, but curiously enough it looked sharper and more modern than level 2 did. That leaves to question just how old the version of Lvl 2 is.

It was ok. But i am not too worried about the graphics. i am sure this the game will be better. Overall i did not cancel my pre order. the cheevos sound fun too. Can anyone say TURD BURGULAR? lol

It's a shame the Turd Burglar achievement will be the first thing anybody finds in the game. I was hoping for a little bit of a hunt for it. Oh well. At least we can actually pick it up and do things with it. (I tried writing Dukes name on the wall, but it started to disappear before I finished my E. D: )

I cancelled my pre-order. I've been playing Duke Nukem since the side-scrolling DOS game, so I wasn't exactly thrilled to have my childhood memories of the character tainted by a double BJ. Is Gearbox staffed entirely by 14 year old stoners? Or are they just adults with no sense of decency? Seriously, though, I'm not buying this game unless it's got a parental control system like the PC version of Duke 3D. Somebody let me know if it does, because then I'll be all over it.

Is everyone basing all of their opinions off of a DEMO? I mean really. It's only two parts of the entire game. I can't believe some people in this world. Lastly, and most importantly, GRAPHICS AREN'T EVERYTHING. Look at Duke 3D. Those graphics aren't so good now are they? It's the gameplay that counts and the value you get from playing.