Where would you stand if DRM was still implemented?

JORDAN K 95

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We had quite a few DRM defenders during E3 on this site.

I think MS saw the Sony conference and shit their pants. They probably felt Sony was doing the same that they were, as far as internet and DRM, and when they realized they weren't they knew they were handing over next-gen.

I still laugh at people who defend the hell out of DRM. "But... steam!" "But... family sharing!"

I still laugh at people who defend the hell out of DRM. "But... steam!" "But... family sharing!"

You and me both. I find it funny that they think family sharing actually meant you and 9 members of your "family" could access the entirety of the same game for the price of one copy of that game. As if that wouldn't hurt them more than used game sales would have given how much people would have exploited the hell out of that.

You and me both. I find it funny that they think family sharing actually meant you and 9 members of your "family" could access the entirety of the same game for the price of one copy of that game. As if that wouldn't hurt them more than used game sales would have given how much people would have exploited the hell out of that.

No more than people can currently exploit tag sharing with relation to DLC/XBLA games.

Anyway, iirc it was limited to 4 named accounts, and that would of suited me just fine.

But yes, when Sony announced they werent going down the same DRM route, MS had to concede. Just a shame for me personally, but I understand probably better for the mass consumer market.

And what good does speculating do other than stir insignificant discussion.
Everything we do is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

However it's like Eleanor said; "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

If you're contempt with only talking about what has happened, then I guess that's nice for you.

Stay madveraged.

It would've worked if they were timed demos like some users reported although that would've caused it's own share of problems :p.

But that is how it worked. How would you exploit that?

EDIT: Steam clearly thinks it'll work since they are implementing their own version of digital game sharing that sounds almost identical to the Xbox One family sharing.

Edited by xhunterrrr

Everything we do is insignificant in the grand scheme of things.

However it's like Eleanor said; "Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

If you're contempt with only talking about what has happened, then I guess that's nice for you.

Stay madveraged.

I never said I was, but I thank you for assuming.

Great minds do indeed discuss ideas...ideas of the future, not ideas that "could have happened."

I loved the DRM (as I understood it anyway.... well as much as anyone understood it)

I have 3 gamertags in my house, and 4 360s and a One (myself and my two daughters). I have had the "family" gold pack for a couple years. When they killed that (when they announced the One) I was seriously hoping that the "family sharing" meant that I could buy and play across all 4 consoles without having gamertag issues and which console and gamertag had downloaded THAT content. I was ecstatic that the headache would be gone. Hell, I would have kept doing the $100 a year JUST to do that.

I don't trade games so that was irrelevant (to me), all my consoles are connected 24x7 anyway (my One has been hardwired and online since the 22nd and I am pretty sure the only time it has even been completely off was when they did the patch last week and I was out of town for three days) s that part didn't matter. I would go digital only without hesitation if the above issues were met even.

DRM is in everything (yes even the PS4) this was just a new type. I didn't care about the changes and honestly I feel the people that scream about it the loudest are the ones that are trying to circumvent paying 95% of the time and not over some actual, real life problem with the requirements of the protection.

Idiocy aside...I think in practice it's a decent idea, being able to share games and utilize them, but it needs refinement. If a game is installed, it should be playable under any circumstance. In this way the 360 is a step up from the XBox One: I can still enjoy games fully even offline. Games that you only download shouldn't foul up just because of a connection error.

The biggest problem though is a plan like this isn't going to work out of the gate. I know nobody with an xbox one who I'd have on a family plan like that, and it's not because "PS4 IZ BETTERZ" but because the cost is too high for most people to justify. That's a reasonable problem. The XBox One won't become a household staple for awhile because people won't pay that kinda money until the games become cheaper.

I can wait to see where it goes. It's a good idea. But right now they're competing with themselves and the older model's still getting a lot more playtime.

Idiocy aside...I think in practice it's a decent idea, being able to share games and utilize them, but it needs refinement. If a game is installed, it should be playable under any circumstance. In this way the 360 is a step up from the XBox One: I can still enjoy games fully even offline. Games that you only download shouldn't foul up just because of a connection error.

The biggest problem though is a plan like this isn't going to work out of the gate. I know nobody with an xbox one who I'd have on a family plan like that, and it's not because "PS4 IZ BETTERZ" but because the cost is too high for most people to justify. That's a reasonable problem. The XBox One won't become a household staple for awhile because people won't pay that kinda money until the games become cheaper.

I can wait to see where it goes. It's a good idea. But right now they're competing with themselves and the older model's still getting a lot more playtime.

I agree with the cost being high. But only right NOW. Knowing that it would be available if/when I decide to upgrade all the 360s in my house (there are 4) and be able to share with my daughters without having to buy all my content 3 times would have been nice upside (not to mention paying for the extra consoles from savings on content).

They could even lock the content to a specific IP when sharing (IE only in one specific household) and I would pick up at least one more console for my kids to share NOW. I am already roughly $200 into content that I wouldn't have to rebuy which is almost halfway there.

I agree that my 360 gets more playtime currently, but that is due to lack of content more than dislike of the new system.

The deal breaker for me was the used game DRM policy. Honestly, once they announced that, AND that jackass Don Mattrick made those ignorant comments regarding always on and soldiers overseas I started following Sony and never looked back. I played quite a bit on my PS3 but my 360 was my main console since IMO was way superior for most games. I think I made the right decision for me even now by going with the PS4 and keeping my Xbox 360.

Based on the overwhelming negative reaction from gamers across all communities, it was evident that many people did not share the same vision that Microsoft had of what the future of gaming should be.

The problem is their 'vision' was less about advancing gaming and more about getting into bed with developers/publishers at our expense, and probably betting the farm that it wouldn't be a big deal since Sony would do the same. Then Sony comes out and announces they're getting into bed with their customers and Microsoft was left holding the bag.

Microsoft basically made a bet it could never win, and do no better than push; Sony made a bet they could win, and could do no worse than push.

Anyway, I have both 360 and PS3. I was only going to get a One, but immediately set my sights on the PS4 after the debacle. But once Microsoft wised up, I pre-ordered my One and have loved it.

if Microsoft had a "Steam-like store for consoles" mindset I'd be all for their old DRM policies. Now if the old policies were implemented and we were still paying $60 for a digital game on the Store it wouldn't take very long for people to drop the Xbox One.

well Im still pissed that Microsoft changed their minds after E3. I was really looking forward to all the benefits it was going to have like game library sharing. I think Microsoft worse mistake was to change everything after E3. I bought an xbox 1 and PS4 and xbox by far is going to be a better system. they should of called the ps4 the ps3.5. they added party chat and a share button but pretty much everything the same as ps3. I dont see much in difference of graphics on both system and PlayStation adding things xbox360 already had. Xbox 1 all the way but hope they bring back that was talked about at E3

I really find the whole family sharing thing really hard to believe, assuming my understanding of it is correct. I couldn't really see the likes of EA or Activision sitting back saying 'Oh, so with every game we sell we have the potential to lose another 9 sales? That sounds great!'

Again, assuming my understanding of how it was going to work is correct.

• 2 weeks later...
I really find the whole family sharing thing really hard to believe, assuming my understanding of it is correct. I couldn't really see the likes of EA or Activision sitting back saying 'Oh, so with every game we sell we have the potential to lose another 9 sales? That sounds great!'

Again, assuming my understanding of how it was going to work is correct.

From what I understood of it, is that you can share a game with "Family", but only one person (or two) can play it at the same time? This is what I had understood from it, so if you wanted to play with a friend they would actually have to have their own copy of the game. It was kind of like lending the game or just letting someone else play it when you are not?

I could be way off, but I do believe it was something along those lines when all the games were suppose to be Digital.

The 24 hour checkin thing bothered me and would've probably been a dealbreaker, the no-used games policy didn't.

I get that when I buy used games I give no money to Microsoft, who provides the platform, and none to the developers who worked to create the title. I merely give money to the person who already did that. Or, if bought from Gamestop, I make profits for Gamestop but, again, none to the developers.

I'd much rather have a system like Steam, without actually using Steam.