One With the Shadows Question

bmakar83

Got it! Finally. I can confirm, at least on easy, that evasion doesn't count as a sighting as I got caught once and evasion kicked in right before the guy took a judo flip to oblivion.

Nasri, Airfield and CIA were my golden 3. Off to finish the rest of these achievements and hopefully hit `Hard to Read` before the end of my Hard playthrough... Though I'm not sure about that as I only have Taipei and AP left.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got it! Finally. I can confirm, at least on easy, that evasion doesn't count as a sighting as I got caught once and evasion kicked in right before the guy took a judo flip to oblivion.

Nasri, Airfield and CIA were my golden 3. Off to finish the rest of these achievements and hopefully hit `Hard to Read` before the end of my Hard playthrough... Though I'm not sure about that as I only have Taipei and AP left.

Did you take down all the guards, or the less than 5, as I found today? Which by the way was on Obsidian's AP forum. I did airfield with 4 subdued and CIA with 2 subdued. It will take me awhile to figure out how to do only 4 at Molotek.

I went through all three missions I mentioned before, with evasion kicking in, and I didn't get the achievement. On my last run through, I went through this time making sure I didn't get the evasion kicking at all, and after I finished the CIA mission, the achievement unlocked.

Did you take down all the guards, or the less than 5, as I found today? Which by the way was on Obsidian's AP forum. I did airfield with 4 subdued and CIA with 2 subdued. It will take me awhile to figure out how to do only 4 at Molotek.

I did melee take downs on almost every guard in every level & still got the achievement. I never tranq'ed more than four in a level though.

Damn ... sorry for everyone who's having trouble with this achiev, that sucks. I'll add what I did to get it, not sure if this will help.

Missions I used:

CIA mission

G22 warehouse (the guy with the yellow arrow either doesn't count or yellow arrows don't count period - but I'm %100 sure this mission counts for the achievement because it's the one I unlocked it on)

And IIRC the mission where you catch up to Surkov.

I only used sneak up takedowns and one-hit, headshot tranquilizer pistol shots (don't know how many times I used the tranq pistol, sorry). I used evasion on more than one occasion. Reloaded checkpoints if I screwed up, of course.

Also, on both the CIA and G22 missions you get a clear indicator whether or not you killed anyone (in the CIA mission you get a perk, G22 mission Albatross thanks you for not killing anyone).

Anyone have any pointers for the fucking Surkov mission. HOLY FUCK am I getting pissed at it. I'm having trouble with the game registering enemies. After you hack that second computer you come to (the one that is an objective) and you can go through an opening and it'll auto-save. Well before going through that opening there's usually a guy standing there, that will walk back into that big room and then come back. Well if I mess up and have to reload my save there (which I have EVERY time so far) it spawns me in the middle of the opening AND THAT GUY DOESN'T EVER SPAWN. Until that is I go further into the room where there's like 4 guys walking around the HE SPAWNS BEHIND ME. Not only that but I've counted the arrows on my screen walked in and used Evasion / Shadow Operative to kill everyone and MORE enemies just up and spawn in the room for no reason. I literally watched a guy appear out of no where.

So yeah tl;dr: I need a few pointers for getting through this room.

There's a lot of people in that last room, including on the upper levels, where they can spot you from. It is very difficult to silently clean of enemies, and has hardly any loot (an ammo pickup and a money clip, IIRC). Just activate Shadow Operative and move past the enemies quickly, to the stairs in the rear left of the office. A cutscene starts at the top of the stairs.

Edited by Tom Pladgett

This Achievement is definitely glitched - I finished all 5 of the possible missions Nasri, Al-Samad Airfield, Bug CIA Listening Post, Investigate Warehouse District and Stop Surkov escaping without any kills or alerts and it was only after the fifth mission (Stop Surkov) that I got the achievement.

And I know that I didn't just stuff up 2 of the missions because when I got the achievement I also got 2 perks - One With the Shadows and another one (Unseen something) for finishing 5 missions without setting off any alarms or killing more than five guys.

So, to be sure you're going to get it, do all 5 of the missions silently, and don't despair if it doesn't pop up after the third. It helps if you choose the Veteran option when you start a new game because you start off with heaps of extra AP to play with.

This Achievement is definitely glitched - I finished all 5 of the possible missions Nasri, Al-Samad Airfield, Bug CIA Listening Post, Investigate Warehouse District and Stop Surkov escaping without any kills or alerts and it was only after the fifth mission (Stop Surkov) that I got the achievement.

And I know that I didn't just stuff up 2 of the missions because when I got the achievement I also got 2 perks - One With the Shadows and another one (Unseen something) for finishing 5 missions without setting off any alarms or killing more than five guys.

So, to be sure you're going to get it, do all 5 of the missions silently, and don't despair if it doesn't pop up after the third. It helps if you choose the Veteran option when you start a new game because you start off with heaps of extra AP to play with.

I've gotten the Unseen Presence without getting One With the Shadows before. The hard part of Shadows is that no enemies can notice you at all. Which means you have an off the wall chance for an armored target to go red just before they pass out from a tranq shot, even with multiple chain shots to their head. It goes by so fast you almost can't see it, which is why I try to do melee take downs on every armored target when possible.

There's a lot of people in that last room, including on the upper levels, where they can spot you from. It is very difficult to silently clean of enemies, and has hardly any loot (an ammo pickup and a money clip, IIRC). Just activate Shadow Operative and move past the enemies quickly, to the stairs in the rear left of the office. A cutscene starts at the top of the stairs.

WOW! Really that's the last God-forsaken room? Funny thing is, I've made it to that stairwell using Shadow Operative and then I tried to take out the guards before I got to the top of the stairs. *facepalm* Well I guess I can finally finish this mission then. Thanks for the help.

Double post for more of my game being the best ever. Is the first guy in the Warehouse Mission always supposed to start out in Yellow mode? I've restarted the mission like 5 times and everytime before I even move he's yellow. >_<

EDIT: It doesn't matter. I got the achievement at the end of the mission. :D

Edited by kliqIMB

Here are some tips... although I wouldn't doubt that this achievement could be a little buggy.

The main thing to do would be to start a new game on easy as a veteran (Must beat the game as a recruit first). Undo all your points at the start and place as many points as you can into stealth and pistols. Stealth will let you permanently see your enemies positions through walls and later on activate an invisibility power. Having pistols will make it easier to take enemies down with well placed critical hit tranquilizer darts.

The missions I completed were The Air-post mission and the Nasari mission in Saudi Arabia, and the CIA post in Rome.

The rules would seem to be (Playing on easy at least) that you can't be seen by anybody. You can alert a yellow arrow (I did once during the Nasari mission in the final room) but not a red one on an enemy. This means you can't even let an enemy see a body.

Some general tips are that you should only take down enemies with take down attacks (B button when near an unwary guard), and silenced critical hit head shots with the pistol (Steel Core rounds should be used on the heavily armed guard in the last room on the Nasari mission.). Another tip would be that when you take down or tranq/shoot an enemy to turn around and look somewhere else until the body disapears. Alternatively if there are no enemies in the previous room from you, retreat as going far enough away from a body will make it vanish instantly. Lastly, always keep a recent save to reload or use an auto save in case you are seen by any guards.

Specific tips:

Air-post: Every time you hit a new checkpoint, try reloading the auto-save. This works on almost all missions to remove the enemies in the previous room from where you came in from, but on the air post it sometimes removes enemies in the next area. Ie... reload the first auto save to only need to dispatch the first guard and then only need to navigate the cameras in the first area. Also toward the end of the mission, instead of immediately going into the actual air tower first, head to the hanger on the opposite end (Place where you sabotage the crates) for an auto save and reload it. For some reason this places you on the other side of the gate, but when you retrace your steps to the air tower, only the guy guarding the console at it's top is there (near the main objective). Just dispatch him and hack the terminal to win undetected.

Nasari mission: On the Nasari mission, stealth is the key. Also to start this mission without allert status you must use the Intimidate (Y button) dialogue option to get in. Once inside, study patrols and learn the best way to handle them whether that is to take the enemies down or avoid them all together. The main issue is the end room with Nasari's guards. Just open the doors to the room and stay unexposed from the side. Almost every guard will make a patrol that nears the door. When they near, use a critical head shot with a tranq. When the armored super guard nears this position hit him with a Steel Core round instead. After each falls note that you must from the door your stationed, retreat quietly towards the door you entered this hallway in. This will immediately remove the body from the room leading to no more than a yellow alert status to guards before they reset. Also note that this resets the positions of the guards, so if your last man is standing on the lookout post, retreat and he may end up on ground level.

CIA listening post: By this point you should have enough points from the start of the game to buy as many points of stealth possible. You will then have the invisibility power (Forgot what it was called). With it, each time you encounter an enemy, before he sees you activate it and then walk up to him for a take down and then hide until the body disappears. Just do this for every enemy and use EMP grenades on terminals or locks with the B button (May need 2 levels of sabotage) to avoid the chance of a failed attempt setting off an alarm.

Heh... these were actually strategies I found while playing the game on Hard mode as a Recruit, but they seemed to work very well for this pesky achievement. As I said though, the achievement could be a little buggy as some people seem to say that it is for them.

i just got this doing 3 missions, did the first 2 in SA then went to Mos and was going to do surkvs mission but for some reason i didn't get the mission so i went to rome and did the CIA mission and got it, i didn't use my gun once just used takedowns.

Also i had a giltch happen in the hotel mission in taipei where heck didn't attack the guard in the room when you get out the lift, so all the guards stayed green, i took them out and finished the level without be detected but idk if it would of counted as i already had the achievement.

The giltch happened by reloading the first checkpoint when i went down the lift (and killed a guard by mistake which game me a -1 to mina :/ lol).

Hope this helps.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/achievements/665/UPrEWEs=.jpgOne With The Shadows 5 http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/../images/site/gp-g.png

Complete 3 missions with less than 5 kills and with no enemies alerted to your presence.

This achievement is a complete pain, as not only are you limited to not being able to kill enemies, you must also finish the missions without an enemy being alerted to you. What makes it so bad is that out of all of the missions in the game, there are only five missions where it's possible to pull it off. Every other mission in the game at one point or another forces you into a firefight, which automatically alerts all enemies to your presence.

The five possible missions in the game where it is possible to complete without alerting enemies at all are as follows.

Saudi Arabia:

Bug Al-Samad Airfield

Intercept Nasiri the Weapons Dealer: This mission is very difficult to complete stealthily, especially the final room, due to the fact it's so early in the game. If you cannot pull it off, you can try to play the other missions and get the achievement through them.

Moscow:

Prevent Surkov's Escape: Must make a deal with at the end of the mission with Surkov, or you will be forced to fight.

Rome:

Bug CIA Listening Post

Taipei:

Investigate Warehouse District

There are many things you need to keep in mind when focusing on stealth missions. Here are some tips to help make it easier on yourself.

-If someone sees you, just load your last checkpoint. You do not need to reload the entire level, so don't worry about that.

- If you plan on getting this achievement, you can make it much easier on yourself by putting 5 points into the Stealth skill right away for Master Awareness. Awareness is a very useful skill, as it will not only tell you where all the enemies are, but it will also tell you there status. Blue arrows above means they are normal, yellow means they are investigating, and red means they have been alerted to you. Many people believe that if the enemies status ever changes from normal, that they need to load the last checkpoint. This is not the case. As long as an enemies are not fully alerted(red arrow), you're fine.

- Never, ever kill anyone. No matter if you knock someone out or kill them, they will be down for good, so there really is no point in actually killing. That means, there are only two ways you can properly take care of enemies. You can either use Tranquilizer Darts, or Takedowns.

- Pay very close attention to what armor you are wearing. While heavy armor increases your endurance and allows you to carry more items, it also makes you walk heavier. Whenever you do a mission solely for stealth, stick with armor that does not decrease your sound dampening. Endurance does not matter, as if you play the mission right, you don't need to be able to take more hits.

- As well as heavily investing into Stealth, Pistols should be the very next important thing. Pistols are the only firearm that are capable of not killing, via Tranquilizer Darts. As such, it's the only way of knocking out guards without getting close for a takedown. On top of that, using Chain Shot with tranquilizer rounds will allow you to take down multiple enemies all at the same time. At the beginning of the game, you are automatically given a silencer, make sure you put it on right away!

- Using gadgets for a stealth mission not only costs you extra money, but is a huge mistake, save for the Sound Generator. Even still, the Sound Generator is very expensive, so it isn't something you should rely on. Every offensive gadget aside from the Shock Trap kills, so you cannot use them. Even the Shock Trap isn't good, as after it activates, it doesn't knock an enemy out right away. For a few seconds, they will be stunned, and during that time, they will automatically be alerted to you, even if they didn't see you, forcing you to have to reload.

- If anyone ever sees a body lying around, they will automatically start investigating, which can be a pain to deal with. Unfortunately, you cannot move bodies around, so this can be a huge pain if you knock an enemy out too close to another ones pathway. There is, however, one way to avoid this for the most part. As soon as someone's been knocked down, make sure that you move the camera around so that you cannot see them, and start moving away from the body. Stay away for about ten seconds or so, and when you come back, the body will have disappeared, leaving no chance of someone finding their fallen comrade.

I followed this guide by GameFreak47 and it worked wonders for me. After completing the mission in Rome where you bug the CIA listening post, after I beat the level, the achievement unlocked. So I don't know if this achievement is bugged, according to some people who said they had to beat 5 levels without being seen, but I can recall only completing 3 levels without being seen and got the achievement.

The levels I beat were Rome's CIA listening post, Moscow's preventing Surkov's escape, and Saudi Araba's bugging Al-Samad's airfield. The Saudi Araba level was the toughest because 1, I'm playing on Recruit so I didn't start off with any points and I had to work on upgrading stealth...and 2, I didn't have a stealth suit yet. The other two levels I worked on upgrading stealth and once I unlocked the perks Silent Running and Shadow Operative, it was cake. But if Saudi Araba is too difficult to complete for players trying to get this achievement, do it on Taipei instead but definitely stay stealthy on the 2 Rome and Moscow missions.

So don't thank me, thank GameFreak47 for this info. He's the reason why I got this achievement and I thank him for it.

Edited by lboog_081284

Having exactly the same problem !! done 4 missions, no alerts, no deaths, tranqs and take-downs only !! no effing ach. i only need this one to finish the poxy game. Really dont want to have to play this shitfest a fourth time but will give it one more go. Can anybody explain the exact requirements or is the the ach genuinely shagged ?

I just got this achievement.. and let me tell you, it's the most I've EVER worked for 5 gamerscore.

I did it by starting off with 5 points in Stealth.

Save.

Then I did Bug the Airfield. If you do this mission correctly, Mina will comment that there was no news about your exploits on the Al-Samad radiowaves.

Then I did Nsari. This one isn't that difficult until the very end. First, use Aggressive to get through the gates - it's the only way that doesn't sound an alarm that destroys this achievement. At the second to last room, just go along the right wall, being mindful of the arrows pointing out the directions the enemies are facing. You can get through this room without killing anyone. The very last room gave me a LOT of trouble. I couldn't figure it out. Until finally i discovered a little glitch. If you kill one of the guys, discreetly, and run away, when you return, the room will have one less guy (not always in the same position you shot. Simply incapacitate the guy in the far back with steel-core rounds (2x chainshot), then run away. Come back, and the room will have one less guy. Incapacitate another guy and then run away until the room is basically empty of guys. Once I discovered this, I cleared the room in about 2 minutes, after trying for 2 hours to do it legit. I spared Nsari, just incase that counted as a "kill". wouldn't want to lose the achievement because of that.

Then I did the Taipei Warehouse District. This was probably a bad idea, as ALL of my points were in Pistol and Stealth. If you're going to do this, make sure you have a couple points in Sabotage, for Binary Invisibility and the first skill, which allows you to use EMPs on panels without destroying them. This one wasn't that bad, until the very end. Once you open the warehouse doors, watch out for the guard behind the boxes to your left, then go to the right to the end of the loading bay, Double Shot the two guards as they approach the top, then go along the far side path and double shot the other two guards (including the one you had to avoid leaving this area.) Now you get to the hardest part of the mission if your AP isn't spent appropriately. There's a camera next to the last panel that's very fast. I threw an EMP to disable the camera (it doesn't seem to disable the panel), then I hacked the panel. If you have BI, this would be a lot easier. Just have to be quick with the hacking. If you do this mission correctly, Albatross will comment that you can be very silent.

a few notes, definitively - On easy mode at least, Yellow Markers do not void the achievement at all. I had LOTS AND LOTS of yellow markers on the G22 mission. Alarms definitely do. Tranqs/Takedowns don't void the achievement no matter the number (I had to clear EVERY SINGLE enemy in the G22 mission) Although the mission for this achievement can be a lot more exciting if you leave people alive.

Hardest 5 gamerpoints ever. But very vindicating to get it done.

If you don't get the confirmation of the Bug the Airfield in your first try, go back to your old save. I can assure you this achievement would be almost impossible without getting that one.

There's definitely no glitch for this achievement/perk. I got it everytime I tried.

You have to realise one thing when using tranquillizer darts, they do damage over time, so even if the target is not taken out from the raw damage of the dart, it will collapse from the DoT, but that voids your achievement.

A few ways to avoid that: play on easy or use a more powerful gun (UC series).

I really wish there were more missions without forced alerts. I feel cheated when I try so hard to not be noticed throughout the entire mission then have a forced shootout at the end. I remember reading about this achievement before the game came out and thinking it would be one of the easier achievements for a stealth veteran like myself. How wrong was I?

Looking at the list I only have one of the achievable missions left "Prevent Surkov", and I still haven't got the achievement. I won't hold my breath for it to pop but I'll definitely make a deal as is suggested.