Dam Level on Veteran - Checkpoint Guide

Muckrak3r

Okay, I know there is a generic overall guide for every level. (that gave the dam a 3/5). For me I would give the dam level an 8/5. Part of it was I didn't even know there was a right path when you were overlooking the turbines until I read about it on here, and part of it was that damn music, siren, and announcement blaring. I had to have the volume up so I could hear when guys died and when guys were rushing me around corners and the subconscious frustration from that German noise definitely added to my woes. Also, make sure and ALWAYS use the corner lean (d-pad) trick if you don't know where the enemies are as the enemies rarely shoot you in that lean. I went nice and slow on my successful dam run and used the corner trick at least 100 times.

The next thing is, I had to have 100% health to reach certain checkpoints down below inside the dam. Not 80 or 90 but MAX HEALTH. I kept getting really close to the areas where the checkpoints were, but one stupid guy would pop up and put one stupid bullet into me, I would keep going and NEVER get another checkpoint.

When you go down below after the first elevator ride and you kill a few guys in an electrical box room, make sure you are at 100% health before advancing. There is a CHECKPOINT just before the room that overlooks the turbines. I did get this checkpoint at 50% health once, and had to restart the level in order to unlock later checkpoints.

The next checkpoint is a long long ways away. Here's how to get there. In the room that overlooks the turbines, turn right and go along the catwalks and hallways killing as you go. You have to make your way around and go down the elevator and keep killing. *Remember, if you take one bullet or any damage, just die and restart from your full health checkpoint outside the turbine window room.* Once you clear the 3 guys that run at you at the bottom of the elevator ride (go prone and hug the right wall of the elevator) and then the straggler that comes running down the hall when you leave the elevator, get ready to go frag happy. At the end of that hall where the pillars are SEVERAL guys will spawn and they want to corner shot you with their Kar's. Toss frags everywhere around there and stay back so the frags bits don't hurt you. There are 2 frag ammo's right outside the elevator so don't worry about inventory. Then, after all those guys are wiped out, carefully continue along killing and going slow as you make your way down past the turbines and into a long curved hallway. Now the rest of the way to the checkpoint isn't crazy hard but there are plenty of places where you can take some damage so go slow. At the end of the long curved hallway one or two guys will come out and snipe at you, I handled them easily with the auto-aim mp40 (which I used for 99% of this level). Then there are some stairs to go up and near the top 2 guys will rush you, just stay crouched and auto-aim them. Getting close to the checkpoint now. In the room at the top of the stairs there are a couple guys near crates, take them out. When that room is clear, move to the door that leads outside. There are 2 guys out there and this is where at least 10 times I took damage and didn't get a checkpoint. If you kill the 2 guys outside at the base of the dam and have 100% health you should get a CHECKPOINT. Now the longest/hardest part of this level is saved and done.

The next checkpoint isn't too far to get to, but again I had to be max health. In the small room after being outside one or two guys come through the door. Then in the room where you do the 4 detonators kill the one guy that goes into the center of the room after you corner peak. Now after entering the room and going far enough, several guys spawn. This is the 2nd place I went frag happy. Multi frag the door across from you, and also the right wall. Stay in cover and listen to how many die and then mp40 the rest. Apply the detonators. Outside at the AA gun there is only one dude, corner mp40 him and then crawl to detonate that gun, get up and run back inside until it blows. After it blows, there are only 3 guys left to kill before the next checkpoint. Stay down and go slow. One guy is running around randomly on the grassy area between you and the next AA gun, take him out with the mp40 after leaving the 1st AA gun area, then grab the scoped Kar on the brick wall and take out the other 2 guys. Just be patient on these 3 kills and after you detonate the 3rd AA gun and are max health, CHECKPOINT.

When you go back inside that room where you set the 4 charges, several guys will come at you, mp40 them and move on. After the small outside area a few guys will be in the crate room. Down the stairs you go and at the end of the long curved hall 3 or 4 will rush in, I auto mp40'd them and at the end of the long hall at 100% health I got another CHECKPOINT.

Now right after this checkpoint there are 3 dudes overlooking you and sniping at you around the corner. I ended up losing half health here because you are in such a bad spot, and I got more checkpoints later. Corner lean mp40 them as well as you can and around the next corner to the left 2 or 3 guys will come down those stairs. Handle them and make your way back to the elevator for a ride up. At the elevator if you have more than 50% health you get a CHECKPOINT.

On the elevator ride up, go prone looking at the wall as that will be the exit. Hug the right side of the elevator. Mow down the guys there, I think 4. The rest of the way out is pretty easy and you don't need a guide for that. The enemies seem to come in bunches with clear spots in between. Just take your time. The hardest parts of the level is over, and I'm sure the hardest level of the game for that matter.

Hopefully this guide helps somebody as I reloaded checkpoints on this level a minimum of 60 times. More than any other COD game on Veteran for me ever!

Edited by Muckrak3r

Sorry about saying that the level of difficulty for it was 3/5, when I did it on PC it wasn't bad because I could quicksave, now I know that it deserves a 4/5 or even 5/5, but I wouldn't rate it 5/5 personally. Now that I've beaten it on Veteran on the arcade version finally, I can say myself that it was way harder. I'm going to go change my guide up some to how I beat it and the easy way anyway. Great guide for this level by the way, very detailed.

Sorry about saying that the level of difficulty for it was 3/5, when I did it on PC it wasn't bad because I could quicksave, now I know that it deserves a 4/5 or even 5/5, but I wouldn't rate it 5/5 personally. Now that I've beaten it on Veteran on the arcade version finally, I can say myself that it was way harder. I'm going to go change my guide up some to how I beat it and the easy way anyway. Great guide for this level by the way, very detailed.

Thanks - I knew there was an explanation why you gave it 3/5 !!!

Feel free to link to this or use the info in your guide, which is great btw.

I wonder if a single cunt at Infinity Ward has actually beaten this level on Vet. I fucking doubt it. It astounds me how they got to where they are with this heap of sputum. How is this legally classed as entertainment??

Many times in this game I wondered if the Dev's could actually beat it. I SERIOUSLY FREAKING DOUBT IT.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

These are the checkpoints from the start to the return to the top of the dam:

dam Start 0:00:03

dam-1 On the Dam 0:04:00

dam-2 Entering the Dam 0:11:56

dam-3 The Control Room 0:17:11

dam-4 Below the Turbines 0:23:15

dam-5 At the Base of the Dam 0:29:28

dam-6 Starting the Return 0:38:25

dam-7 End of the Long Tunnel 0:44:02

dam-8 Back up the Second Elevator 0:47:28

dam-9 Return to the Control Room 0:51:07

dam-10 Back to the Top of the Dam 0:53:02

I maintained 100% health at the start of every checkpoint. The times in the right column is the time to reach the end of that checkpoint from the start of the level as reported by the game. So if one is a perfect player, the level will take about an hour to complete. Sad to say, I am far from perfect. It took me many iterations to complete the descent to the bottom of the dam. Although not the most difficult level of the game to this point (N.B. I think Pegasus Day was insanely difficult), it was quite a challenge.

Now if only I can survive the truck ride to the airport.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, this level has way too few checkpoints. I've tried to beat it multiple times now and I can't manage to get past that long stretch right in the middle of the level without the checkpoint. If there were checkpoints properly set throughout the level that didn't require max health, this level would be a fucking breeze. However, it has to be extremely difficult.

I don't remember it being this hard on Regular. In fact, I remember it being one of the easier British levels. Regardless, I hate the British campaign. Maybe the Soviet one will be easier on Veteran like it was on Regular.

(N.B. I think Pegasus Day was insanely difficult), it was quite a challenge.

Now if only I can survive the truck ride to the airport.

lol Pegasus Day was so easy for me. I found out that if you hid near the door of the bunker and refrained from moving for five minutes, the tank outside wouldn't fire any shells at you. All I had to worry about were Germans charging me. However, Captain Price took care of most of them.

And yeah, I'm worried about the last two British levels though. I remember the AA Gun part was insanely difficult on Regular because Germans were flanking me on all sides whereas I had no choice but to sit out on the open on the AA Gun or I'd fail the mission by being shot up by German planes.

I want to report I received a checkpoint in pillar room. What I did was move forward shooting guys. then I had to retreat back to the elevator and bam checkpoint. Note: I did not have 100% health. It was in the green. This was also after I killed some people in the pillar room with grenades. So this long check point route is not the only way people. Props to Muckraker for the strategy, but I have confirmed that you can get a check point in the pillar room right before the turbines. Then the next checkpoint is now not that far at all.

• 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • bLaKgRaVy pinned and locked this topic