Explorer - Easy when you know how

CoolAsLife

Ok - like a lot of people I found the Explorer achievement rather tricky. No-one is 100% sure what you need to do to make it pop. Even THQ won't give a definitive answer. Whether it's percentage of game explored, bodies/stashes found or distance covered. All we know for sure is that it should pop before or on Caves.

I've tried following the video guide posted on this forum, but watching a video, pausing it, doing a bit myself, playing, pausing, playing... was not really practical. Well done to the video OP as I'm sure a lot of work went into it.

When I went for the achievement, it popped on Outpost - a full ELEVEN levels before Caves!

All I did was follow the walkthrough by nyiaor2 on GameFAQs - Here's the link. It took me places, bodies, stashes and areas I never knew existed!

I printed the guide out, grabbed a highlighter pen and carefully went through each level making sure I collected EVERY single item - bullets, arrows, discovery points, items, everything - and crossed them off as I found them. I also killed and looted every human (bandits, nazis etc). Some things I didn't do as previously suggested was:

- knock on every door within a station

- Listen to conversations with everyone I met

- Give bullets to beggars

Please note that if you are after enlightened and dweller, you will need to speak to people and give to beggars.

Anyway - for those that are stuck on Explorer, use the guide!

Oh and the silenced VSV + scope purchased at the end of child is an amazing weapon!

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks! Your linked guide helped me a lot and I finally got the Explorer!

It popped up in the third room of the main building in Outpost when I picked up ammo.

Don't worry if there are few places described in the guide that doesn't match the game exactly, for example in Dead City where I couldn't find the ammo in the described dumpster. I also missed three discovery points in Frontline, where you have to listen to the guards, because I rushed through the level and only rescued the captured Reds at the end.

Also don't worry if you can't pick up filters. I don't know what it is depending from, but just ignore it if it's not possible.

Thanks a lot! :drunk

I didn't follow the guide but I still got it at Outpost the other day.

Basically you just have to do everything and anything in every level.

Go everywhere, Pick up everything, Interact with anything and leave no stone unturned. And maybe you'll get it in an earlier playthrough than me because I got it on my 5th playthrough, Lol!

A big thank u to 'CoolAsLife' this litle biatch had been plaguing me for wks but now finally with help from the guide you recommended i got the explorer ach. To those people still having trouble with explorer, FOLLOW THE LINK IN THE FIRST POST everything CoolAsLife said is correct, the ach unlocked for me on the 1st floor of the first large destroyed building that you explore on outpost (the building where you can said the transmission from the roof). Thanks again cool.

Does quitting the game (out of being just tired) just after a checkpoint and then selectin Continue from the main menu reset the progress for Explorer? Just curious if I messed my achiev.

I'm sure it doesn't affect the achievement. I doubt the developers wanted everyone to play through it in one sitting. That wouldn't be enjoyable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

This is the fourth guide I tried for the achievement.. and also the fourth playthrough that didn't work :( I'm just going to delete my save file and try again maybe something is amiss. It's my last achievement there's no way I'm not getting it lol... this must be what I get for getting every single achievement in one playthrough, it makes me play four times in a row for this weird achievement haha.

yeah this achievement is kind of weird! i already have it but i cant explain why. i just collected everything i saw and searched for dead bodies, secret rooms etc. in every level and in every area. and finally the chevo popped up for me as i entered the library...

Edited by Baha

I just got it.. I deleted my save files(probably has nothing to do with it) and upped my difficulty to normal(probably has nothing to do with it) and I followed the guide a lot more closely this time and got it shortly after relaying the message at Outpost, caught me by surprise too. Finding ammo is probably the biggest requirement for this.

First time around I was focusing mostly on Discovery Points and not so much on random pieces of ammo laying around. Put simply, and it has been brought up on here, just follow this guide exactly and you WILL get it. Probably where I messed up most my first try was on the long detailed missions like Front Line where I mostly got Discovery Points for eavesdropping and didn't explore much. MY BAD. Achievement is still weird though.. haha

Edited by Blue Thunder28

• 1 month later...
does it matetr if you miss a few discovery points along the way?

ive missed two from dead city 1.. :( the hunter journal and ranger cache #7:(

I missed two discoverypoints in Frontline... and still got it..

My Tip/advice: Make a copy of your save game on a USB or mem card.. if u mess up, delete from HDD and copy from USB :)

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Gotta say, hats off to the person who wrote that guide. Popped for me on Outpost as well.

It's going to take you some time to play through following the guide, but after 3 playthroughs and no achievement for me, it can be a timesaver in the long run.

Have to say thanks to Fizz for putting up a great guide and some great pictures for the "Sherlock" achievement. They were a huge help.

Great game, glad I've finally got it done though now, even if 1240 is a weird total. :woop:

• 1 month later...

This popped for me in the library after you get left alone.i climbed up on the right hand walkway from the entrance door.found a body there and looted it.As soon as I took one thing off of the body it popped.I was playing on normal difficulty.Also I didnt get the acheivement for finding all the bodies in dead city so i dont think u have to have that to get explorer

This popped for me in the library after you get left alone.i climbed up on the right hand walkway from the entrance door.found a body there and looted it.As soon as I took one thing off of the body it popped.I was playing on normal difficulty.Also I didnt get the acheivement for finding all the bodies in dead city so i dont think u have to have that to get explorer

On my playthrough I got all stashes from Dead City 1 and 2 but it also unlocked for me on this location in the library. I played on easy and used the video walkthrough from NextGenWalkthroughs (Link). It's a really weird achievement, after all it's still not 100 % sure which requirements (discovery points, lootables, etc.) you have to need for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...