Don't let the reviews fool you: This game is worth playing.

Decabo

Like many people, I was put off from Alpha Protocol for many months due to poor review scores. Eventually, I decided to rent it via GameFly, since I was in the mood for a Mass Effect-style game, and that was the last one I could think of. I played for a few hours, waiting for the game to fall apart, or delete my save, or abruptly end; something bad that would explain the subpar reviews.

But it never happened, this game remained engaging and fun throughout. Great characters, writing, and conversation system all had me hooked, and I actually liked the combat. Sure, the AI is terrible, but I can forgive that. The ways that one decision can affect another is really quite astounding, I've never seen a story branch off so well while still keeping its narrative.

Alpha Protocol is one of my biggest surprises of this generation. I've beaten it four times and have gotten every achievement, and continue to play it still. It's a bit rough around the edges, but it's easy to get over that with writing this witty and characters this interesting. Combat has issues, but I still had fun with it. Give it a chance, it's dirt cheap now anyway.

I'm glad you liked it especially with the whole choice and conservation system. I was also an addict of AP by having 4 walkthroughs without putting it down to play another game. I won't lie that this game is a diamond in the rough and there's nothing Wrong with that. I think that this is one of the best games and biggest surprise of this generation especially when the whole presentation blew Mass Effect out of the water. I wished that ME 2 and 3 would have used these features in those games.

Agree.

It was a great game. Shame so many people gave it a bad review. Although it was not polished much, a lot of bugs I Would love it if they put say another year into fixing all the bugs and everything, Maybe add in a option to play through the story again with your character. Just some cool little features. I guess sort of like the MGS Substance thing. Will probably never see that tho.

On my first try, I went the soldier way, shooting everything in sight.

Dialogues and intrigue was interesting, but the shooting mechanics... urg...

So I started again, this time with the stealth/pistol combo, and the game became really fun to play.

Nevertheless, the fact that shooting is affected by RPG elements should not excuse the fact that playing it like an action is a real punishment, Mass Effect is a proof you can pull it off if you need any.

• 3 weeks later...
On my first try, I went the soldier way, shooting everything in sight.

Dialogues and intrigue was interesting, but the shooting mechanics... urg...

So I started again, this time with the stealth/pistol combo, and the game became really fun to play.

Nevertheless, the fact that shooting is affected by RPG elements should not excuse the fact that playing it like an action is a real punishment, Mass Effect is a proof you can pull it off if you need any.

That has to be my only complaint of the game so far, your guys aim is terrible unless you pump all your points into one gun type

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

When I read the reviews I was still eager to play the game, I rented it and LOVED IT. A few months ago I bought it used and man, I enjoyed it to death. I completely love missions in Shangai and Moscow, I do like Rome, but Shangai.. I love that location in the game, it's fucking awesome.

Yes, I absolutely agree it's one of the best RPGs ever made, or at least, one of my favourites. Definetely my most grateful surprise this generation, and one of the best I've played this gen.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a great game indeed. As far as the RPG shooting mechanics, you just need to understand how the shooting works. Stealth was the best way to go for me. I'm looking forward to giving it one last go as a bad guy.

Maybe the developers needed to have a very dumbed-down tutorial to explain to gamers how the RPG shooting mechanics worked, aim for the head, wait for the recticle, level up, etc. Maybe even going so far as to provide 2 videos showing the traditional run and gun style shooting vs the RPG style mechanics and the effects that leveling up your skills would have.

I quite enjoyed it. I wouldn't go so far as to say one of the best rpgs, but it's a good one. The trek to 1000 wasn't a chore, and the different conversation paths were interesting.

I actually liked the combat mechanics, they seemed somewhat more realistic than the run and gun style. The only real gripe I have is that even on Hard, the game is ridiculously easy if you go Veteran and pump up Stealth and Pistol. I never bought a better gun, I never bought better armor, and I rarely ever used gadgets. Shadow Operative and Chain Shot are just completely overpowered. Add in Brilliance and you just breeze through the game. The final boss took me 5 seconds to kill on Hard: Chain shot, 6 shots to the head, Brilliance, Chain shot, 6 shots to the head, dead.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well I bought the game today for £5 and am very happy to be reading this thread! To be honest I picked it up because I felt like a new game, it was cheap and it looked interesting enough. I'd not actually read any reviews.

Right, I'm off to give it a try and if its as good as you guys make out I'll be back after 3 playthroughs or so ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I traded in 3 games I'm done with today, and I picked up Fable 3 and Two Worlds, as I've played them before and enjoyed them. Then I saw Alpha Protocol sitting there on the shelf and for £9, I thought why the hell not. 3 RPG's in 1 fell swoop. Its really grabbed my attention from what I've heard about it, and from what I've read on forums. Looks like its a cult classic. Once I've finished my online boosting games, I'm gonna rip into this bad boy.

• 2 months later...

It took me awhile to get used to the Mini games. The Computer hacking is the worst. Being partially blind doesn't help identifying the code quicker, either.

Stealth is definitely the way to approach this game. I love it.

The story and the decision making are strong points, while environments and graphics seem dated. Almost last gen or somewhere in between.

The Voice acting is top-notch, too.

If the shooting mechanic was a little more based off of your ability, but backed by skill points, the game would have been more well received.

I can't believe I waited this long to play this, but I was influenced by friends, who are not true RPG lovers. They were really put off by the shooting mechanics, and most gave up before getting through Basic Training. Most games like Alpha Protocol take time to grow on you.

• 5 months later...

Agreed a very good game with an interesting plot and characters that carry intrigue. I look forward to whats coming next during every mission as the game is so unpredictable, mainly because you can shape it how you like to a degree. The reviewers largely missed the point.....the graphics are toilet but then so what...good graphics do not make a good game, and i get the impression they sacrificed a lot in order to give the game a stunning amount of depth.

• 8 months later...

I have to agree. The reviewers put a damper on this for me but I was a fan of Obsidian so when the price started dropping like a rock I figured "what the hell."

So glad I did! I just wish those video arcade cabinets were playable. It would have been fun to have a vintage mini-game to play to while away the hours...