Much RPG?

The Pants Party

Each character has 2 equipment slots for “Wayne Tech enhancements” which can be purchased with the games currency system. Credits are earned by defeating enemies and finding chests. A few are character specific or limited to certain characters such as "members of the bat family." Others are generic and can be equipped by anyone. Many are trade offs such as "increase hand to hand damage by 20% but increase damage received by 10%"

This gives you some freedom. I built superboy as a tank to stay alive and tickle enemies with his kitten paws while wonder girl was a pure AoE damage dealer with little damage resistance. Costumes are unlockable but I think are purely cosmetic

Most levels you will be forced to use one character as part of the story and can pick the other two. You then can freely switch between all 3. Party management doesn't matter much on normal but on Hard is important as a healer is much more useful. Ms. Martian has a stealth power that is valuable on Gotham City as the snipers can one hit kill your heroes.

Everyone has 4 powers based on the hero. Some characters best power is melee, others ranged, AoE. Superboy's AoE does good damage but Nightwing's stuns enemies which can be helpful in a jam.

I think nearly everyone has a buff. Some have attacks that quickly fill up an energy bar for a special attack which is helpful if near death or surrounded. Around every 5 levels a power gets a perk (such as range +100% or damage + 20%). There is a power/mana bar and some powers/spells have recharge. If struggling on a certain boss you can return to earlier levels and level grind. Also you can respec so if taking on a boss you can take all the points out of an AoE attack and put them into a single or ranged attack if better for that boss.

Like many games you could argue the genre either way. It doesn't have the quality of MUA but the core elements are there and I think it's deep enough I wouldn’t call it an action game. I thought this was a kid's game but it's a decent challenge on hard and that's where all the party/hero micro-management becomes useful. It has a lot of techincal issues but that doesn’t really have anything to do with genre.

RPG elements:

Exp/Levels

Level Grinding if you get stuck

Party system

Equip WayneTech as you see fit (Defense/Attack/Powers etc)

Traditional RPG Buff/AoE/Melee/Ranged style powers

The Dust: Elysian argument: Designed/described by the developer as an RPG

What's missing

Linear aside from a few secret/hidden areas

No loot/drops

This is based on my experience having played through three times: Normal/Co-op/Hard. Halfway through my co-op playthrough on the ancient elevator level by character kept falling through the floor and my game froze, erasing all data. My co-op partner got the co-op achievement but I did not.

This game is easily classified as an action rpg. All of the points that Tower Bridge made are accurate and I couldn't have done a better write up. A couple other things to note are:

1.) You start off with 6 characters to choose from and unlock another 4 through story progression. Beating the game on normal and hard gives you a new character per difficulty and they don't stack thus forcing two play throughs. (Total characters = 12 and the bottom 4 spots are DLC characters.)

2.) WORST SAVE SYSTEM!!!!!! Game automatically saves and there is no way to copy your file. I've had the game freeze during saving and wipe my progress 3 different times.

3.) I HIGHLY recommend a solo normal play through getting all collectibles. Then play a hard co-op play through with up to 2 other friends just running through the levels making sure to kill at least 1 enemy so that you get some kind of grade.