Kinect Zoom

SIHuze

Sorry if someone else posted about this, I serched but didn't find anything. Santa got the kids a Kinect for the kids this year and because of the limited space that we have I picked up the Kinect Zoom. The problem is it worksfor me but the Kinect dosn't see my kids. When we tried to set up the tracking you can see them but it doesn't do the blue stick figure overlay. Anyone have any experience with this?

If it is on top it can see me. When I moved it down it doesn't work att all. I think it has to do with my size. I'm six foot one and around 300 pounds my kids are around four foot and maybe 60 pound if they just had dinner. Sence the zoom narrows the kinect's feeld of view I think I'm still wide enouf to track and that kids are so skinny that to it they disappear.

• 2 weeks later...

Nyko uses a cheap clear plastic for the lenses. That's why there are some that work well like it's intended and then there others with minor reflective issues that make it completely unusable. I'm taking my chances and I will post back on whether it works or not. If it doesn't work I plan on taking it back until I get one that does.

Edit: I planned on buying one, but so far I haven't ran into any space limitation issues which would prompt me into purchasing a zoom.

Edited by newbsicle

The one I have works fine, too. Got mine from BestBuy. Two-player action can be a little tight, though, with bumping elbows, etc.

I have mine mounted about 3 ft off the ground.

Based on the online reviews the Zoom gets, it definitely looks like a random quality issue with some working well and others not.

My Kinect, with Zoom does not see my 30" tall, 20 lb, 15 mo old, but then again, the instructions that came with the Kinect say you have to be so big to play.

i dont have one but i know the two problems that occur even without the zoom for the kinect is the amount of space you have and also the lighting takes into effect, if its too light or too dark the kinect can't see you properly , i have the same problem once in a while, and sometime depending on the time of day when the sun hit the room, it make the kinect "trip out"

I bought one of these as I had to move my kinect from a large room to a smaller room. I was a little bit sceptical after reading mixed reviews but (touch wood) I've had no real issues with it.

It is recommended that you have the kinect at the bottom of your TV and not on it whilst using the Nyko attachment, this is something to bear in mind.

I was thinking of purchasing one of these myself, my Kinect is about three feet off the ground, below my TV. I'm just under five feet tall. I wonder if it would have any trouble picking me up. I'm tired of pushing all my furniture around and I really want to play Haunt. If the lighting in the room you play in is already sufficent, it should also be so when using the Zoom, correct?

I was thinking of purchasing one of these myself, my ...it should also be so when using the Zoom, correct?

My Kinect sits on my desk (about 2 1/2 feet off the ground) I stand about 6 foot away from it and it picks me up fine and I'm 6"2

I was really surprised at the small amount of room needed to play with the Zoom on.

Made me very :D

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I am in a smaller apartment and we got the Zoom to help with the limited space, but found that the sensor works better without it. I had to stand about 2 feet from the TV which doesn't give much room to move. Without it, I am closer to the furniture, but I have more room.

I think it just depends on what your setup is in your play space. Using the tuner gave me a better idea of what one works best.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

i have the nyko zoom and use it every once in a while, seems to track ok but i have my kinect mounted to my ceiling and way back behind the TV. thats a trick i learned from an Xbox tech, if mounted behind the tv and up in a wall-ceiling point it can add 1-3 feet in extra distance for smaller rooms.

I find the trick to the nyko is to calibrate the kinect without it on and then attach it so, as to just zoom in.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought one. It only tracked my feet nothing. I've tried it in different lighting and have moved the sensor from top off Tv to bottom and it still does nothing.. Worst 30 dollars I ever spent. Tried to return it to best buy and they wouldn't take it back instead they offered to send a technician to install it. So I give it a 1/10

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm gonna try out what that one guy above me said about setting up the calibration before attaching the zoom...

I just got the zoom today and I've noticed that my right hand really glitches out. It looks like my avatar has severe tourettes. When playing Haunt I have to hold the flashlight in my left hand and not my right or it goes all over the place. I figured out that since the lens takes in more area space, it's recognizing my black night stand. I threw a pair of pants over the night stand and it seemed to mostly fix the issue.

All in all, it does give more room to play. At least another foot, foot and a half. I have about five feet of play space and with the zoom I can stand in the middle of the area and not have to keep banging my calves up against my bed while playing. But I too am having various tracking issues. If you have mostly black furniture, it's going to be harder. My floors are also tile, so they reflect the lighting which also causes issues.

• 2 weeks later...