Why are Italians speaking English with a thick Italian accent?

CuddlyREDRUM

:eek: :confused:

"It's a me, MARIO!"

This is a pun toward Mario. you know, THE mario of video games. This is actually how it sounds when he says "It's me Mario" in Mario 64.

Why are Italians speaking English with a thick Italian accent? Reply to Thread

umm.. this one is hard.. I'm not so sure.

My guess is because they are Italians.

I'm really not sure, I expected a normal american English in Renaissance Italy, because, let's face it, that's how they were speaking at this time.

Yeah, I think they have italian accent because they are Italians. I know, it's unbearable.

I'm not sure, but I think he might be wondering why they decided to use English mixed with the Italian accent (and occasional Italian word) instead of just pure, 100%, real Italian.

And that's so that more than 10% of the world can understand what the hell is going on. Which is especially important with a storyline like Assassin's Creed. Sure, you could have subtitles, but that would get old for most. Fast.

Edited by XToastySniperX

I'm not sure, but I think he might be wondering why they decided to use English mixed with the Italian accent (and occasional Italian word) instead of just pure, 100%, real Italian.

And that's so that more than 10% of the world can understand what the hell is going on. Which is especially important with a storyline like Assassin's Creed. Sure, you could have subtitles, but that would get old for most. Fast.

I usually have subs on anyway but can sometimes get drawn to them, so it's hit or miss.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to understand this.

1. Why do they have thick Italian accents when living in Italy?

2. Why do they speak some words in Italian, and the rest in English?

Answers.

1. Because they fucking live in Italy

2. I think it's probably because nobody would enjoy reading subtitles the entire game. The game is fine the way they present it.

I speak fluent Italian, so it doesn't bother me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well they probably spoke English with some Italian so you understand what they're saying without subtitles. If the game were completely in Italian, people would complain about not understanding. If in complete English however, they would complain about the authenticity. The game sprinkles in the accent and occasional Italian to give it a sense of realism and comprehension.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old thread but wanted to add to it. In the first game Desmond asked Lucy why and how everyone was speaking english. Her answer was that the animus was programmed for them to speak english so Desmond could understand and communicate. He didn't know the language. A translation program I believe is what she said.

• 1 month later...

Christ !

What are you !? It took me a while to figure out that was what was so good about Brotherhood but damn, how could you ever think it's a bad thing !?

I hate how in most movies foreigners don't have funny accents. That's mostly why I can't bear watching any movie or show in French, they all sound the same.

I'll quote Conkreit because I feel like he said it all:

"they would complain about the authenticity. The game sprinkles in the accent and occasional Italian to give it a sense of realism and comprehension."

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I just love how you said that lol

:dance:

I'm trying to understand this.

1. Why do they have thick Italian accents when living in Italy?

2. Why do they speak some words in Italian, and the rest in English?

Answers.

1. Because they fucking live in Italy

2. I think it's probably because nobody would enjoy reading subtitles the entire game. The game is fine the way they present it.

I speak fluent Italian, so it doesn't bother me.

love the way you said this. YAY fifth post finally.

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty sure I remember reading somewhere that the Animus like translates sometimes but that wouldn't make sense with the odd word that still comes through in Italian. But basically the whole game in Italian would mean necessary subtitles which are a pain and if they all had American accents it would really ruin the immersion of being in Italy. Like Altair in AC1, couldn't stand the accent he had considering who he was.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

To all the people complaining about the english version of the game I can say that I'm italian and find the italian version awful. Back in 1400's italian language didn't exist and listening leonardo speacking in a perfect italian without inflessions feels awkward (nobody speacks like that even today: it's the same fake italian they speack when dubbing a foreign movie). At least in the italian version of the game they should have put a little bit of an effort and made them speak with the accent of every town, some volgare (the italian laguange of ancient times) words vould be welcolme.

Just to let you know that the italian version maybe is worse.

To all the people complaining about the english version of the game I can say that I'm italian and find the italian version awful. Back in 1400's italian language didn't exist and listening leonardo speacking in a perfect italian without inflessions feels awkward (nobody speacks like that even today: it's the same fake italian they speack when dubbing a foreign movie). At least in the italian version of the game they should have put a little bit of an effort and made them speak with the accent of every town, some volgare (the italian laguange of ancient times) words vould be welcolme.

Just to let you know that the italian version maybe is worse.

• 3 weeks later...
I know this is an old thread but wanted to add to it. In the first game Desmond asked Lucy why and how everyone was speaking english. Her answer was that the animus was programmed for them to speak english so Desmond could understand and communicate. He didn't know the language. A translation program I believe is what she said.

this is 100% correct, its all part of the story and the importance of the animus

• 1 month later...