• It Was Scary At Times..
    • Gah! Scary!?! Not Scary At All...

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hmm, the game isn't really scary in the horror movie kind of way. It's not Silent Hill, but this game can really pull you in.

Play in the dark with the sound up; as you're running through the woods at night with the wind howling around you and the darkness/fog all around you'll get this uneasy need to run feeling. And as the taken keep popping up all around you and you hear weapons flying past you it gets intense.

One thing Alan Wake does well is build up it's characters (well the main ones anyways) and makes you like them so that when they're being attacked or fighting back you care about what happens to them.

• 3 weeks later...
This game gives me the same knot in my stomach that Dead Space does. I am constantly tense. I love to be scared and own a ton of horror films but with this or Dead Space its just neverending, you never feel safe. The atmosphere in both games really adds to it. I have had the game a week and am only towards the end of episode 3 as I never play for more than an hour or so. Great game though. As mentioned above, night time, lights off, sound up, especially on a headset really amplifies the experience.
Well said! Yeah, I found the tension almost unbearable at times during my first playthrough. It didn't so much scare me as just make me extremely anxious.

Not scary at all a little nerve recking maybe especially those parts where you cant die for the achiv. Still think that the first Silent Hill was one of the cariest i played so far
Yeah, I'll never forget being creeped out by the little monsters in the school. I'd never played anything like it before, and it scared the crap out of me.

While not like Exorcist-scary, I find myself constantly tense playing the night sequences. What the game really does well is give you a feeling of foreboding during the daytime when things are safe. You just dread going out into the mountains and want to stay in those cozy cabins or lodges. ;) The sound design is masterful too and really helps with the atmosphere.

Yeah exactly just the earie surroundings you get placed into is just creepy. Also the monsters approaching keep being announced in slomo so that isn't the problem. My problem is still with the shocking moments of Barbara. BRRRRR

While not like Exorcist-scary, I find myself constantly tense playing the night sequences. What the game really does well is give you a feeling of foreboding during the daytime when things are safe. You just dread going out into the mountains and want to stay in those cozy cabins or lodges. ;) The sound design is masterful too and really helps with the atmosphere.

great way to describe the game....I dreaded going out at night.

If you're the type who literally puts themselves in the game, then you're in for one hell of a ride. It really does screw with your mind and can make you feel paranoid.

this is like me for sure, i always try to emerge myself into the game (character) and understand what is going on during the story.

i have been planning on getting this game since january or so, and thinking of heading to gamestop after work to pick it up. any direct advice from a pro who has done mutiple playthrus? things i should avoid, look out for, missables?

not sure if the game has different difficulties, if so i will most likely play on the hardest to get the full experience. one thing i dont want to do is rush thru the playthru and get to the end before i realize whats going on. any big sidequests or DLC that add to the story?

not sure if the game has different difficulties, if so i will most likely play on the hardest to get the full experience. one thing i dont want to do is rush thru the playthru and get to the end before i realize whats going on. any big sidequests or DLC that add to the story?

Try beating it on Normal to get a feel for the gameplay and enjoy the story without being overwhelmed. Don't worry about collectibles the first time through, just get the ones you see. Then you can go to Nightmare mode.

On Nightmare mode, it's a good idea to just go for the Nightmare pages and not worry about the other collectibles. There are some areas where you're trying to look around and Taken keep re-spawning.

A third playthrough on Normal is good for getting leftover achievements and collectibles. Copy and paste a checklist for those thermoses, otherwise you'll go crazy looking for them. The game doesn't tell you which chapter you have missing ones.

There's The Signal and The Writer DLC to be played after the main game. Remember to go through the Episodes menu to choose them, otherwise the game will force a higher difficulty on you. The DLC episodes are much harder than the main game. You'll probably have to play these twice or more (especially with the no-die achievements) to get everything.

• 3 weeks later...
the only time it scared me was when i cant hear them behind me and then they silently hit me

Same here. The game kinda reminded me of the TV Show 'Lost' when the characters first encountered "The Others". They could only hear them whispering, but couldn't see them.

The game isn't overly scary, but it had a few scenes that made me jump.

• 3 weeks later...