Force Gun or Javelin for Hard Core?

Union 360

Any idea which weapon I should use for my Hard Core run?

In the YouTube walkthrough, the guy just rapes everyone using the Javelin + upgraded alt fire, so I'm tempted to use that, but others are saying that the Force Gun makes a fantastic compliment to the Plasma Cutter. I haven't really used the FG much, I thought it was rather useless when I used it on Normal.

I think one main appeal is that the ammo is crazy dirt cheap, but that's probably since alt-fire uses another spear. It also forces you to have precise aim and some distance, which isn't realistic from the eye machine to the end.

I've heard a lot of praise to the Force Gun, but on my first playthru (Survivalist difficulty) I found it very clumsy to use. However, I didn't really upgrade it much. The Ripper was my primary weapon since it could kill anything with just one blade (including Brutes when highly upgraded), then the PC for anything at range.

What niche is the Force Gun supposed to fill?

What niche is the Force Gun supposed to fill?

It's good for close combat. Knocks them back/down. Will not cause Exploders to explode, or cause Pregnants to release their ugly little leech-things. Problem is, it's ONLY good for close range, and the best option is just to not let Exploders get that close in the first place.

It's good for close combat. Knocks them back/down. Will not cause Exploders to explode, or cause Pregnants to release their ugly little leech-things. Problem is, it's ONLY good for close range, and the best option is just to not let Exploders get that close in the first place.

Get acquainted with the alt-fire sir - it's good enough to knock tentacles off Lurkers on the drill ride with one good shot, and will do significant damage from mid-range as well.

Get acquainted with the alt-fire sir - it's good enough to knock tentacles off Lurkers on the drill ride with one good shot, and will do significant damage from mid-range as well.

I should also mention that I am a very poor shot. I generally use the Plasma Cutter for de-limbing purposes, though I've recently watched a video of somebody's speed run. It never occured to me that I could just... run past them. Huh.

That might make things interesting. Force Gun them and book it while they're still getting up... Seems a bit dangerous if you suddenly get several roomfuls of necros pouring out of the vents when they all catch up at once...

Force gun, without any doubt. It can come in handy in almost every situation. Short range with primary fire, medium/long range with secondary fire. Has cheap ammos and a really good damage output. Can kill many necros with one hit if they're packed together and doesn't make pregnants burst or exploders/crawler explode. The only con is that you get it pretty late in the game :(

I'm about to embark on my Hard Core run as well and had similar questions about which weapon to use as a compliment to the PC (Force Gun vs. Contact Beam).

My main concern is that whenever I experimented with the Force Gun on my Normal and Zealot playthroughs, it would knock down but not kill Necros. So I guess the question is how exactly the FG is used on Hard Core.

* Since enemies on Hard Core are weaker than on Zealot (I believe), is the Force Gun, plus a few nodes to Damage, capable of killing normal Necros with primary fire (I understand that at range you'll use alt-fire and the black/super Necros will need multiple shots of either primary or alt-fire).

* When your Force Gun is new/weak, do you knock down the Necros and then quickly switch to your PC and dismember them, just using the FG's blow-back ability as another ass-saving measure similar to stasis?

I'm sort of leaning towards the Contact Beam since the upgraded alt-fire is amazing, but I believe you acquire that even later in the story than the Force Gun. I'm also thinking of either doing either the Ripper or the Javelin as my first store gun purchase, as the Ripper destroys the Pack and is good close-range on Necros that get a jump on you, while the Javelin is a nice 1-shot option with its alt-fire handling the Pack pretty well also.

So any input about the specific tactics of the FG on Hard Core and whether they change over time as it gets upgraded would be appreciated. Also any input on which guns to choose along the following tree: PC --> Ripper/Javelin --> FG/CB.

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting scared and peeing in my pants from time to time ;-)

I finished this off 2-3 weeks ago and would just like to revisit my post. I ended up going PC -> PC+Javelin -> PC+Javelin+Ripper -> Javelin+Ripper+Contact Beam.

I just never trusted the Force Gun after using it on previous playthroughs, while I was very familiar with the Javelin, Ripper, and especially the ass-saving abilities of the Contact Beam's alt-fire. That alt-fire made elevator rides and the drill ride super easy, while the Ripper made light work of the Pack (although I didn't have it for my first encounter with them, which made things a little ugly, had to restart 2x there). And the javelin gun is a thing of beauty, dispatching of Brutes very easily and taking out everyone else in 1-2 shots depending on whether you have the damage all the way up or not.

Again, just my experience and preference, but I liked the Javelin to 1-shot to the body instead of trying to dissect Necros w/ the PC for long periods and then the Ripper is sort of a nice "spray and pray"/melee type gun for up close stuff, and the Contact Beam makes the trickiest parts easy thanks to Alt-Fire and its primary fire works wonders on the final boss.

Good luck everyone!

I'm about to embark on my Hard Core run as well and had similar questions about which weapon to use as a compliment to the PC (Force Gun vs. Contact Beam).

My main concern is that whenever I experimented with the Force Gun on my Normal and Zealot playthroughs, it would knock down but not kill Necros. So I guess the question is how exactly the FG is used on Hard Core.

* Since enemies on Hard Core are weaker than on Zealot (I believe), is the Force Gun, plus a few nodes to Damage, capable of killing normal Necros with primary fire (I understand that at range you'll use alt-fire and the black/super Necros will need multiple shots of either primary or alt-fire).

* When your Force Gun is new/weak, do you knock down the Necros and then quickly switch to your PC and dismember them, just using the FG's blow-back ability as another ass-saving measure similar to stasis?

I'm sort of leaning towards the Contact Beam since the upgraded alt-fire is amazing, but I believe you acquire that even later in the story than the Force Gun. I'm also thinking of either doing either the Ripper or the Javelin as my first store gun purchase, as the Ripper destroys the Pack and is good close-range on Necros that get a jump on you, while the Javelin is a nice 1-shot option with its alt-fire handling the Pack pretty well also.

So any input about the specific tactics of the FG on Hard Core and whether they change over time as it gets upgraded would be appreciated. Also any input on which guns to choose along the following tree: PC --> Ripper/Javelin --> FG/CB.

Thanks guys, looking forward to getting scared and peeing in my pants from time to time ;-)

• 2 months later...
Any idea which weapon I should use for my Hard Core run?

In the YouTube walkthrough, the guy just rapes everyone using the Javelin + upgraded alt fire, so I'm tempted to use that, but others are saying that the Force Gun makes a fantastic compliment to the Plasma Cutter. I haven't really used the FG much, I thought it was rather useless when I used it on Normal.

I personally found the Force Gun to be very useful. However, I noticed that if you aimed more towards the pelvis of the Necromorph that it was usually more effective, especially when you got it upgraded. Almost any time I was playing on a harder difficulty and I didn't aim for their pelvis it would only knock them back. However, when I was aiming towards their pelvis almost every time it would remove at least one of their limbs, or remove all of them. It's very useful for knocking back enemies, if you use the Alt-Fire you can hit enemies from normal to long range, it doesn't explode the Exploders' sac, it doesn't cause the Swarm to come out when you shoot the Pregnants and has cheap ammunition. To me, personally, I found it to be an all-around weapon especially once you got it completely upgraded. But it's personal preference.

• 1 month later...

I used a completely upgrade plasma cutter and pulse rifle for some extra kicks. I feel like the other weapons are kind of a hit or miss. I like the force gun, but I don't like getting too close to the necromorphs. I'm a stasis freak though. and I like TK with their limbs.

Moral of story. Experiment. See what suits you best.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just finished Hardcore about 2-3 hours ago, and I have to say that the Force Gun and Plasma Cutter is the best combination.

After repeating my 1st save 3 times, Chapter 7 disc-swap "save" 5 times, Chapter 9 save never repeated (got lucky), and Chapter 13 twice, the Force Gun worked wonders. Yes, sometimes the Force Gun did not kill some Necromorphs the first time, but it pushed them back and somewhat "stunned" them a bit. A second or third shot was the lethal blow. Besides not setting off the Crawlers and Detonators, the Force Gun killed Pregnants without bursting their contents.

Some people forget about the alternate fire of the Force Gun. :rtbut: is for short range fire, but :rbbut: is for medium/long range fire (with a small delay for charging). When all DAM and ALT nodes are filled, the Force Gun is very powerful.

For example, the large lift ride down towards the end of Chapter 11 featured lots of Necromorphs climbing in. All I did was point the Force Gun at the center while standing on one corner and just shoot when I saw one (or more) get on. I made it out without being hit.

Another example is in Chapter 10, when returning to the Decon Station after activating the centrifuge. The onslaught of Necromorphs in such a small place with the Force Gun allowed me to keep all of them away from me (well, the Spitter did drench me with acid, but no damage).

As for the Plasma Cutter, I used it to pick-off any Necromorphs that are still far away from me. Again, when all DAM nodes are filled (I didn't use the SPC node), the Plasma Cutter is also powerful.

--->Robert

8-)

• 2 years later...

I personally love the Contact Beam over the Force Gun, but that's in large part due to the fact that I was able to acquire it earlier in the game than intended because I had Dead Space: Ignition downloaded and beaten. Still, that alt fire is amazing. So much longer-lasting than ordinary stasis, and with the upgraded alt-fire damage of the Hacker Contact Beam, it could absolutely kill the Super Slashers in one hit from close range.

• 3 years later...

I would reccomend the force gun as ammo is relatively cheap and I find it to be much more effective for crowd control. When fully upgraded it can take out enemies in one to two shots and your aim is not super critical. Also, it is beneficial against exploders as it does not cause their sacs to explode as pushes them away. The javelin gun is a fun weapon but not as effective for crowd control.