Can reloading chapters void Shadow Ranger?

Miss Allen86

Hello everyone. My first play through of Metro I wanted to go completely stealth and get the Shadow Ranger cheevie, well I sounded an alarm and got a checkpoint in the process so no matter what I do I'm detected. My question is, can you still get the Shadow Ranger achievement if I did chapter select or would it void it? Thank you so very much to any help.

Did you kill anybody after being detected? Because the achievement is for not killing humans...

And at this point, especially if you have killed a human, what could it hurt to restart the chapter and see if you get the achievement at the end of the game? Because if you did kill a human, you're currently locked out anyway...

Did you kill anybody after being detected? Because the achievement is for not killing humans...

And at this point, especially if you have killed a human, what could it hurt to restart the chapter and see if you get the achievement at the end of the game? Because if you did kill a human, you're currently locked out anyway...

No sir I didn't kill any humans. I was going stealth and when I sounded the alarm the checkpoint hit but no one was killed. I just want to restart the entire level but don't know if the game will track my progress for Shadow Ranger cheevie if I use chapter select to restart the level. Thanks again.

I'm worried about my progress on this achievement. I killed the 2 guys that chase after you when escaping with Pavel on the bike and it points you towards the door and tells you to hold them off. Completely forgot about the achievement and killed them both while escaping.

Now, since he tells you to hold them off and they're coming after you would these count against it? (Asked this in the guide thread but it seemed to have been lost in other conversations)

I'm worried about my progress on this achievement. I killed the 2 guys that chase after you when escaping with Pavel on the bike and it points you towards the door and tells you to hold them off. Completely forgot about the achievement and killed them both while escaping.

Now, since he tells you to hold them off and they're coming after you would these count against it? (Asked this in the guide thread but it seemed to have been lost in other conversations)

Y'know, I did the same thing, but I only killed one of the guys and the other couldn't hit us at all. So, just to be safe, I redid the level and didn't shoot the guys at the end.

Pavol and Artyom escaped unscathed. So, I'd redo that if I were you and don't shoot the enemies because I don't think it qualifies as a "forced" kill.

Yeah well I just completed the game not killing ANYONE, even in situations where you can't stealth your way out - like near the end with the green-light snipers - I just knocked everyone out. Yet I didn't unlock it, like what the fuck.

Y'know, I did the same thing, but I only killed one of the guys and the other couldn't hit us at all. So, just to be safe, I redid the level and didn't shoot the guys at the end.

Pavol and Artyom escaped unscathed. So, I'd redo that if I were you and don't shoot the enemies because I don't think it qualifies as a "forced" kill.

Well, I'm already at the area just past the Swamps, so redoing it now is probably just the same as doing another playthrough. Guess I'll just find out and be able to confirm if it unlocks or not for others that may have this issue. Have to do other playthroughs anyways.

Edit: Did not get the achievement, so I would not kill the guys rushing towards you.

Only guys I killed were the 2 rushing after you in the escape I mentioned, guys on the train in the Chase, green snipers, guys in D6. Are any of these doable without killing anyone?

Edited by Quid Squid

Hello everyone. My first play through of Metro I wanted to go completely stealth and get the Shadow Ranger cheevie, well I sounded an alarm and got a checkpoint in the process so no matter what I do I'm detected. My question is, can you still get the Shadow Ranger achievement if I did chapter select or would it void it? Thank you so very much to any help.

I can confirm that you can indeed reload a checkpoint/restart level and unlock the achievement still, the problem being is I don't really understand this achievement, I went through it on my other account and only killed one person in the chase, and one in a stealth section where there was no subdue option, and the achievement unlocked. Today I went through it on my friends account and made sure I killed nobody, yet the achievement didn't unlock, and I can 100% say I killed no one in that second playthrough, I think it's a tad misleading.

I can confirm that you can indeed reload a checkpoint/restart level and unlock the achievement still, the problem being is I don't really understand this achievement, I went through it on my other account and only killed one person in the chase, and one in a stealth section where there was no subdue option, and the achievement unlocked. Today I went through it on my friends account and made sure I killed nobody, yet the achievement didn't unlock, and I can 100% say I killed no one in that second playthrough, I think it's a tad misleading.

Can anyone confirm that going back into a chapter and killing an enemy (for other achievements) will "reset" that chapter in terms of not killing anyone? This one's confusing as hell.

Can anyone confirm that going back into a chapter and killing an enemy (for other achievements) will "reset" that chapter in terms of not killing anyone? This one's confusing as hell.

As far as I can tell, as long as you don't finish the chapter it won't count against shadow ranger, but i'd really advise on leaving anything clean-up related until after shadow ranger, just to save yourself a lot of frustration :)

I just got the achievement. The only humans I killed were during the final stand. I knocked out probably 90% of the humans during the rest of the game so I could explore somewhat freely. I did reload one chapter, so I can say for sure that it doesn't void it.

I just got the achievement. The only humans I killed were during the final stand. I knocked out probably 90% of the humans during the rest of the game so I could explore somewhat freely. I did reload one chapter, so I can say for sure that it doesn't void it.

any tips for the Chase and green snipers?

for the Chase I stay ducked down and still end up dying.

for the green snipers I stay back by the wood triangles and cars and they swarm me from all sides so I am unable to single them out while not getting sniped either.

For the chase I just ducked. I did have to use 3 med syringes though. Once I jumped to the train, I just ran through punching them.

I'm assuming the green snipers are the ones before Pavel (colorblind :( ) I ran around until guys jumped out of the windows and punched them out. A checkpoint triggers shortly after. Then you need to run around for another minute or two and the door opens with a heavy and 2 other enemies. Once you knock them out and run in, it triggers another checkpoint. If you have a full supply of med syringes for the fight, you should get it fairly easy.

I did do this achievement with the difficulty set to easy btw.

I know it's somewhat off-topic, but how did you guys deal with the bandit in...well, BANDITS, the one who is sitting on a train cart and needs to be neutralised so the script can kick in (the surviving prisoner can then be untied and he'll jump on the cart and move out of the way)? I couldn't jump on the cart and there are is no way to KO enemies at a distance (AFAIK), so I just put a round in his head after he spotted me (however I went back to stealth and then killed him).

Seriously, "unless forced to" just couldn't be any more vague.

sneak up on his left side. you can knock him out while he is sitting. If he stands up, then you're SOL.

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I haven't tried approaching him from the left, ah well, I'll get it right next time.

I'm still curious what are the situations in which the player is forced to kill...

BTW I shot the bandit who was guarding the woman and children, is there a way of saving these NPCs and not killing that dude? I would imagine backing away after the time starts flowing normally again and getting back to stealth could work, but I haven't tried that and just assumed that this is a clear example of having no other choice but to waste the enemy.

I know it's somewhat off-topic, but how did you guys deal with the bandit in...well, BANDITS, the one who is sitting on a train cart and needs to be neutralised so the script can kick in (the surviving prisoner can then be untied and he'll jump on the cart and move out of the way)? I couldn't jump on the cart and there are is no way to KO enemies at a distance (AFAIK), so I just put a round in his head after he spotted me (however I went back to stealth and then killed him).

Seriously, "unless forced to" just couldn't be any more vague.

You MUST NOT turn the light off beside him. You just crouch behind him by the light and an X icon will come up... if you have alerted anyone (especially in this area, it will not work)

Thanks. I'm pretty sure I haven't tried approaching him from the left, ah well, I'll get it right next time.

I'm still curious what are the situations in which the player is forced to kill...

BTW I shot the bandit who was guarding the woman and children, is there a way of saving these NPCs and not killing that dude? I would imagine backing away after the time starts flowing normally again and getting back to stealth could work, but I haven't tried that and just assumed that this is a clear example of having no other choice but to waste the enemy.

Just spam :xbut: , you can knock out enemies who are aware of you. I did it on plenty of occasions.

I noticed, that every time you kill a human enemy, the loading sign appears in the lower left of the screen. Achievement progress carries over, even when you "Restart last checkpoint", so my guess is that you can't kill ANYONE that you're not allowed for this achievement to unlock. Even if you accidentally do, it will still void the achievement.

The achievement description is so vague, that it's not even funny... Reminds me of "Explorer" from the first game. Even until now, 3 years after the game came out, people still aren't clear on how to fit into the requirements, other than EXPLORE EVERY FUCKIN' CREVICE!!!

Edited by KriugerisLT

I noticed, that every time you kill a human enemy, the loading sign appears in the lower left of the screen. Achievement progress carries over, even when you "Restart last checkpoint", so my guess is that you can't kill ANYONE that you're not allowed for this achievement to unlock. Even if you accidentally do, it will still void the achievement.

The achievement description is so vague, that it's not even funny... Reminds me of "Explorer" from the first game. Even until now, 3 years after the game came out, people still aren't clear on how to fit into the requirements, other than EXPLORE EVERY FUCKIN' CREVICE!!!

Fucking Explorer MAN! tI took me 3 playthroughs to get that damn achievement. OT reloading is fine. I've not gotten the achievement yet but I've reloaded when I've set off alarms and alerted people and still gotten the stealth achievements. So I'm sure that reloading (If you're quick enough) will be ok.