343's Reclaimer Trilogy To Become A Saga

BiggD

Right from the Home Page!

Halo 4 marked the beginning of the Reclaimer storyline and the beginning of 343 Industries’ time in charge of Microsoft’s biggest franchise.

Yet while this storyline was initially envisaged as a trilogy, it has now evolved into something else. Something bigger.

Speaking to GameSpot, Microsoft Game Studios corporate VP Phil Spencer said that the Xbox Halo game debuted at E3 (which has yet to receive a proper name) is a “legitimate” Halo title.

"It is the next Halo game that we are working on," he said. "We will talk more about the story arc in the game and how it plays out; we've got more time to talk about that."

"But having [producer Bonnie Ross] come out and announce the game, making sure people know it's a legitimate version of Halo coming out, and when it's coming out, and features that they're focused on, we thought was...important."

More than just a “legitimate” Halo game and the first appearance from Master Chief on Xbox One, however, the latest entry sees the series broaden its scope.

"While we originally said trilogy,” said Spencer, we've actually expanded this to more of a saga, so we don't want to limit the Reclaimer story within a trilogy."

You can watch the announcement trailer for Halo on Xbox One below. The game is out in 2014.

Thoughts?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From the "What new features?" thread:

What's starting to annoy me is that this isn't being referred to as Halo "5," just Halo "Xbox One." What the hell?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-us/universe/detail/111609fe-d53c-4400-b4d6-44ae3629dda3/halo-xbox-one

It's still not listed under the "games" section at Halo Waypoint, as of this post on June 18th, 9:42 A.M. EST (I'm so official!). Why isn't Halo "Xbox One" up there yet, but "Spartan ASSault" is?! Both were announced fairly close together. Is it because SA is arriving next month?

https://www.halowaypoint.com/en-US/games

So what is this gonna be, 343i? Is this supposed to tie in to Spielburg's TV show? Or is this an "in between" sort of game that takes place after the events of Halo 4, but before the events of Halo 5? What what what waht wat wut culd dis b

This is goddamned disgusting. First Spartan Assault, now Halo "Xbox One," "Bootcamp" is still floating around, and there's only going to be more for the next ten years.

Money money money money money.

How long is the development cycle for Halo "Xbox One" going to be, assuming it's out Q4 2014? Two years? Jesus. I don't want to see Halo turning into something like this. The only thing that'll make it worse is if 343i splits into two different groups, and those groups would work on a different Halo game, then we could have a full retail Halo every freakin' year. They're turning the reclaimer trilogy into a saga just so they don't have to worry about coming up with new non-Forerunnery material, so they can continue to ride off of Bungie's back for the next decade, possibly even longer.

I've been with Halo since near the beginning back in late '01, but I'm done. I'm out. No more books, either. Maybe I'll Watch this Halo "Xbox One" campaign on YouTube, hopefully someone out there is decent enough to not screech and sprint around the areas like they've got something stuck up their ass.

Might pick up "5" and "6" but none of this "in between" bullcrap. Time to hold up the original trilogy like it was the second coming of Christ, and move on. There's better things to play.

Edited by LickableLemons7

This is goddamned disgusting. I've been with Halo since near the beginning back in late '01, but I'm done. I'm out. Might pick up "5" and "6" but none of this "in between" bullcrap. Time to hold up the original trilogy like it was the second coming of Christ, and move on. There's better things to play.

And who's to say 343 won't try to extend this franchise another decade long after they're finished with their initial 10-year plan? Sigh...

I mean, as much as I thought 343 did a great job with Halo 4, all I want is truly want is 5 and 6. No more. I've loved Halo since its inception and it's still one of my favorite games/series/franchises...but enough is enough! Sure, they want to include as much story as possible. But we have the extended media to dive deeper into the lore and shit. No need to make 30 games about it.

Knowing me though, I'll most likely pick up whatever they deliver. A part of me believes that as long as the games have a strong storyline, than that's all that matters. The gameplay will always be the same, and I REALLY don't care about the MP anymore.

I don't think this is a bad thing personally, locking the original games into a trilogy made the pacing of Halo 3 really wacky because they had to accelerate events to tie it all up. They made it work mind you, but it probably could have been done better if they had an opportunity to space it out more.

I'm just hoping the series ends up evolving more in the process, either by the "main" series going beyond your everyday FPS (see Titanfall for some examples), or a series of spinoff games that venture into other genres.

But we have the extended media to dive deeper into the lore and shit. No need to make 30 games about it.

Exactly. And why do they plan on making more games? I'm guessing the books aren't selling well. What sells well?

The games.

We have no word yet in regards to a sequel to The Thursday War in the Kilo-Five trilogy, and I believe that Greg Bear doesn't plan on adding more to The Forerunner Saga. There's always more that can be added to the main series. We didn't have a game about the events First Strike, and Chief was in that. And we can even have more collections like Halo: Evolutions.

Knowing me though, I'll most likely pick up whatever they deliver. A part of me believes that as long as the games have a strong storyline, than that's all that matters. The gameplay will always be the same, and I REALLY don't care about the MP anymore.

Hmm. I'd rather not buy the thing, knowing I paid $60 and I'm not even touching the multiplayer. Guess it's best to sell it once you're done with the campaign, or just get it used.

I don't think this is a bad thing personally, locking the original games into a trilogy made the pacing of Halo 3 really wacky because they had to accelerate events to tie it all up.

I blame this on Microsoft setting a concrete release date and forcing Bungie to pump out Halo 2 prematurely. Microsoft could've push Halo 2's launch back, but I they didn't. Hence a lot of stuff was cut from it completely, some elements for good, and other elements moved into Halo 3

Money money money money money.

How long is the development cycle for Halo "Xbox One" going to be, assuming it's out Q4 2014? Two years? Jesus. I don't want to see Halo turning into something like this. The only thing that'll make it worse is if 343i splits into two different groups, and those groups would work on a different Halo game, then we could have a full retail Halo every freakin' year. They're turning the reclaimer trilogy into a saga just so they don't have to worry about coming up with new non-Forerunnery material, so they can continue to ride off of Bungie's back for the next decade, possibly even longer.

Yep.

This is goddamned disgusting. First Spartan Assault, now Halo "Xbox One," "Bootcamp" is still floating around, and there's only going to be more for the next ten years.

What is this "Bootcamp"?

We all knew Halo wouldn't stop at 6, but the way they are presenting this seems like they are going to run the franchise right into the ground now. You'd think devs and publishers would realize that over-saturating the market with Halo games is not going to help the franchise's already dwindling playerbase. Just look at how well that worked out for the entire rhythm game genre.

I would really not like to see Halo become a yearly release.

I'm not sure what to think. As a big Halo fan I want there to be more Halo games, but as others have said, I don't want this turning into COD with a new game every one or two years. Hopefully all this means is they've come up with so much story for the Reclaimer trilogy that they don't think they can do a good job of cramming it into only three games.

But, as long as the story is enjoyable and does a good job of expanding the Halo universe, then I'm happy. Like BiggD, at this point I've lost most of my interest in Halo's multiplayer, so the campaign is really what I care about.

What is this "Bootcamp"?

^I second that what is bootcamp...

And I don't know how this upsets people that companies are all about money... That is how basic economy works...

I mean with the DMR reversal and this people be like "They didn't listen to us they just want are money!" But money is what speaks to corporation... Not some fan boy at a convention somewhere...

I mean if they took a random polling of what people thought of the features of the X-1 before they changed the results could have been anything depending on the people selected so it wouldn't have been an accurate poll.

The reason why they reversed it is because they where getting beaten out by PS4 5:1 in the preorders.... Now had they X-1 out sold the PS4 you wouldn't have seen any changes...

Point being they will milk Halo till its a dried up husk... And they will do it to all the well selling series.... I mean we live in a world with Saw 18s, and Final Destination Elventy. :p

Why come up with something new if the old sells... We are creatures of habit and comfort and we like things that are familiar to us.

That all being said I hope this will bring about an ODST game with some meat to it. :D

What is 'bootcamp'? No one knows.

Bootcamp, according to the listing spotted by GameFront, is a third-person shooter. There's also some mention of online play. The publisher is listed as Microsoft, so it's a legit Halo project.

"What's Bootcamp? It is not related to our Xbox One efforts, or the Reclaimer Saga, but rather a project we're very enthusiastic about and will have more to say about in the near future," a Microsoft rep told GameFront. The Reclaimer Saga is the new trilogy of Halo games that began with Halo 4.

Actually, anyone will guess right - it's one of the new Halo-related games that will further drive Halo into the ground.

Microsoft, just because Nintendo have made a killing from Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong, it doesn't mean it'll be the same with 5+ more Halo games.

It's time to think of something new and leave Master Chief and Halo alone. Finish it at 6, do your stupid Halo TV thing and get over it.

Hmm. I'd rather not buy the thing, knowing I paid $60 and I'm not even touching the multiplayer. Guess it's best to sell it once you're done with the campaign, or just get it used.

You know, I'd probably end up doing just that. Getting it real used for cheap since I'll only end up playing the Campaign only.

I just wish 343 would do Halo 5 in 2015, and Halo 6 in 2018. Maybe the H2 Anniversary in 2014. And that's that. No more games. Start something new. Even if you have to hold onto the whole Sci-Fi FPS genre.

I guess it just really bothers me that my favorite game series is going to become utter shit with 2309832 installments over the next decade and how it's going to get to much shit for it.

I would really not like to see Halo become a yearly release.

This would sadden me. And they would probably end up splitting their studio into smaller teams or whatever like Ubisoft does for the AC games, in order to pump out ames annually.

Microsoft, just because Nintendo have made a killing from Mario, Zelda and Donkey Kong, it doesn't mean it'll be the same with 5+ more Halo games.

It's time to think of something new and leave Master Chief and Halo alone. Finish it at 6, do your stupid Halo TV thing and get over it.

Yupp, I fully agree. Minus the Halo TV series. That has potential to be good, so we'll see.

I confess that the whole annual Halo thing is getting out of controller. I can only hope it doesn't become an "annual series" in the sense that CoD has ( I don't care if they do little projects like Spartan Assault and the expansion that ODST was supposed to be) but assuming what we saw is, in fact, Halo 5, that means it would've only had a 2-year development time, far less than what any quality Halo entry should be given.

In confession, though, I will continue to play Halo games so long as the Universe is interesting and the games remain enjoyable. I suspect 343 might start taking the series into farfetched and ridiculous directions though, so pray that I'm wrong or I might be forced to end my stay with the series in favor of something else (Hope like hell there's actually a series for me to take up in it's place. It was going to be Mass Effect, but they kind of screwed the pooch on that one already. Hoping ME4 does something grand and takes exploration of the existing universe to a new level instead of just retconning everything, rebooting, or recreating the entire universe. Just let me explore more of the inner-workings of all the races, give me more cities to explore, etc... I honestly want a Mass Effect MMO, but I'm afraid they might destroy it like they did Elder Scrolls and The Old Republic.)

I confess that the whole annual Halo thing is getting out of controller....but assuming what we saw is, in fact, Halo 5, that means it would've only had a 2-year development time, far less than what any quality Halo entry should be given.

In confession, though, I will continue to play Halo games so long as the Universe is interesting and the games remain enjoyable. I suspect 343 might start taking the series into farfetched and ridiculous directions though, so pray that I'm wrong or I might be forced to end my stay with the series in favor of something else (Hope like hell there's actually a series for me to take up in it's place).

Development time for these main games should be 3-4 years minimum.

Bolded for agreement.

I feel that the Halo-series should have ended after the release of Reach.

Personally, I don't mind that they continued it. I just hate that Halo has turned into a chameleon that's trying to camoflauge itself with its competition. No, fuck no -- stop that shit, chameleon; we want the real you, not a dang opaque representation of you.

All these stupid spinoffs are going to get on people's nerves too. I can forgive Halo 3's ODST because its success wasn't dependent on some shoe-horned in multiplayer but rather the experience of playing it and its singleplayer; the firefight mode made its appearance as well.

But goddamn, we have CoD 1, 2, & 3 -- that's quite a few, but wait, there's WaW, MW1 (CoD 4), MW2, MW3, BO1, BO2 and now Ghosts 1. Holy shit, mang. Since when did a single IP need 3+ storylines? Is Halo going to fall victim to this scummy practice as well? I sure hope not, but with what announcements has been made recently, I sure wouldn't be surprised. The new two-year development cycle makes me cautious as all hell.

Personally, I don't mind that they continued it. I just hate that Halo has turned into a chameleon that's trying to camoflauge itself with its competition. No, fuck no -- stop that shit, chameleon; we want the real you, not a dang opaque representation of you.

All these stupid spinoffs are going to get on people's nerves too. I can forgive Halo 3's ODST because its success wasn't dependent on some shoe-horned in multiplayer but rather the experience of playing it and its singleplayer; the firefight mode made its appearance as well.

There's also the fact that ODST was intended as a single-player expansion, an idea that I wholeheartedly welcome into the franchise. Give us expansion packs to extend the campaigns and fill in gaps with more storyline. I do feel making it a stand-alone game was unnecessary, but at least it worked out for the best in the long run. They need to resume this "expansion" idea though...

But goddamn, we have CoD 1, 2, & 3 -- that's quite a few, but wait, there's WaW, MW1 (CoD 4), MW2, MW3, BO1, BO2 and now Ghosts 1. Holy shit, mang. Since when did a single IP need 3+ storylines? Is Halo going to fall victim to this scummy practice as well? I sure hope not, but with what announcements has been made recently, I sure wouldn't be surprised. The new two-year development cycle makes me cautious as all hell.

Hold on. You forgot a few:

1. CoD 1

2. CoD: United Offensive

3. CoD: Finest Hour

4. CoD 2: Big Red One

4. CoD 2

5. CoD 3

6. CoD4:MW

7. CoD: Modern Warfare: Mobilized

8. CoD: WaW

9. CoD: MW2

10. CoD: BO

11. CoD: BO DS

12. CoD: MW3

13. CoD: BO2

14. CoD: BOD

15. CoD: Ghosts

The only one that could be argued being here is United Offensive since it was just an expansion to the 1st game, but it was feature-length and added as much content as the original game, so I decided it fit the parameters as much as ODST does for Halo. The rest of the games on this list offer unique characters, unique storylines, and unique experiences (this is a very vague definition of the word 'unique'.)

In contrast to Halo, where we have:

1. Halo: CE

2. Halo 2

3. Halo 3

4. Halo Wars

5. Halo 3: Recon/ODST

6. Halo: Reach

7. Halo 4

8. Halo: Spartan Assault

9. Halo 5

10. Halo 6

The last 3 on this list aren't even out yet, so Halo has 7 versus the 14 that CoD has. A fair difference, but Halo seems like it might want to give CoD a run for its money with this talk about the Reclaimer series being a saga.

In other news, Hishoa! You're still alive!

Well come on, with each announcement they're forcing Halo into the same vein as CoD.

Yup.

Also, looking at the thread that's quoted in your sig you guys all look like cynical fucks. :p The hilarious kind of cynical fucks. ;) :biglaugh

For anyone wondering, it basically went like this:

Some guy: I was MLG :woop::woop:

Everyone else: *Sarcastic :bow:* :weirdo :biglaugh :AR15:woop::chair F you, you smug :rant:

And that's how you tell semi-comprehensible stories using smilies, kids.

In confession, though, I will continue to play Halo games so long as the Universe is interesting and the games remain enjoyable.

You and BiggD, you both sound like you'll probably never stop playing new Halo games, although you might give up the preorders and Collector's Editions etc. :biglaugh Halo will always hold some enjoyment. ;) For you guys at least. :biglaugh

The last 3 on this list aren't even out yet, so Halo has 7 versus the 14 that CoD has. A fair difference, but Halo seems like it might want to give CoD a run for its money with this talk about the Reclaimer series being a saga.

I just know I won't be a happy camper if Halo turns into the type of franchise that has 3 or more concurrent timelines happening at once. Halo Wars, Reach and Halo 3: ODST were standalone entirely; I don't think a sequel/prequel to either have been announced for either. Other than that it was just the normal Trilogy.

CoD right now has MW, BO and Ghosts. Ugh.

http://i.imgur.com/CeuG1.gif

There's also the fact that ODST was intended as a single-player expansion, an idea that I wholeheartedly welcome into the franchise. Give us expansion packs to extend the campaigns and fill in gaps with more storyline. I do feel making it a stand-alone game was unnecessary, but at least it worked out for the best in the long run. They need to resume this "expansion" idea though...

Hold on. You forgot a few:

1. CoD 1

2. CoD: United Offensive

3. CoD: Finest Hour

4. CoD 2: Big Red One

4. CoD 2

5. CoD 3

6. CoD4:MW

7. CoD: Modern Warfare: Mobilized

8. CoD: WaW

9. CoD: MW2

10. CoD: BO

11. CoD: BO DS

12. CoD: MW3

13. CoD: BO2

14. CoD: BOD

15. CoD: Ghosts

The only one that could be argued being here is United Offensive since it was just an expansion to the 1st game, but it was feature-length and added as much content as the original game, so I decided it fit the parameters as much as ODST does for Halo. The rest of the games on this list offer unique characters, unique storylines, and unique experiences (this is a very vague definition of the word 'unique'.)

In contrast to Halo, where we have:

1. Halo: CE

2. Halo 2

3. Halo 3

4. Halo Wars

5. Halo 3: Recon/ODST

6. Halo: Reach

7. Halo 4

8. Halo: Spartan Assault

9. Halo 5

10. Halo 6

Don't forget Halo CE Anniversary and a possible H2Anniversary :chair

Those aren't new entries though. CEA was just an HD remake of an existing game while I was only listing the independent titles that each series has seen.

Plus given the fact that Halo "5" is scheduled for a 2014 launch, I would say that makes H2A unlikely to happen. 2014 would've been the 10 year anniversary of H2 and they likely would've announced it at E3 like they did with H:CEA a couple years ago.

Halo "Xbox One" confirmed to not be Halo "5."

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-15372-E3-Halo-Unveil-Wasn-t-Halo-5--Halo-2--Anniversary-Being-Discussed.html

Most likely won't be buying, unless it's campaign only. Then I'd forgive the two-year development cycle. If they do shell out Halo 2: Anniversary in the same timeframe as Halo "Xbox One" I'd rather get Halo 2 Anniversary. If H2A is bundled together with HX1, that's a whole 'nother story.