General Gameplay Tips

Monsterbox

Going to get started on another thread of information that does not necessarily pertain to gaining achievments, but will overall help you out while playing the game. Please feel free to add anything that you have discovered in the way of tips, tricks and secrets. I will not be reiterating things that are contained in the Achievement guide. (IE: unlocking infinite sprint, rewards for activity level/location, etc...)

So, without further ado, the tips!

Notoriety Raising

(Potentially help with Helicopters/FBI Agents/Bill)

I often find myself having a difficult time getting my notoriety up quickly in this game. I have found that a great way to get your notoriety up quickly is to rob a store, badly. During the day, start a hold-up. At night, break in and access the safe. If you screw up the heist during the day, they will hit the alarm and you're lookin at 2 notoriety strikes almost instantly. At night, if you've broken in, botch the safe combination. You will gain notoriety faster if you keep screwing up the combination.

Open Warfare

Once you have a high rating, the best way to survive is making sure you have plenty of backup. You should hopefully have 3 homies in your party. Drive around into large groups of free-roaming Saints while you're being pursued and they'll step up to protect their brethren. Very quickly you're looking at Open War on the streets of Stilwater. Especially useful if you're looking for helicopters, since the more people who've got your back, the less you have to worry about the guys on foot taking you out while you're scanning the skies.

Theft

Do not use the Bulldog or any other vehicle with a tailgate as a theft vehicle. One good shot from behind by a police car will cause the tailgate to flop free and your package is going to go flying on the next turn, failing the theft. Good cars for thefts are Five-O, TraxMaster and Nordberg. If cops arrived before you got the goods out of the store, you can smoke the police and take their car as a means of transportation. They are extremely fast and durable. If you really want to set yourself up, get an FBI for your garage and use that for your Thefts. Lots of carrying room and rediculously durable.

Steady Hand

Click the left stick to crouch when firing an automatic weapon. Your bullets will be a great deal more accurate and will be more likely to stop your target in their tracks.

Tap the Brakes

When you've taken hostages, one of the biggest sticking points can be corners. An easy way to take turns in a car is to start turning early and tap the left trigger. This will active the e-brake and send the car drifting into the intersection. With enough practice you'll be able to drift the car around the corner 9 times out of 10 and barely have to slow down.

Rubbin is Racing

During any chase, whether you have hostages, packages or have just gotten into a chase for the fun of it (makes the tourist achievement go by faster if you're looking for it) a good way to keep the heat off of you is by rubbing the police cars off into obstacles. If you let off the gas a bit as they're coming up on you, they will typically flank you to one side. Bring yourself back up to speed and edge toward them a bit. Not hard over, but just enough to make the car swing their way. The Five O will over-react and move too far away from you. A good time to do this is just before an expressway ramp, or into oncoming traffic, or near the side of the building. If you don't outdistance them outright, you'll definitely slow them way down and give you some more time off the clock in hostage situations.

more tips to come as i think of them. :)

• 10 months later...

a way to get that FBI guy Bill is to do the VK drug trafficking activity like level 7 and when you see him quickly end the activity and kill him you can also get the FBI vehicle this way

EDIT: sorry for necroposting but I just wanted to help some people