Game of the Year

I usually don't post negative comments about games, but this was very unexpected to me. O_o

I don't see what people see in this "game", but whatever: I'm somewhat satisfied that it beat the said AAA titles. :D

Congrats The Walking Dead, maybe someday I'll get the boredom to play through the first episode completely.

So a game with downloadable episodes won. If Walking Dead was not a show, would it have got the same recognition? No probably not.

"Interactive Visual Novel" is a better term, it's not much of a game. :D

But yes, I completely agree that without the comics and show (which are both great, in their media standards) it wouldn't have gotten the recognition.

So a game with downloadable episodes won. If Walking Dead was not a show, would it have got the same recognition? No probably not.

No, but it also wouldn't have been made in the first place. Regardless, the games moved away from the comics it was based on and created it's own identity very quickly.

Regardless of the shows success, which undoubtedly was not just the reason it sold so well, but also as I said the reason it was made in the first place, it should be looked at as the first game did well because of the show, if the first episode had been bad, the rest wouldn't have sold as well as they did, and also wouldn't have become as loved as it has been, and in turn would never have been nominated for Game of the Year. Telltale did an amazing job with this game, and it completely deserves the award. In fact I'd go as far as to say it's the only game released this year that deserved to even be nominated for it.

Not to mention...

Best Downloadable Game

Best Performance by a Human Female

Best Adapted Video Game

Studio of the Year

http://www.spike.com/events/video-game-awards-2012-nominees/voting/game-of-the-year

Guess you can just look at it this way... despite the usual stigma of being a LP, based off a movie/tv show/etc, it out ranked many IP.

Edited by artphobia

Did you guys also enjoy Jurassic Park?

Not as much because the story wasn't as compelling. Also, the moral choices weren't present.

Back to the Future on PS3 was also fun, but not great.

I don't watch the Walking Dead and have never read the comics. However, I adored the game. I want to go back through and chose everything completely differently.

I'm very happy and surprised to see The Walking Dead win GOTY. The Walking Dead left more of an impact on me than any other game I played this year.

I think people saying it wouldn't have won if it weren't for the popularity of the show aren't giving the game enough credit. I know plenty of people who don't watch the show or read the comics but they adored the game. Telltale created an amazing experience here.

As for me, I watch the show (I'm not much of a comic reader) and The Walking Dead: The Game triumphs over the show in every conceivable way.

I usually don't post negative comments about games, but this was very unexpected to me. O_o

I don't see what people see in this "game", but whatever: I'm somewhat satisfied that it beat the said AAA titles. :D

Congrats The Walking Dead, maybe someday I'll get the boredom to play through the first episode completely.

This was my notion. It's a very good interactive cinematic with gameplay elements but it didn't deserve GOTY. It really did nothing new or innovative and I feel the franchise tie-in is what sold it as a winner. I look at it as The Walking Dead in general was recognized for decent story-telling elements. Not a "Game of the Year". For at least the first 2 eps, there wasn't really much involved to make me want to care about the characters. Secondly, the voice acting isn't great by any means.

I found the Jurassic Park game to be a wonderful piece of entertainment. But given that there are a wider variety of choices, I'll probably play this once more.

A GOTY winner should evoke the want to play multiple times. I feel it riding on an episodic run isn't giving it "replay value" but just stringing it along for that purpose.

Matters not to me regardless. Halo 4, Assassin's Creed and Darksiders 2 were my heavy hitters and they impressed.

• 4 months later...