Marco Polo (Netflix Original)

Rapture639

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWtv5Ht4YZE]Marco Polo - Teaser Trailer - Netflix [HD] - YouTube[/ame]

Intrigue. Deception. Bloodshed. These are just some of the obstacles awaiting legendary explorer Marco Polo as he navigates the inner court of 13th century ruler, Kublai Khan. From the back alleys of Venice to the perilous Silk Road, from the opulence of the Imperial City to the battlefields of China, Marco Polo is an epic action-adventure, where cultures clash, blood is spilled, and lies are told...

Comes out December 12. Looks interesting!

• 1 month later...

Has anyone else watched this show yet? I just finished the last episode and I gotta say it was pretty enjoyable. The opening theme is simply amazing, from the music, to the ink paintings masterfully crafted into elaborating drawings (even if it is CG lol), it sits as one of my favorite TV openings of all time. Marco Polo starts off a bit slow, but gets much better as the other characters develop and the show builds towards the climatic battle at the end. Polo himself isn't all that interesting, which is a bit unfortunate given that he's the main character, but the rest of the cast does a good job with their roles, and the show gets much better when the focus is on them rather than Polo himself during the second half of the series. My favorite character is easily Hundred Eyes followed by Chancellor Sidao. The kung fu fights in this show were great, and I wished there were more of those in the show.

Has anyone else watched this show yet? I just finished the last episode and I gotta say it was pretty enjoyable. The opening theme is simply amazing, from the music, to the ink paintings masterfully crafted into elaborating drawings (even if it is CG lol), it sits as one of my favorite TV openings of all time. Marco Polo starts off a bit slow, but gets much better as the other characters develop and the show builds towards the climatic battle at the end. Polo himself isn't all that interesting, which is a bit unfortunate given that he's the main character, but the rest of the cast does a good job with their roles, and the show gets much better when the focus is on them rather than Polo himself during the second half of the series. My favorite character is easily Hundred Eyes followed by Chancellor Sidao. The kung fu fights in this show were great, and I wished there were more of those in the show.

The opening is amazingly well crafted.

The show starts off VERY slow.

Polo himself really doesn't start to get interesting until way later in this first season when he saves his father and uncle from death (but they end up without their golden tablet allowing them to trade on the Silk Road).

Hopefully, as Polo becomes more and more enriched by eastern culture, he'll become more interesting. But the palace intrigue of Kubli Khan's court is definitely the main draw of the show. The kung fu and battle sequences are just icing on the cake IMO.

• 3 weeks later...
The opening is amazingly well crafted.

The show starts off VERY slow.

Polo himself really doesn't start to get interesting until way later in this first season when he saves his father and uncle from death (but they end up without their golden tablet allowing them to trade on the Silk Road).

Hopefully, as Polo becomes more and more enriched by eastern culture, he'll become more interesting. But the palace intrigue of Kubli Khan's court is definitely the main draw of the show. The kung fu and battle sequences are just icing on the cake IMO.

I gave up about 5 episodes in as it did seem incredibly slow. Wasn't going to bother carrying on but if you say it gets better towards the end of the season I might have to revisit it and see how it pans out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Agree completely with the majority of what you said Rapture.

It was decent enough thanks to the odd character, Hundred Eyes for me also being a favourite as well as Chancellor Sidao but it wasn't helped in the slightest by Polo being tediously boring. What didn't help at all was how it was branded to be on a scale alike to 'Game of Thrones' due to the huge budget of the show which meant it didn't live up to the hype I had going in.

Scenery / production and such however was pretty awesome, especially the Kubli Khan's Court but the show wasn't one that lead me to binge on it overall. I think I actually ended up watching the show over a 2 week period when in comparison to OITNB, another Netflix readily available whole season show which I watched in 1-2 days left me feeling a little let down.

All the same I'm interested to see more but simply not chomping at the bit to find out when we will get more.

• 2 weeks later...
All the same I'm interested to see more but simply not chomping at the bit to find out when we will get more.

That's a good point. With House of Cards Season 3 out soon, the new Daredevil series, and the rumored Legend of Zelda show, there are plenty of great shows on Netflix to look forward to. I do think the show deserves another chance with at least 1 more season on Netflix. Most of the characters have been established and the first season ended on an interesting cliffhanger, so I definitely want to see what they could do with it if they can ignore the boring parts of the show and jump straight into the action and drama with a second season.

Edited by Rapture639

Yeah exactly. I'm always looking forward to the 'A series of unfortunate events' show I've heard about too plus all the other various Marvel character shows being casted and such. But I agree it deserves another season at least, I just can't believe it's budget and thereafter lack of big scenes and such. It would make sense though that after the big spend on everything they put together for S1 that it would lead to more in the second season in terms of action.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...