Xbox One Will Turn on, Download Queued Content and Go Back to Sleep

iBuzz7S

This is awesome news. I'm forever learning about great deals at work and having to purchase them from xbox.com. With this new feature, I won't have to bug my wife to turn my Xbox on when I'm at work lol.
Only now she will be at home then hear the Xbox turn on by itself, most likely she will then call you at work claiming the house is haunted....only for the Xbox to turn off while she is on the phone and send her running away screaming :p

Only now she will be at home then hear the Xbox turn on by itself, most likely she will then call you at work claiming the house is haunted....only for the Xbox to turn off while she is on the phone and send her running away screaming :p

You're right. I may have to get an Xbox One earlier than expected. :biglaugh

Everyone does know this means if you want to use this feature, your Xbox One has to ALWAYS be connected and is in a low-power state where it can be awoken by the XBL servers? And yet, people bitched about other things that required this... The world is a strange place.

heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time :p

OT: This will be great for day one digital releases for people who can't be home to start the download of a newly launched game...they can do it from anywhere :)

Everyone does know this means if you want to use this feature, your Xbox One has to ALWAYS be connected and is in a low-power state where it can be awoken by the XBL servers? And yet, people bitched about other things that required this... The world is a strange place.

Don't worry, I'm attentive enough to know.

I won't be using this feature. If only for the power saving implications.

Unless someone wants to drag the hard math in here because they know the exact energy consumption specs, I presume leaving the One in that hibernation state consumes about as much energy as my atom processor mining. The difference between the two is that the One won't be carrying it's weight on an electricity bill.

Maybe worth it if you have a shitty DSL connection and don't care about the energy. As fiber becomes more of a thing for the most of you (you know, that whole "are you coming with me to the future" spiel), you'll flip on your Xbox, have everything downloaded before you've poured your first cup of coffee in the morning.

OT: This will be great for day one digital releases for people who can't be home to start the download of a newly launched game...they can do it from anywhere :)

You could kind of do that now with a 360 plugged into a smart UPS (360 has the ability to power itself back on after a "power failure", right?).

Edited by Felonious Monk

This feature is optional, what people were 'bitching' about was something totally different.

That said, a cool feature for convenience. Probably will hardly use it but good nonetheless.

This feature is optional, what people were 'bitching' about was something totally different.

That said, a cool feature for convenience. Probably will hardly use it but good nonetheless.

I never said anything about optional versus mandatory. People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works. And it works exactly like everything people fought against. It just seems strange that people will accept this as awesome just because MS didn't publicly address how it works (needing to be always connected, always in a low-power state, AND the XBL servers have the ability to control your Xbox).

I think it is a cool idea, but that doesn't mean I'll just gloss over how, exactly, it works. Personally, I'd rather have a system that has a mandatory check-in every 24 hours, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about the ability of the XBL servers to turn your system on and off. That is more than just passive collection of data.

I never said anything about optional versus mandatory. People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works. And it works exactly like everything people fought against. It just seems strange that people will accept this as awesome just because MS didn't publicly address how it works (needing to be always connected, always in a low-power state, AND the XBL servers have the ability to control your Xbox).

I think it is a cool idea, but that doesn't mean I'll just gloss over how, exactly, it works. Personally, I'd rather have a system that has a mandatory check-in every 24 hours, but I don't know how comfortable I feel about the ability of the XBL servers to turn your system on and off. That is more than just passive collection of data.

Definitely can understand that. The less people know about something, the more they praise it and love it. Until they notice, they won't care lol

So if I buy a DLC or game from Xbox.com, the One will turn on and start downloading right away? Sounds good. I wonder if this will work for digital pre-orders? Can I pre-order a game, go to sleep, and when the game releases at midnight on launch day, the One turns on to download my new game so it's ready to play when I wake up?

So if I buy a DLC or game from Xbox.com, the One will turn on and start downloading right away? Sounds good. I wonder if this will work for digital pre-orders? Can I pre-order a game, go to sleep, and when the game releases at midnight on launch day, the One turns on to download my new game so it's ready to play when I wake up?

That'd actually be pretty awesome if implemented. I probably won't be using this feature though. And that constant power needed sounds like a problem.

That'd actually be pretty awesome if implemented. I probably won't be using this feature though. And that constant power needed sounds like a problem.

This really isn't an issue for me because I download this way anyway. The only difference is now I don't have to manually turn on the console. And for the console to update automatically is a HUGE plus for me. I hate when I turn on my Xbox to play a game and I have to wait for a console update to finish before I can play.

heh...don't try to reason with the masses my friend, tis a waste of time :p

Isn't that the truth? Think I'll add it to my sig.

People appear to be blindly accepting this without wondering how it works.

I see it's irony time again.

And it works exactly like everything people fought against.

You sound surprised. This isn't the first time a "feature" of XB1 has been readily accepted by people, even though the mechanics of that feature went dead against what some of those very people fought against.

• 2 weeks later...