All save data deleted?

Kinky Buns

I closed my game normally last name and shut off my xbox only to come back today and find out ALL my characters have been deleted, including all my challenges... has this happened to anyone else? I'm so angry right now :\ i was already level 30 with full legendary on my monk and now it's all gone and I don't even know why.

EDIT: Oh and if this does happen to someone else don't expect Blizzard to help. I just tried to submit a ticket and it says they refuse to accept support tickets for the Console versions of Diablo 3. Fucking blizzard.

Edited by Kinky Buns

If a game is using autosave there's allays a chance a savegame might get "corrupted" ! I tried to backup my D3 save on the Xbox "cloud HDD", but you can't copy it ;-( If they gave us the possibility to save on HDD why can't we buck up our saves ? Damn you Blizzard...

I believe this also happened to someone else in this thread:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/showthread.php?t=527027

Unknown is the cause of such a thing happening, but it is indeed stressful, and annoying.

I closed my game normally last name and shut off my xbox only to come back today and find out ALL my characters have been deleted, including all my challenges... has this happened to anyone else? I'm so angry right now :\ i was already level 30 with full legendary on my monk and now it's all gone and I don't even know why.

EDIT: Oh and if this does happen to someone else don't expect Blizzard to help. I just tried to submit a ticket and it says they refuse to accept support tickets for the Console versions of Diablo 3. Fucking blizzard.

What do you expect them to do? They don't have access to your save file, and if you lost it...they can't conjure up a new one via magic. Now...if the saves were on their end...they could have helped you.

Are you sure you didn't dashboard or power off during a time when it was autosaving?

If a game is using autosave there's allays a chance a savegame might get "corrupted" ! I tried to backup my D3 save on the Xbox "cloud HDD", but you can't copy it ;-( If they gave us the possibility to save on HDD why can't we buck up our saves ? Damn you Blizzard...

To easy for people to abuse things and cheat if they allowed copying of files.

I closed my game normally last name and shut off my xbox only to come back today and find out ALL my characters have been deleted

I tried to backup my D3 save on the Xbox "cloud HDD", but you can't copy it ;-( If they gave us the possibility to save on HDD why can't we buck up our saves ?

I hate seeing these type of posts, no back up available either.

Same problem with me happened right now =( Everything is gone. Good thing i was only level 10, but I don't know if I want to start another playthrough before it fixed =(

Threads like this serve as a great reminder that, if you are someone who values your game saves, and the countless hours you have invested in them, then you should take 5 minutes to quickly familiarize yourself with manually backing up your data. Just because you can't move or copy a save from within the storage settings menu of the console, there is nothing to prevent you from removing your storage device and copying that data using any basic, open source FATX file explorer. Whether Blizzard likes it or not, there's no way in hell I am going to invest 50-100+ hours into a game and risk losing it all over something that should have been addressed before release, even if that meant permitting the copying of saves to the cloud or secondary devices from within the console itself.

As long as you are using some form of removable storage, you absolutely can backup your data, no matter what Blizzard may want you to believe. For anyone who wishes to do so, the process is a relatively simple one:

1. Start game.

2. Select save device.

3. Save game.

4. Dashboard if using USB, power down if using a HDD.

5. Remove save device.

6. For USB, you can just insert the drive into your PC / Mac / *nix box. If you are using a HDD as your save device, either invest in a transfer cable, or remove the drive from the shell and place it in an external SATA enclosure or attach it to a SATA port in your system.

7. Use a FATX file explorer or cross-platform file manager to copy your save from your preferred save device to your machine.

When you have finished copying files over, just return the USB or HDD to the 360 and continue gaming with peace of mind.

Preventing end-users from using the storage menu to legitimately move or copy files does f* all to stop cheating. A quick Google search shows that cheating / duping / editing / etc is flourishing quite nicely within the 360 version of the game.

Edited by j3s

I found this thread with a response from somebody at Blizzard, claiming that in "the vast majority" of cases, the user was using a guest profile.

http://www.d3sanc.com/blue-tracker/360-save-game-data-deleted-not-created/

My boyfriend lost his save, but he was most definitely logged in with his own Xbox profile as we're both Achievement hogs. I'm pretty paranoid about losing mine now, as my character is already level 22. :<

I found this thread with a response from somebody at Blizzard, claiming that in "the vast majority" of cases, the user was using a guest profile.

http://www.d3sanc.com/blue-tracker/360-save-game-data-deleted-not-created/

My boyfriend lost his save, but he was most definitely logged in with his own Xbox profile as we're both Achievement hogs. I'm pretty paranoid about losing mine now, as my character is already level 22. :<

Level 22 is nothing. It's like 3-4 hours of playing, if you're familiar with the game. Once you level up a couple toons to lvl 60. Then you can say that you're paranoid. :D

My advice. Back-up the saves to your PC.

Not your place to decide what people do with their own files. Good day, go away.

Sucks that it can't be copied, but there is this:

Threads like this serve as a great reminder that, if you are someone who values your game saves, and the countless hours you have invested in them, then you should take 5 minutes to quickly familiarize yourself with manually backing up your data. Just because you can't move or copy a save from within the storage settings menu of the console, there is nothing to prevent you from removing your storage device and copying that data using any basic, open source FATX file explorer. Whether Blizzard likes it or not, there's no way in hell I am going to invest 50-100+ hours into a game and risk losing it all over something that should have been addressed before release, even if that meant permitting the copying of saves to the cloud or secondary devices from within the console itself.

As long as you are using some form of removable storage, you absolutely can backup your data, no matter what Blizzard may want you to believe. For anyone who wishes to do so, the process is a relatively simple one:

1. Start game.

2. Select save device.

3. Save game.

4. Dashboard if using USB, power down if using a HDD.

5. Remove save device.

6. For USB, you can just insert the drive into your PC / Mac / *nix box. If you are using a HDD as your save device, either invest in a transfer cable, or remove the drive from the shell and place it in an external SATA enclosure or attach it to a SATA port in your system.

7. Use a FATX file explorer or cross-platform file manager to copy your save from your preferred save device to your machine.

When you have finished copying files over, just return the USB or HDD to the 360 and continue gaming with peace of mind.

Preventing end-users from using the storage menu to legitimately move or copy files does f* all to stop cheating. A quick Google search shows that cheating / duping / editing / etc is flourishing quite nicely within the 360 version of the game.

Good post. I will definitely be doing this.

My advice. Back-up the saves to your PC.

Best advice to give to anyone who wants to not lose their shit due to developer error.

Not your place to decide what people do with their own files. Good day, go away.

Actually, it IS against the Xbox terms, so if someone wants to hack or cheat with THEIR files I have every right to stick my nose in it. And since I don't know how intelligent you are, it's also Gackt's right too. That will stop the whole 'that wasn't directed at you' nonsense.

Actually, it IS against the Xbox terms, so if someone wants to hack or cheat with THEIR files I have every right to stick my nose in it. And since I don't know how intelligent you are, it's also Gackt's right too. That will stop the whole 'that wasn't directed at you' nonsense.

Whoop-de-fucking-doo. Who cares? Look how many players are using Save Editors in Dark Souls. None of them are getting a least bit of flak from MS or Namco. This game isn't running on Blizzard servers, it's P2P. If the game ran on servers, then your character data would be saved in their own database, and you wouldn't be able to dupe items.

Backing up your save files is hardly the worst crime. It's a stupid "rule". I do whatever the fuck I want with my console/save files.

Hacking/moddifying the files is a whole different story. This crap is especially annoying on games that support online PvP.

Few years ago when I was playing Starcraft 2 I had a friend who also was playing that game. I had an "moral issue" in using cheat-codes (on single player mode). That friend told me: it's your damn game, do with it what you want. I hope we won't have such future that the whole game "wont be ours" :-(

The saves don't belong to you and by opening/editing/copying files they don't want you copying doing anything to them like suggested is against the terms of service.

The saves don't belong to you and by opening/editing/copying files they don't want you copying doing anything to them like suggested is against the terms of service.

So how would you two feel if you turn your game on one day and literally ALL your shit is gone, even though you did nothing against the ToS, and there's no way to restore it all because the fucking developer didn't let you copy a save to BACK IT UP, not to fucking MOD it. Why does everyone think that just because I want to copy a save it must mean I'm going to hack it or mod it? For fucks sakes what is so wrong about backing up save files? Do you people love to have your shit erased and do it all again? Your lives must be hell.

FWIW, I back up my save with file modio. I haven't any idea how to do anything else with the files, but I feel a lot better knowing that I can restore everything should I get screwed by autosave/freeze.

Very much this. It's sad that we have to resort to using methods like this just to secure our hard earned progress from certain deletion.

Well Im one of the unlucky few this has happened to also. Im usually one for exiting a game all the way to the main menu but last night was different.

I just ended a co-op game with 2 friends ands held my guide button and shutdown. Woke up wanting to play and not only my Paragon 4 Demon hunter "poof" gone but my Lvl 22 Barb gone too. Ironically my lowest level co-op DH was intact.

Guess my point is always back out to the main.

Except people can do it easily anyway. Move save to USB stick, make image of USB stick on PC (using 'dd' or whatever OSX/Windows tool you like). Later when you want to restore your backup, restore that USB stick image to some USB stick. Woo, save game restored. Doesn't even need any dodgy tools that mess around in the Xbox 360 area of the USB stick or touch the save files. It's just a straight copy of the entire USB stick.

The save game copy protection is useless. The fact that someone might cheat by copying their savegame shouldn't matter. Cheaters are going to cheat no matter what, only legit players are suffering here.

They're suffering twice as much even, because they don't get to have a savegame backup and they still encounter cheaters online. Yay!

Why shouldn't legit players be able to backup their save files that they might spend hundreds of hours playing on?

Sony got this bit right. The saves that are normally copy protected are backed up to the PSN storage if you have PS+. You can restore a saved game once every 24 hours. Sure, there is a possibility for abuse, but it's a reasonable price to pay to not lose all of your progress in a game. Microsoft really need to implement something similar. (Cloud save games are no where near the same).

I hope the Xbox One fixes this issue.

Except people can do it easily anyway. Move save to USB stick, make image of USB stick on PC (using 'dd' or whatever OSX/Windows tool you like). Later when you want to restore your backup, restore that USB stick image to some USB stick. Woo, save game restored. Doesn't even need any dodgy tools that mess around in the Xbox 360 area of the USB stick or touch the save files. It's just a straight copy of the entire USB stick.

The save game copy protection is useless. The fact that someone might cheat by copying their savegame shouldn't matter. Cheaters are going to cheat no matter what, only legit players are suffering here.

They're suffering twice as much even, because they don't get to have a savegame backup and they still encounter cheaters online. Yay!

Why shouldn't legit players be able to backup their save files that they might spend hundreds of hours playing on?

Dude I love you. Finally somebody else with a damn brain.

Is this something that can be fixed via a patch, or is this problem doomed to remain in the game forever? I had to stop playing Skyrim due to all of the freezes I was having in my main game file, and did not want to make a whole new character just to get the remaining achievements. I am hoping I do not encounter the same thing with Diablo 3, since it also has high replayability with only using one character for extended amounts of time (paragon system and grinding for particular loot drops).

Is this something that can be fixed via a patch, or is this problem doomed to remain in the game forever? I had to stop playing Skyrim due to all of the freezes I was having in my main game file, and did not want to make a whole new character just to get the remaining achievements. I am hoping I do not encounter the same thing with Diablo 3, since it also has high replayability with only using one character for extended amounts of time (paragon system and grinding for particular loot drops).

It can be fixed with a patch, but will it. There's a big difference. My save is obviously corrupted as I have limited use of my stash without the system crashing on autosave. It only happens on my HC characters, but fortunately I beat Diablo with that, and am just finishing up the last accomplishments before I probably never play HC again. But it's still annoying knowing that I'd have to restart from scratch with every character to guarantee that my save isn't corrupt.