Phone Checkpoint Glitch Tutorial

TVthePunisher

Hey there folks, TV here! I figured I'd create a thread detailing how to use the trick as well as some other benefits that come with them. I'll provide a video guide later, as I'm currently working on I, Zombie endless now (6th streak) for the final achievement in the game.

Plants vs. Zombies - Phone Checkpoint Glitch

There are two pesky achievements (among the others ._.) in this game that require getting a certain number of streaks in I, Zombie Endless and Vasebreaker Endless (10 and 15, respectively). While you are very much welcome to challenge yourself and do it without creating these checkpoints...for those of us who "ain't got time for dat", like yours truly...here's an exploit that will not only make things easier for you...but allow you to spread this out over however long you wish. Earn this achievement while taking a crap, I've done it before (no joke...Plants vs. Zombies I play primarily while on the pot)! Doesn't really matter .__.;

So here's the basics:

• You need a Windows Phone (obviously) and a copy of the game (no, whaaa?)
  • I'm not sure what other models are like but I use a Nokia Lumia 520. I have a lockscreen button, I assume you guys on other models do as well.
  • VERY IMPORTANT - Always pay attention to what you're doing. It's frustrating screwing up this glitch if you're far along in the game because A.) you forget to make a checkpoint when you came back from the main menu or B.) you ACCIDENTALLY click on something that forces a restart (by example, if you intentionally lose in order to reload the checkpoint...you accidentally hit "Retry").
  • This exploit can also be used after getting 5 streaks to obtain 1 Diamond, infinitely for as long as you wish to do this.

So here's the written guide!

Before any of this, make sure you go into Options and make sure the option "Run when locked" is checked. Though honestly, you CAN do this glitch without that it's just you'll have to keep loading up the game EVERY SINGLE TIME afterwards. This would be another version of the glitch, which is basically just hitting the Homescreen to save a checkpoint and then loading the game again. Using a lock-screen button SAVES YOU SOOOO MUCH TIME!!

Step 1: Begin a Game

Go into either I, Zombie Endless or Vasebreaker Endless. I'm going to use I, Zombie Endless for this tutorial. Either begin a new game or continue from one you may have previously saved (either on accident by the phone crashing or I don't know...). Let's just assume you're starting a new game.

IMMEDIATELY HIT THE LOCK SCREEN! Get used to that. You need to do this EVERY time you load up a game in order to "lock in" the checkpoint. Basically go to lockscreen, unlock (hopefully you aren't using a password...I just slide mine ;>_>) and hit "Resume Game". Now proceed however you wish.

Note: Quotes are simply hints on playing regularly, not the glitch-aspects.

To play this smart, factor in math on how much sun a zombie takes plus how far they'll get along on certain rows. I'm always doing math with this mode, it's the only way to be successful. You have to calculate: Zombie Cost -> Damage from plants on Row -> How many zombies you need (of the same class or a different class). Factor in the time it takes to eat through plants and if there's a Snow-Pea, how that will effect your Zombie moving forward into eating more plants. If there's a Walnut, consider using the Ladder Zombie if there isn't anything dangerous passed the Walnut (the ladder provides a shield to the zombie itself against everything except Corn Catapults).

Step 2: Screwing Up/Loading a Checkpoint.

You can miscalculate, maybe you thought a certain zombie could make it all the way but didn't. You don't want to waste that precious sun...or you're a perfectionist, you want to get it right and come out with the most sun possible. Whatever the case, if for any reason you make a mistake (and want to try a different approach)...what you need to do is LOSE! In order to do this, simply use Football Player Zombies and Imps (as the Football Player zombies take up the most sun fastest and the Imps are the fastest zombie) on one row to force a loss.

DO NOT HIT "RETRY LEVEL", instead click the "Menu" button in the top right and Go to Main Menu.

Now simply reload the game and you'll be at the checkpoint. IMMEDIATELY CREATE A NEW CHECKPOINT WITH THE LOCKSCREEN! I can't stress this enough, the checkpoint you had BEFORE losing will be ERASED as soon as you load the game up. You have to create a new one each time. It's like a lot of Nintendo games that let you Save and Quit, but once you reload that save is lost (Majora's Mask, New Super Mario Bros.)...outside of the other save methods.

Step 3 - Checkpointing Basics

Remember that you can make a checkpoint AT ANY TIME throughout a game. This is both a benefit and a curse. For example of a benefit, say you just cleared a row with one zombie and got some sun out of it...you can checkpoint that and upon reloading (BETTER CLICK THAT LOCK SCREEN AGAIN BOY!) you'll notice you're right where you left off earlier. You can even do this while zombies are on the screen (say a zombie is about to eat a sunflower and you checkpoint, upon reloading...and clicking the lock screen before starting up, you'll notice that the zombie is still on his way to that sunflower)!

The fault that comes with this is...if you accidentally hit the lockscreen or if your game crashes on you (mine tends to do this, it does this with a lot of games and it's REALLY annoying...it boots me to the homescreen for no apparent reason) - you may have just created a checkpoint at a very bad point. Say you're trying to lose to reload a checkpoint and you've used all your sun to put out football player zombies in one row...then suddenly the game crashes. It will reload AT that checkpoint with all the zombies out...thus screwing you severely.

So...play it safe and probably checkpoint after each row, depending on the stability of your game. You don't have to if you don't want to, I don't always do it...but it may be a good idea.

Step 4 - Choosing your next level

This one I didn't really see mentioned elsewhere...if it was mentioned, I didn't pay attention ;>_> my bad. It is POSSIBLE to constantly change what level will come after you win the current one. The best way I set this up is to have ONE remaining row of plants, preferably the easiest one to overcome...and I create a checkpoint before it. Now, I send whatever zombie(s) I need to eat the final brain and I'm on to the next level.

But say I don't like this level...there's not enough sunflowers...or maybe it's just a real crappy setup. No worries! Simply LOSE THE GAME! Send all your football players/imps on one row for this new level, lose and go back to the main menu (NO RETRY)...head back into the game, LOCKSCREEN CHECKPOINT and you'll notice that you're on that final row from earlier! Obviously...do what you did before to win...and HO MAH KAWD (Barry Burton'd).......the next level's a different setup. You may end up in a string of "similar levels" but keep trying and you'll eventually get those Gloom Shroom heavy ones. Those are the easiest. And hey, there have been times when it was only supposed to be 3-4 sunflowers next game...kept trying and I eventually got a setup with 5 (AND a Gloom Shroom one at that!).

You can do this infinitely, it's a SLIGHT bit time consuming...but you really don't want to end up on a crappy level that will use A LOT of sun do you?

Step 5 - Diamonds!!!...and sometimes Gold Coins

After the fifth completed streak, you will get a bag that yields one Diamond. using Step 4 above, once you reload (and CHECKPOINT DANGIT!)...you can earn another diamond. You can do this constantly, however every so often it may change to a bag of 5 gold coins (only about $250, if even that). Not the fastest method but easy to set up...and you can come back to it at any point.

---

All the above works on both I, Zombie Endless and Vasebreaker Endless. Vasebreaker can be even easier...if you know the last Vase you have to smash has a zombie you can easily kill (or maybe it's even an item), checkpoint before it and you can do the whole "choose a level" thing the same way as above. However, that's pretty pointless...considering I mostly just did the following for my Vasebreaker run:

1.) Checkpoint upon starting a level.

2.) Smashed all the pots really fast just for the heck of it. Tried to remember where certain things were (paid the most attention to Squashes and Gargantaurs of course).

3.) Obviously lost and reloaded (then checkpointed). Now I took my time searching for the Squashes and Gargantaurs, planting the squashes where I found them so I could remember their locations. Then I found out where gargantaurs were...and lost. In the meantime find out what other plants/zombies are in the other pots of course.

4.) Reload the checkpoint and make a new one...use my knowledge to make victory a synch. (A good visual memory may be required ;>_>)

---

I hope this explains everything for folks! I'll make a video later, I'm going to finish up I, Zombie Endless now.

Edited by TVthePunisher

• 1 year later...

I have been searching and can't find anything. I have the Lumia 950 and all i need is IZombie, and Vasebreaker. I can make a checkpoint and go back in and continue but, I cannot lose the level, go to main menu, and get back to my checkpoint, it starts me back at level 1. I am going f'ing crazy. please shed a little light on me.

Thanks,

• 1 year later...