first time at this sort of game

mmnbbv

im about 90mins in so far and have choosen a nord

just wondering if anyone has good tips to get me started really

any swords i should find before starting quests etc (if there are some naming them would be great and i will google or youtube where to find them)

also as a nord whats the best way to play this

thanks all

and sorry if this gets asked all the time

Guest Scotty

any swords i should find before starting quests etc (if there are some naming them would be great and i will google or youtube where to find them)

thanks all

nice choice of race. nords are my favourite and my main character is a nord.

i would suggest you build your character around a warrior type playstyle. thats basically what nords are, but you can still be stealthy/magicy if you want.

as for weapons, you find better ones as you level up. so dont worry about having the best equip and i would suggest you dont look for specific weapons at such an early stage as finding a new, better weapon by chance is very satisfying.

if you do decide to play as a warrior class, first select the warrior stone. as you complete the tutorialy type, first mission and are running down the path you should have ran into them, there are three. choose which one you want out of warrior/mage/thief. this will help you level up your abilities faster in the class you choose.

for a good start, you should join one of the guilds, preferably the companions as they are the fastest and easiest to get to and doing their missions will get you a few places discovered on the map, that you can then fast travel to later on for less mindless wandering. you will also net some decent weapons doing this, especially the final weapon you get after completing the questline, which is a uniques two-handed battleaxe.

hopefully this was helpful to you. i do realize sometimes i am speaking as if im assuming you know what you are doing, but being a veteran of sorts, i find it difficult to try and give basic info, as i just want to show off how much i know:p

for extra help, here is the wiki, with everything ever...

http://www.elderscrolls.wikia.com

also, feel free to PM me with any specific questions, i will be more than happy to answer any.

I'd also advise lowering the difficulty. At least until you get your feet wet. As for tips... just play the game. I usually hold off on doing the main quest until almost the last thing I do. I like to roam around and pick up miscellaneous quests and just start working on them. Once you find Whiterun, you can literally spend the next 10 hours just working out of that city doing quests. 25 hours into the game and I had only been to Whiterun & Riften. Game is sooooo addictive.

thanks all

You need to find a chefs outfit. This is the best armor in the game.

Here's the site that I used most of the time. Lots of information. Everything you want to know is here. http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Skyrim

I'd also advise having this open in a tab at all times when playing. IMO it is much better than the wiki.

Just reading the top of the home page will tell you the people behind it are dedicated.

"The UESPWiki – Your source for The Elder Scrolls since 1995"

get your smithing to 100 early and get daedric armor

It's not about making crap loads of Iron Daggers with Smithing leveling up now, it's the biggest/most expensive items will level up quickly. But obviously that's a bit expensive, try mining ore as much as possible to save Gold!

• 1 year later...

thanks all

Oooooo, someone new trying Skyrim...... cool.

I suppose the best way to go is to suggest things I wish I'd known when I started. Does the site have enough memory for that post? No? Ok, I'll cut it down but avoid spoilers wherever possible.

- Personally I'd suggest an Imperial. Their area effect ability (Voice of the Emperor) to calm everyone you wish you hadn't accidentally hit is really useful as leaving the area for a few days and returning means (as long as you've managed to clear your bounty) they'll be friendly again.

- Choose 1 type of armour and weapon and stick to it whilst also trying to have a good mix of none-combat skills you work on too. Enchanting by deconstructing less useful magic items is ok but it's very tempting to sell them for much needed cash to begin with too and you can only de-con any magic item with any given magic effect once anyway. Therefore if you have 2 weapons with a fire damage effect try to de-con the lesser value one while selling the more valuable one.

- Be wary of out-leveling your own fighting skills (as I mentioned above with choosing 1 armour/weapon type). It's very possible to gain 2-3 levels with tasting ingredients for alchemy or making small effect potions or attempts at lock or pocket-picking that all of a sudden your enemies have strengthened to your new level and your combat skills haven't improved at all. Try to spend about the same time tinkering with learning skills as with combat skills.

- Explore!!! There's plenty of plants around to be harvested that you can either sell or make potions from that you can then sell. A good one is salt pile, juniper berries and garlic. It sounds like a disgusting mix to me but it's worth some cash as it gives a regen health and magic effect which sells well and the ingredients are common and cheap.

- The obvious one: Enjoy it. There's nothing worse than following so many suggestions that it feels more like a chore than a game. Be ready to make some mistakes, save regularly enough for any major ones not to make too much of a problem and have fun.

I tend to have 20-30 active looping saves so if I find myself inside an area I've used 5 or more saves and I'd prefer not to have started it yet I can delete the used saves and return to one I'd not yet started without losing anything else. This has saved me COUNTLESS hours and restarts over the years.

Hope any of this helps and I've not repeated too much of what others have already said.

Hope you enjoy Skyrim, I know I did. :)

It's not about making crap loads of Iron Daggers with Smithing leveling up now, it's the biggest/most expensive items will level up quickly. But obviously that's a bit expensive, try mining ore as much as possible to save Gold!

P.S. It's true this was changed but comparing cost to experience point gain I still believe (having done some testing) creating small items like iron daggers still gives a much better (though reduced) return on a cost-to-return basis. More valuable items do give more but if they give 10 times more experience they cost 15 times more to make.

Edited by buggss

well the weapon i have is the one you get from killing that one skeleton forget the name it' a two handed weapon and it does 10 extra fire damage i like to use that one alot it's really strong

LOL way to necro a thread, I never even looked at the OP and just saw the gap between your post and the previous one.