Bethsoft, please learn!

cbssi

I'm sick of this DLC fad. I don't want 5 3-hour forays into odd areas, I want 1 or 2 8-hours forays into a huge mass of land. Shivering Isles and Bloodmoon were expansions done right! Learn from Oblivion! Release these little DLC packs, but don't forget about large expansion packs, either! Who agrees?

I'm sick of this DLC fad. I don't want 5 3-hour forays into odd areas, I want 1 or 2 8-hours forays into a huge mass of land. Shivering Isles and Bloodmoon were expansions done right! Learn from Oblivion! Release these little DLC packs, but don't forget about large expansion packs, either! Who agrees?

First off their name is "Bethesda".

Second off i do not agree because i love what their doing because it adds more variety.

As the above poster said, price can really affect people's decisions.

You may get a huge awesome DLC pack, but it will cost 2400msp.

People are actually more likely to buy several smaller packs at 800 a piece, thinking, "hey this is a decent price."

Next thing you know, you bought 5 DLC packs for $50.

It's simple marketing.

I am fairly certain he is making fun of/ satirically commenting on Bethesda and Microsoft together because of their agreements for having 5 DLCs of around 3 hours of content rather than having 2 long DLCs that last 8 hours in order to make more money at the expense of the devoted fans enjoyment.

Actually, they aren't "Bethesda;" they are "Bethesda Softworks, LCC." I was simply combining Bethesda and Softworks. Hence, "Bethsoft."

I am fairly certain he is making fun of/ satirically commenting on Bethesda and Microsoft together because of their agreements for having 5 DLCs of around 3 hours of content rather than having 2 long DLCs that last 8 hours in order to make more money at the expense of the devoted fans enjoyment.

Nahhhh, you're digging too deep into it. I'm not trying to criticize Bethsoft for turning into the new Microthesda (heh). I was simply adding an abbreviated wordplay in order to shorten the time and space needed to type the title of the thread. Apparently nobody caught on. The thread wasn't meant to accuse them of being money-hungry, or trying to "cheat" the fans with business decisions. It's simply about me missing large add-ons, and getting sick and tired of short add-ons replacing them. I would rather spend $30 once to play for 8-15 hours at once than spend $10 every month to play for 2 hours at a time every few months. Plus, bigger add-ons mean more time to flesh out the story, something these recent three add-ons have done a poor job of. It also allows for more content to be added at once. Overall, expansion packs give me more short- and long-term pleasure than short add-ons. I play them longer, and more often than the short add-ons. I understand business decisions, but I just wanted to see who agreed. Full-on expansion packs are rare as of late.

Honestly, I'm not having a problem with their DLC plan so far. Sure, huge expansions are nice, but they come with a higher price and longer development cycle. I'd rather have more frequent updates for a smaller price than one massive one that takes 6-8 months to develop for more money.

I figured Bethsoft was something to do with Microsoft

Actually, this one comes straight from Bethesda. Their corporate website is http://www.bethsoft.com and it's been a kind of unofficial nickname for years.

have you tried posting this little bitching thing over at bethseda's forums? they do somewhat monitor what's posted there, and i highly doubt, they comb the net to look for people pissing about the way they distribute the content.

plus shivering isles = 2400 MSP right? hmmm OA 800, Pitt, 800 = 1600, plus Broken Steel, 800....that's 2400 MSP, same price, OA + Pitt + BS = over 8hr additional/continued story line.

I'm also curious how you think they'll learn something from a game they made, perhaps this way seems more marketable since not everyone wants to drop 2400 points for huge DLC, they might not be able to justify it, but 800 every few months won't hit the brain the same as holy shit that's 2400 points!

Edited by Glowin Smurff

^You realize you can go to your previous post and just click Edit instead of making another post.

Anyways I like what Bethesda/Bethsoft/Bethesda Softworks is doing. It keeps you hooked to the game and their releasing them during the "game drought".

With all the new releases coming out in 6 months, releasing the DLC then would be quite foolish ;)

Edit: Talking to Tp, not you Smurff :)

^You realize you can go to your previous post and just click Edit instead of making another post.

Anyways I like what Bethesda/Bethsoft/Bethesda Softworks is doing. It keeps you hooked to the game and their releasing them during the "game drought".

With all the new releases coming out in 6 months, releasing the DLC then would be quite foolish ;)

Edit: Talking to Tp, not you Smurff :)

i know, i ninja'd you.

have you tried posting this little bitching thing over at bethseda's forums? they do somewhat monitor what's posted there, and i highly doubt, they comb the net to look for people pissing about the way they distribute the content.

plus shivering isles = 2400 MSP right? hmmm OA 800, Pitt, 800 = 1600, plus Broken Steel, 800....that's 2400 MSP, same price, OA + Pitt + BS = over 8hr additional/continued story line.

I'm also curious how you think they'll learn something from a game they made, perhaps this way seems more marketable since not everyone wants to drop 2400 points for huge DLC, they might not be able to justify it, but 800 every few months won't hit the brain the same as holy shit that's 2400 points!

I've been a member of their forums for over 2 years now, and I post my 2 cents frequently. Anyways, O:A can be finished in 45 minutes. The Pitt can be finished an an hour to 1:30. Broken Steel, excluding the level cap update, can be finished somewhere in between there. Plus, all these DLCs have are their main story arcs. Broken Steel has two side-quests, admittedly. But O:A and The Pitt both have only their main story arcs. Then they're done; no land to explore, no side quests to do, no cool armor to collect. Done. So, add that up, that's somewhere in the neighborhood of 4-5 hours of gameplay, not 8-15. I still play Shivering Isles today. I got that when it came out. I played O:A and The Pitt both once, and do I want to play them again? Not really. Maybe if they had something to do other than the main quests. But they don't. Expansions do. Therefore, Shivering Isles has wayyyyy more bang for its buck. The three add-ons don't continue the story arc of each other (therefore it's all condensed "story"), they haven't added any interesting land to explore, and they have hardly added any variety of unique gear to grab. Shivering Isles was, by far, a better use of my 2,400 points.

I sometimes call them Bethsoft because they call themselves that. Ever see their website?

Let's look at this web addy:

http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showforum=50

Hmm, bethsoft.com. I wonder who that could be?

Anyway, the OP can be annoyed with DLCs. I like them. The OP doesn't. Okay.

I like them as well, provided a large add-on can be produced as well... I would just rather have one large self-contained 8-15 high-quality venture than 5 brief self-contained 2-3 hour ventures. I really don't mind the short add-ons, I'm just distraught at the absence of large ones. I mean, it's all fine and good, but wouldn't you rather get one large add-on that had a high-quality storyline with many ways to replay that lasted 8-15 hours, rather than these short 2-3 hour ones that can generally only be played in one way, and have little replay value? I know I would. I've also noticed story telling and quests are a lot more fleshed out in the bigger installments, rather than the little ones, where they have to try and cram in a self-contained storyline. The Pitt is a great example of short DLC storytelling gone wrong. I mean, they're essentially selling quests. That's not wrong, I just want a conventional and substantial add-on that I can play for longer than 2 hours, that has some actual areas to explore, that can actually tell a story.

So, what's the point of this thread? That the author needs a blog?

Thank you for contributing, I really appreciate it. For the record, a blog is a writer recollecting thoughts or feelings, etc, and telling them to the reader. This isn't that. This is me trying to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of short add-ons in contrast to large add-ons, and trying to get other users to discuss this.

I love Oblivion and the DLC content. I also love Fallout 3 and the DLC content. I don't care how they release them as long as I get to play them with new content. I hope they keep up the great work. Does anyone wonder how rich they must be. They made two different games of the year. Both games are the sh*t and sold tons of copies. I wish I was them!

Haven't posted in a day or so so.... ;)

I actually quite like having the smaller, more frequent game additions and I don't hesitate spending $5-$10 (AU) on a small update whereas $30 for a larger update would give me pause as I can get most games over a few months old for that so it becomes new game vs update.

That said I would buy almost anything for Fallout 3 and love it!

The constant updates keep me going back to the game as well which is nice.

Thank you for contributing, I really appreciate it. For the record, a blog is a writer recollecting thoughts or feelings, etc, and telling them to the reader. This isn't that. This is me trying to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of short add-ons in contrast to large add-ons, and trying to get other users to discuss this.

You're welcome. You still want the 15+ hours of content, you're still going to pay the same price (2400 for Shivering Isles vs 2400 for Fallout 3 DLC packs total), you're sick of this "fad" but yet you'll still play, and the company is under zero obligation to provide any further content to you the player. You're splitting hairs.

OFF TOPIC: Why is there so much hate in this thread? When I came into this thread I assumed it was going to be a bitchy rant but this is not rant at all. He has a legit point here and is trying to get a discussion going.

ON TOPIC: Its really just a matter of opinion, I have no problem with how they are doing things now. I think OA was a weak DLC and should have cost 400 points but still, I am happy that my favorite game is still keeping my attention. I also enjoyed the Pitt a lot because I live in Pittsburgh and am downtown daily so it was pretty sweet walking across that bridge (once i was in town i didnt recognize a thing). So I am enjoying the different locations and different situations that the small DLC packs bring. I do really want a large pack, and I would be willing to pay for anything they throw up onto the marketplace. No complaints here.