Omerta review by OXM

O0mix0O

I agree with basically everything in that review.

It's a pity really... was expecting something pretty good and got something that was just a major disapointment. Glad I just rented it.

Thought something was up when the install was only ~850mb lol

Oh well... back to XCOM.

• 2 weeks later...
Well....damn...I had high hopes for this game. Still, I might rent it, just because it costs so little for me to do so.

I had no real expectations for this game -- other than LOVING the Tropico series. I found Port Royale to be addicting (for me) but really not a good game, just a genre I really like...

So I figured Omerta would probably be somewhere in the middle - and it pretty much is. You can see potential, but they must not have had the time/resources to put everything into this. It's fun, more so if you like the setting but it's really lacking the depth that you need for this genre.

I'd say grab for $20 - or rent if you can (I don't have a rental joint within 100 miles that'd carry this game).

Hopefully they do a sequel - because there's definitely 'something' here...they just didn't fully realize it.

I think NumbThumb is right on. Being a huge fan of the Tropico series and also having recently fell in love with Port Royale I was really expecting a good time with this game and quiet frankly, it didn't disappoint. Knowing it was made by Haemimont games and published by Kalypso I never thought it'd be as polished as XCOM so I wasn't disappointed. I think you could make a better argument for this game if it were $40 instead of $50 but even so I've really been enjoying it. I think the reviewer at OXM either is not into this genre at all or is just trying to beat it up. When he says "And how exactly does a pizza parlour make people afraid of you? What the hell is on those pizzas?" it shows that he's not paying attention. Its not really a pizza parlor.

This game is not the prettiest, it has some serious (but funny) typos and the music tends to skip. But if you like these types of strategy games, especially one about gangsters and prohibition era Atlantic City, then I think its definitely worth a shot.