What state in the US has the...

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway, it beats Ohio. Holy shit, if anything ever made me miss my home, it's Ohio. I'll take the high taxes, if I can have the generally tolerable public and people that know how to drive back. I always heard the stereotype that Los Angeles has shitty drivers, but then I come out to the mid-west (I don't know why they call it that, it's pretty fucking far east) and these dudes are swerving around in the fucking snow, rear ending people when it's just the two of them on the road, and turning left on red lights.

True Mid-Westerners feel the same way about the thing I bolded. It's just another example of the East Coast media bias. Everything between the Appalachians and the Rockies is the Mid-West.

Because Guinness is actually relatively hard to get hold of on mainland europe and when you do find it it's about 2.55eur a bottle. In contrast, a crate of grolsch (24 bottles) costs about 10eur. therefore Guinness was left out, as at 2.55 a F*****G bottle ist should be good :p

Oh, and it's not just budweiser thats crap. Its ALL american beer.

Fair enough, and agreed. I can down most of the American beer but that wouldn't be my first choice. (But since it's cheaper, if I'm on a tight budget, well =\)

Anyway, it beats Ohio. Holy shit, if anything ever made me miss my home, it's Ohio. I'll take the high taxes, if I can have the generally tolerable public and people that know how to drive back. I always heard the stereotype that Los Angeles has shitty drivers, but then I come out to the mid-west (I don't know why they call it that, it's pretty fucking far east) and these dudes are swerving around in the fucking snow, rear ending people when it's just the two of them on the road, and turning left on red lights.

I do agree, we have some terrible drivers. Tailgating, passing in the center turning lane, speeding, etc. Have a road here that is actively patrolled by the police of the two major cities it is between, the state highway patrol, and the sheriff. Every day you will see somebody pulled over.

Weather wise if you just want Sunshine got to Arizona, Florida, California, Nevada, Some parts of Texas, maybe Hawaii. As for woman, Southern Cali has attractive ones, some can be found in isolated parts of Florida, some in Hawaii, but a lot of them tend to be tourist. It really depends though for the most part on what type of weather a person likes, or what they find attractive.

I live in Washington, and here the weather does what it wants, when it wants to, and for how ever long it wants to. Today it was like 65 and sunny, by Monday we will most likely have rain. As for females good luck finding one up here with a natural tan, fake and bake is what you'll find. Most people suffer from vitamin D deficiency here. Other wise it's a great place to live, no insect problems, no crazy natural disasters, highest minimum wage in US, plenty of outdoor stuff if your into it.

As for beer not 21 yet so don't know.

Weather wise if you just want Sunshine got to Arizona, Florida, California, Nevada, Some parts of Texas, maybe Hawaii. As for woman, Southern Cali has attractive ones, some can be found in isolated parts of Florida, some in Hawaii, but a lot of them tend to be tourist. It really depends though for the most part on what type of weather a person likes, or what they find attractive.

I live in Washington, and here the weather does what it wants, when it wants to, and for how ever long it wants to. Today it was like 65 and sunny, by Monday we will most likely have rain. As for females good luck finding one up here with a natural tan, fake and bake is what you'll find. Most people suffer from vitamin D deficiency here. Other wise it's a great place to live, no insect problems, no crazy natural disasters, highest minimum wage in US, plenty of outdoor stuff if your into it.

As for beer not 21 yet so don't know.

Sounds nice (Washington) but I really hate rain, Gothenburg has weird weather too, up and down all week.

The beer part, don't u guys drink beer until you're 21??

The beer part, don't u guys drink beer until you're 21??

Despite what some may think the legal drinking age is a state by state issue. Though all states (I think) have now gone to 21 because the Federal government linked federal highway aid money to the drinking age. That is why Louisiana had, by far, the worst roads in the country for the longest time, they were the last state to move the drinking age from 18 to 21.

Despite what some may think the legal drinking age is a state by state issue. Though all states (I think) have now gone to 21 because the Federal government linked federal highway aid money to the drinking age. That is why Louisiana had, by far, the worst roads in the country for the longest time, they were the last state to move the drinking age from 18 to 21.

Wow, that seems uh sadistic. And a bit simplistic laying a direct link between booze and the (structually I guess?) worst roads.....

lulz...says the guy from Indiana.

I'm from Wilton, Connecticut though. The accents here in indiana aren't that bad besides the ghetto hillbillies and slang terms like warsh annoying me. The kentucky ones are a lot worse.

Females with the boston accents are annoying and the males with it sound like aholes no matter how they say anything. At least its not that Minnesota accent. I think I'd have to off myself don't 'cha know.

Edited by sleepydumbdude

Wow, that seems uh sadistic. And a bit simplistic laying a direct link between booze and the (structually I guess?) worst roads.....

Well the vast majority of infrastructure type spending is entirely dependent on state revenue. The Federal government gives aid for that kind of stuff here and there. Often when the federal government does provide aid for certain things they attach little requirements here and there.

Public schools are a perfect case. The vast majority of revenue for a public school comes from property tax revenue in district. However, there are federal programs that give some aid. However, to receive that aid the school district has to meet certain requirements (this is all part of the "no child left behind" programs).

The majority of the inter-state highway system was built with Federal money during the Eisenhower administration as part of the Federal Aid Highway Act of 1956. Hence why our interstate road system is officially known as the Dwight D. Eisenhower National System of Interstate and Defense Highways.

The National Minimum Age Drinking Act of 1984 was actually done as an addition to the Federal Aid Highway Act and stated that any state with an age under 21 as the minimum drinking age would be subjected to a decrease of 10% to its annual federal highway apportionment. In most states they only made it so that PURCHASING alcohol under the age of 21 is illegal. Many states have laws that allow consumption of alcohol under the age of 21 dependent on situation/supervision.

The reason the Federal Government has to link these things to stuff like aid to roads has to do with the Constitution. The federal government has to respect the sovereignty of the states up to certain points and as such Congress can only do things that fall within their "enumerated" Constitutional powers (Article I). One of the provisos in the Constitution that often gives the federal government carte blanche is something known as the "Commerce Clause" of Article I, Section 8. It allows the Congress the power to regulate commerce with foreign governments and among the states. So often the federal government will try to link something they are doing to interstate commerce to make it Constitutionally legal (that is what the Government is trying to do with current federal health-care acts to get the Supreme Court to approve them). The inter-state roadways are a major part of interstate commerce so by linking the National Minimum Drinking Age act to the roadways they have linked it to the commerce clause and protected it from being struck down as unconstitutional.

Bringing this back on topic somewhat, something the OP needs to understand if he wants to move to this country is that the Federal government really isn't that powerful (this is something that an incredibly large % of Americans don't realize). This ridiculously stupid thing that we do by hyper-focusing on a relatively unimportant election like the Presidential election while basically ignoring local elections is absolutely mind-boggling. Federal Senators and Congressman have more power to effect your daily life then the President and local/state representatives have vastly more impact on your daily life then those federal representatives. The vast majority of things that are going to effect your daily life are based off of politics done on the State and Local levels. So in researching where you may want to move you really should look into the political environment of the area.

Edited by bigbear.

Bitch Please :)

http://www.blik-op-blik.nl/nederland-grolsch_het_kanon.gif

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=grolsch+kanon+can&um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&biw=1876&bih=980&tbm=isch&tbnid=vEKhFlxxIjZiEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.blik-op-blik.nl/nieuwsarchief_nl.htm&docid=1wdcV71An2WodM&imgurl=http://www.blik-op-blik.nl/nederland-grolsch_het_kanon.gif&w=200&h=535&ei=jsi_T_r6E-ek0QXMuYyYCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=169&vpy=72&dur=11188&hovh=367&hovw=137&tx=103&ty=187&sig=101067585815164995826&page=1&tbnh=153&tbnw=57&start=0&ndsp=51&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=grolsch+kanon+can&um=1&hl=en&newwindow=1&biw=1876&bih=980&tbm=isch&tbnid=vEKhFlxxIjZiEM:&imgrefurl=http://www.blik-op-blik.nl/nieuwsarchief_nl.htm&docid=1wdcV71An2WodM&imgurl=http://www.blik-op-blik.nl/nederland-grolsch_het_kanon.gif&w=200&h=535&ei=jsi_T_r6E-ek0QXMuYyYCg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=169&vpy=72&dur=11188&hovh=367&hovw=137&tx=103&ty=187&sig=101067585815164995826&page=1&tbnh=153&tbnw=57&start=0&ndsp=51&ved=1t:429,r:0,s:0,i:69

Now available in a 3/4L can for the grand total of............. 1.99eur.

Drink responisbly kiddo's :p

Where the hell do I sign up L

North Carolina is pretty nice, You got a beaches, mountains, cities, etc. Beer is just the same as the rest of America, Good looking girls especially around Wilmington and Charlotte areas. Weather is pretty nice in my summer 80's but can get up into 90's. Winters get about 30-40 degrees on average in Charlotte. Overall its probably one of the best states in America.

So I would say best places would be, North Carolina, Florida, California (Lots of spanish people there though :mad:, and lots of gays), Hawaii is nice but super expensive since everything in imported.

Chicks: Texas and California

Beer: Texas

Weather: California

For the record, I've lived in Virginia, West Virginia, Missouri, Illinois, Texas, and California, visited Pennsylvania and Oklahoma a ton, so I kinda have an open mind on this one.

--Claims to have open mind.

--Only cites two states for 3 categories.

Can't explain that. :p

California (Lots of spanish people there though :mad:, and lots of gays)

Wow, I've been a So Cal native for 31 years now, and haven't run into that many Spanish folk. That's news to me. If I run into any, I'll be sure to pass along that great big ol' frowny face, though!

And don't worry, the gays don't attack unless you threaten their young.

Not a state.

North Carolina is pretty sweet. Live in the middle and be 3 hours from the mountains and 3 hours from the beach. Pick your own weather.

We do however have a state income tax which could be a factor for some.

Still cheaper to live (and own real estate:woop:) than many other mentioned states.

After living there for almost a year, I have to agree with you. The weather is one of the main reasons why I decided to go to college there, and I must say I was not disappointed (although, this winter was warmer than usual). After I finish up with all of my schooling, I plan on living somewhere in North Carolina.

After living there for almost a year, I have to agree with you. The weather is one of the main reasons why I decided to go to college there, and I must say I was not disappointed (although, this winter was warmer than usual). After I finish up with all of my schooling, I plan on living somewhere in North Carolina.

Noooooo. What is this world coming to?:p

--Claims to have open mind.

--Only cites two states for 3 categories.

Can't explain that. :p

Beer: Well Virginia, West Virginia, Illinois, and Missouri don't have shit in terms of unique regional beer that I like. I was going to edit my post to say I love Yuengling Lager up in Philly (it's all my grandpa and I drink), but truthfully Texas (with Shiner Bock and Ziegenbock) takes the cake for beer.

Women: Are you kidding me? Oh yeah, West Virginia women take the cake... totally. Texas women are my hands-down favorite. It gets so fucking hot here in the summer all you see between May and September is short shorts and tank tops. With fantastic legs, usually accompanied by a busty chest. California women are hot as hell (the ones I saw at least, I went to USC) but annoying as hell, as well, IMO. Chicago had some great women, but still, nothing like Texas or California from my experience.

Weather: Again, are you kidding me? California (or Oregon) takes the cake for best weather in the US, hands down. Never rains, always sunny, always between 60-75 degrees, and breezy. 85 is considered "hot" there.

I dunno. After living by colleges like UT (soooo many fine ladies there) and going to a college like USC (where the 2 most represented states are California and Texas), I've grown extremely fond of California and Texas girls.

But I feel you. I mentioned all those states, but only so you didn't think "Oh this stupid motherfucker has only lived in 2 states and that's all he knows." I've been all over. Personally I would like California, filled with Texas girls, everyone with a Chicago personality, with Shiner Bock flowing freely. Sorry it wasn't West Virginia, filled with girls from Missouri, everyone with a Philly attitude, with Bud Light.