Fallout 4 Companion Affinity & Perk Guide

Brambledamble

If you reach maximum affinity with a companion, you will get a special perk. For Nick Valentine, Curie, MacCready and Cait's perk you will also have to complete an additional quest first.

Note that there is some sort of hidden "cooldown" to specific events like lockpicking or upgrading weapons/armor. Just do it once, teleport to another location, teleport back and do it again to bypass the cooldown.

Cait

Perk: Trigger Rush - Action Points regenerate faster if your Health is below 25 percent.

Increase affinity: make selfish or violent dialogue choices, drink alcohol, pick locks (dungeons & owned), pickpocket, walk around naked

Codsworth

Perk: Robot Sympathy - You receive +10 Damage Resistance against robot energy weapons.

Increase affinity: make generous or nice dialogue choices, modify weapons and armor, heal Dogmeat, deliver quest items

Curie

Perk: Combat Medic - Once per day you heal 100 Hit Points if your Health falls below 10 percent.

Increase affinity: make nice/mean/peaceful dialogue choices, heal Dogmeat, deliver quest items

Paladin Danse

Perk: Know your Enemy - You deal +20 percent more damage against Feral Ghouls, Super Mutants and Synths.

Increase affinity: make nice or violent dialogue choices, enter Power Armor, enter Vertibird, modify weapons and armor

Dogmeat

no perk

Deacon

Perk: Cloak & Dagger - You receive +40 percent Stealth Boy duration and deal +20 percent more sneak attack damage.

Increase affinity: make nice or mean dialogue choices, deliver quest items, hack terminals, heal Dogmeat, pick locks (dungeons & owned), speech success (more caps)

Hancock

Perk: Isodoped - At 250 rads or higher you get criticals 20 percent faster.

Increase affinity: make generous/peaceful/violent dialogue choices, use chems, deliver quest items

MacCready

Perk: Killshot - Headshot accuracy in VATS is increased by 20 percent.

Increase affinity: make violent dialogue choices, pick locks (owned), steal, speech success (more caps)

Piper

Perk: Gift of Gab - Receive double exp for speech success and discovering new locations.

Increase affinity: make generous or mean dialogue choices, deliver quest items, heal Dogmeat, pick locks (dungeons)

Preston Garvey

Perk: United We Stand - You deal +20 percent more damage and gain +20 Damage Resistance when facing three or more opponents.

Increase affinity: make generous/mean/peaceful dialogue choices, deliver quest items, modify weapons

Strong

Perk: Berserk - When you fall below 25 percent health, you deal +20 percent more melee weapon damage.

Increase affinity: make generous/peaceful/violent dialogue choices, eat corpses, murder non-hostiles

Nick Valentine

Perk: Close to Metal - You get one extra guess and 50 percent faster terminal cooldown when hacking.

Increase affinity: make nice or mean dialogue choices, deliver quest items, hack terminals, heal Dogmeat

X6-88

Perk: Shield Harmonics - You receive +20 Energy Resistance.

Increase affinity: make selfish or peaceful dialogue choices, enter Power Armor, hack terminals, modify weapons and armor, speech success (more caps)

Edited by Brambledamble

Nice, I maxed out Codsworth, Piper, Valentine, MacCready and Cait. Mainly because of their perks. Probably won't continue with the others, maybe Preston...maybe. Gonna hump back to Piper and dress her all day! :drool:

Did you find an easy way for Piper? I'm still dragging her around.

Hey, are the companion perks permanent or are they only active when that companion is with u? Also what would u say is the quickest and easiest companions to get perks from

They're permanent even when they leave.

Depends on your playstyle. But Piper and Cait's came extremely quick.

• 1 month later...

Note that there is some sort of hidden "cooldown" to specific events like lockpicking or upgrading weapons/armor. Just do it once, teleport to another location, teleport back and do it again to bypass the cooldown.

Much Easier just to quicksave, and then load that save back up.

Paladin Danse

Perk: Know your Enemy - You deal +20 percent more damage against Feral Ghouls, Super Mutants and Synths.

Increase affinity: make nice or violent dialogue choices, enter Power Armor, enter Vertibird, modify weapons and armor

From what I have read, it is impossible to max affinity with Paladin Danse until after you have completed the mission Blind Betrayal.

Nice! Thanks for that, I'm currently running with strong and its pissing me off how he hates one of the most useful abilities in Fallout.

Yeah he even hates the awful dogmeat exploit.

Can never bring myself to use it myself, but if your wondering what it is:

Take a small location (red rocket for example) and send all your companions there. Make Dogmeat your companion.

Go to red rocket and Shoot dogmeat until he falls down.

Use Stimpack on Dogmeat.

Quicksave, load and repeat.

Yeah he even hates the awful dogmeat exploit.

Can never bring myself to use it myself, but if your wondering what it is:

Take a small location (red rocket for example) and send all your companions there. Make Dogmeat your companion.

Go to red rocket and Shoot dogmeat until he falls down.

Use Stimpack on Dogmeat.

Quicksave, load and repeat.

Hahahaha! geez I have officially been playing too much Fallout 4 if I have missed all these exploits.

For some of the companions is says you can increase their affinity by donating items. Not that it is a big deal, but does anyone know what that means? I have been in a couple of churches (like the Diamond City church) and don't see any donate option. I am just not sure what this is or how to do it.

Pretty sure its referring to random encounters (though I honestly don't know for sure).

Every now and then you will run into someone who wants water, or radaway, or possibly something else.

Edited by SpinelesS

• 2 months later...