Game freezes... cannot advance in main story!

On my PoD playthrough, while fighting Zobek, when I use mist to get to him at the very end of the fight, the game freezes and I can't do shit. When I restart the console, I must do the whole fight over (I tried twice so far, and it did it twice).

Anyone has this same problem?

Maybe it's because I'm skipping all the cutscenes? I'll try without skipping anything and I'll get back to you.

Edit: So I tried a third time and didn't skip any cutscene and it worked. I don't know what was the problem.

Edited by ParoXysm QC

Thank god it worked glad it worked out for, I can only imagine how annoying it was.

was you game installed to HDD or were you running it off disc out of curiousity?

It was installed on my HDD. I thought about uninstalling it, but decided to try not skipping any cutscene first.

And yes it was pretty annoying, at least Zobek isn't the hardest boss :)

Don't ever do this. It's the worst suggestion in the history of ever. The only reason people suggest it is because it's part of microsoft's generic "do this, this, and this" routine. It never works. Because it's never the source of the problem.

The way you said that reminds me the multiple times I called Xbox to resolve a problem and they couldn't do shit... I'll keep your advice in mind :)

• 3 weeks later...

Help!

Oh my god - this is happening to me and nothing i do will get me passed the final bit where Zobek goes on his knees. It just freezes. I don't have the game installed, and I haven't skipped any cut scenes. This is driving me utterly insane - i have struggled to get through the Prince of Darkness difficulty and can honestly say i can't face playing through it again! HELP - before i go clinically insane!!

Would it be worth restarting the mission - I have done it once before when i ran into a problem with no resources?

Will take any suggestions at this point! Sometimes it doesn't even get to the bit where Zobek puts up the barrier for you to mist through. It freezes as it goes into the cutscene! Utterly hacked off with this

Edited by braniac1972
Spelling lol

Help!

Oh my god - this is happening to me and nothing i do will get me passed the final bit where Zobek goes on his knees. It just freezes. I don't have the game installed, and I haven't skipped any cut scenes. This is driving me utterly insane - i have struggled to get through the Prince of Darkness difficulty and can honestly say i can't face playing through it again! HELP - before i go clinically insane!!

Would it be worth restarting the mission - I have done it once before when i ran into a problem with no resources?

Will take any suggestions at this point! Sometimes it doesn't even get to the bit where Zobek puts up the barrier for you to mist through. It freezes as it goes into the cutscene! Utterly hacked off with this

So what I did was to:

First: not skip the cutscene

Second: wait a few seconds before going in mist mode.

Third: go super slow in Zobek's vortex.

Good luck!

I have had a couple of cutscene freeze problems, and I have solved all of them by doing this. First, I would make sure your disc is as clean as can be (I am sure it is already, but you never know, even a tiny smudge can mess up your day). Second, after you know that your disc is clean, I would install the game if you have the Hard Drive space (the game even recommends that you install it for a better experience). After the disc is clean and the game installed, start the game.

Now, this is what I did to fix my freezing issues. Go into your Configuration (inside the game, not on the XBox System itself), and turn the Gamma down all the way along with turning off the Subtitles (if they aren't off already). Now try to play through the part that normally freezes.

I was just messing with settings when I couldn't get past a certain part and doing what I just said worked for me. When I got to another cutscene freeze, (I knew the disc was clean and installed) I just lowered the Gamma and cut off the Subtitles, and the game started working again. After which I put the settings back to where they were and the game continued without further problems.

Maybe this will help you as well. I hope it does anyway :).

Hey Guys

FINALLY got through the Zobek fight - and amazingly my controller is still in one piece!

I tried the strategies that both paroxysm QC and cowboybbp1 (thanks very much for those tips!) but neither seemed to work for me. I had not skipped cutscenes, had all the options turned down low/off, and was just about to install the game on my hard drive when i thought the issue might be the final sequence where Zobek puts up his barrier that you have to mist through. So, in a last ditch attempt I got to that part, and DIDN'T go through. I let him heal and then fought him down again - and this time it worked straight away - no freezing. So it sounds to me like any of the tips that are on here COULD work but it is down to luck more than anything which is pretty poor.

What bugs me more than anything is that this happened on my normal playthrough too and feels like a game-breaking glitch. I am glad i got through it but hope no-one has to waste 20+ attempts at getting through!

But thanks for the quick response from paroxysm QC and cowboybbp1 . I was at the point of snapping the disc - but they gave me a sliver of hope, and now i can carry on to try and complete this game.

Well, even though my advice was worthless, I am glad you got through it :). Like I said before, I know how you were feeling. I had similar issues with the Gorgon Sisters cutscenes (both in the regular game AND the DLC).

Funny thing though.

I was playing the DLC again yesterday (I had to delete my save file and start over because my Art Dealer achievement didn't pop the first time I played, and since I already had 100% of the Art, I had to way to get it to pop without creating a new save and starting all over), and when I got to the Gorgon Sisters part where they insult you for trying to steal the Chaos Power from them, my game froze again. This time when I reset, I wanted to see what I was doing to make the game unfreeze, so I didn't mess with any of the settings except turning down my Gamma and turning off the subtitles. This worked on the first try.

I don't know why that seems to work for me (or why I have to do it at that one part), but I am surprised at how many people are running into game freezing issues (and all at different parts of the game too!).

Anyway, congrats again for making it through :). I don't know if you have played the DLC yet, but if you get to the part with the Gorgon Sisters and have the same freeze I did, remember my method :).

Thanks for the heads up on the DLC - played through it once and no issues, but there is still the Prince of Darkness difficulty to have a go at..... not looking forward to the final boss fight! I am not enjoying the Kleidos Challenges on Prince of Darkness difficulty in the main game either - they are seriously tough/annoying!

when I got to the Gorgon Sisters part where they insult you for trying to steal the Chaos Power from them,

That wasn't the Gorgons. That was the blood (curse) of Dracula. The statue of them was just that, a statue.

But for future reference, people. This isn't a thread marked for spoilers. Try to keep them to a minimum.

• 3 months later...

I had the same problem and I did everything that was suggested here and nothing worked so what I did was let him heal once and I let myself get shocked by his green lightning beam, after that the cutscenes didn't freeze.

The other SIX times when the cutscenes froze and I had to restart my Xbox, I didn't get hit at all by that beam, hope this helps.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I'm getting the error where during the cutscenes, the audio starts buzzing then the game freezes. I actually had to just skip every cutscene and it seemed to work.

Having the same issues with the second castle area with the 3 sisters and the Chaos Claws. Can't get past it without skipping the cutscenes. Guess I'll just have to watch it on YouTube :(