Well... It's pretty awful

mcookman

I thought the same thing when I started but it's not bad, not brilliant but playable.

Beat the first boss so put a bit of time into it. You just need to learn where enemies are, how to make certain jumps, and keeping as much of your equipment as possible helps.

I'll play more.

what game you guys talking about

Well, you are in the forums for Volgarr the Viking. :confused:

Seems like an NES game without the lives system. Which is fine by me. Brings me back to the days of playing Mega Man when you had to memorize the levels through trial and error.

Glad they ditched lives in favor of checkpoints. Much better than having to restart every time.

i like these games because it gives the younger generation an idea of what we were playing as kids, but when they make em hard for the sake of hard i dont think thats right, i think they should just be enjoyable, though tbf most of the younger generation will think this is poor anyways because it doesnt involve sittting in a corner camping with claymores...

this game is ok, yes it should be free, i cant imagine paying for a game like this these days, though i dont think its GwG caliber, i think the bar should be set a little higher

It reminds me of an arcade game from the 80's called Rastan. It was also on the SEGA Master System, which is the version I played when I was a kid.

But yeah, it's unforgiving and I can see why younger gamers who have grown accustomed to checkpoints, autosaves and other assorted hand-holding in today's games would dismiss it as garbage.

It reminds me of an arcade game from the 80's called Rastan. It was also on the SEGA Master System, which is the version I played when I was a kid.

It is based on Rastan. I loved Rastan as a kid, played the arcade version regularly. Tried the Master System version but had already been spoilt by the arcade, so didn't enjoy it as much.

I like the game, it is very tough. I would have paid for it as I've been waiting for it to be released, so the fact it is free is better. Haven't spent too much time on it yet as I've got a few others to finish off first.

So played through the 1st level and beat the 1st boss. It wasn't so bad. Did take me a bit of time to learn it though.

1st bit of advice. Press the menu button. Go to Options, Settings. click "use look ahead as a toggle" to on. Your look ahead button is LT or LB. This will give you a much farther view so you can see things a lot farther away. This helps plan your attacks and strategies. Matter of fact, go into the controls too and look at what all the buttons do. Change them to suit your needs if needed.

Be patient. If you are going to be rushing through the game, you are going to die, a lot and quickly. This is a game about learning from your mistakes and using your brain.

Use your shield. It can block most melee attacks from enemies. At least so far from my experience in level 1.

Use your spear. You can charge it and kill multiple enemies. Jump and spear to shoot the bees from a distance. Spear then melee the enemies that take 2 hits if you want, but use the spear from a mid distance first.

Roll. You can roll past enemies if needed. I don't do this often but it's a quick get away that could be useful.

I can see some of the new gamers not liking this game b/c it is hard. If you grew up in the NES or Genesis days like me, these type of games were common. Aren't you glad games evolved into something more forgiving with checkpoints and multiple lives? Enjoy your easy games. But if you want a challenge and to test how much of a true gamer you are... I challenge you to quit your whining and make it past the first boss in this game.

Edited by DarqStalker

" All these new gamers won't like it because x,y and fucking z* Gaming has evolved to become more accessible you don't like it fuck off back to your fucking snes you geriatric fucks.

Christ on a fucking bike they should be releasing some smooth looking games yet we get this retro fucking pixilated shite. I'm fucking sick of the sight of retro games on current gen.

its not even the difficulty. its not that the game has no lives or what ever i dont care about that. i liked ninja gaiden on the nes, i remember playing nes snes etc as a kid sure they were great back then but this is now. we are almost in 2015 if i want to play these games i will pick up my psp which has a bunch of emulators on it

im not even complaining that this game is free im just wondering why the hell games like this are even coming out on xbox one

" All these new gamers won't like it because x,y and fucking z* Gaming has evolved to become more accessible you don't like it fuck off back to your fucking snes you geriatric fucks.

Well my 9 year old son has just beaten the first boss, so it ain't just the geriatrics here who play it. He loves the game, said it is addictive. He died over and over but simply learnt what he needed to do and has done it before I have. He was playing Shadow of Mordor before he tried Volgarr.

Edited by Menion Leah

im not even complaining that this game is free im just wondering why the hell games like this are even coming out on xbox one

The Xbox One promotes indie games with their id@xbox program. This is why these games are coming out. It's these new developers that want to put out their games. I know only a niche group of people will enjoy these types of games, and it is those that these type of games are meant for.

The Xbox One promotes indie games with their id@xbox program. This is why these games are coming out. It's these new developers that want to put out their games. I know only a niche group of people will enjoy these types of games, and it is those that these type of games are meant for.

oryt fair enough. well at least someones enjoying them

I have to agree, this game is awful. I admit I was tired when I tried it, but taking almost and hour to make NO progress is not "hard". It's ridiculous. I may not be the best at games, but I'm not THAT bad...

EDIT: I want to add, I don't mind retro games. But I'm curious what games people played on the NES/SNES that this game seems to be like. Ninja Gaiden aside, I don't recall any this bad. Even mega man had checkpoints, lives and passcodes.

Edited by Card Dreamer

If you're a fan of hard memorization platformers like 1001 Spikes, you'll like Volgarr. It reminds me a lot of Ghosts n' Goblins, where you can only take 1 or 2 hits before taking a dirt nap. I'm really enjoying it as a freebie, but I don't think I'd actually pay for it. I can see it being a fun game to watch someone stream though.

My problem with it is that it's trying to be EXACTLY like the old school games which were riddled with all kinds of game play issues and flaws due to games and gaming technology being new and inexperienced.

Even if you were able to control your jumping it would make a world of difference.

My problem with it is that it's trying to be EXACTLY like the old school games which were riddled with all kinds of game play issues and flaws due to games and gaming technology being new and inexperienced.

Even if you were able to control your jumping it would make a world of difference.

There is a reason why the controls are like that. You are an unstoppable killing machine if you master the controls. The controls are limited for the enemies too, the developers meant them to be like that. You are just too narrowminded to understand how awesome the game is with these controls.

There is a reason why the controls are like that. You are an unstoppable killing machine if you master the controls. The controls are limited for the enemies too, the developers meant them to be like that. You are just too narrowminded to understand how awesome the game is with these controls.

This guy gets it. The fact that the level design is built around the jumping is awesome, very much like darks souls in that respect.

I think what a lot of people don't understand is while this is based on older games like ghosts and goblins and its very unforgiving. Its not unfair like olders games. In this game if you die its your fault.

For the people saying its unnecessarily hard, its not. Destiny is unnecessarily hard with its bullet sponge enemies.