2 Xbox One's - Multiple Headaches

scott_20uk

Hey guys, wonder if anybody on here can help me as the official Xbox forum hasn't got a clue.

I have 2 Xbox One's, and the problem is when they are BOTH playing a game it will trip my internet out, by this i mean i have to fully restart my router with a power cycle for the internet to work.

When the Xbox's are off or theres just ONE on then there is no issues, with my internet and for most its very stable.

I have made maybe 20+ phone calls to BT since Jan, and they have even sent an engineer to my house and the exchange and all tests they are able to do all came back fine.

But when you start talking to them about Xbox One, you may aswell start talking to a 1 year old. They dont have a clue and just say contact MS. Which when i did via twitter i was told my internet speeds were the problem and when i posted on the forum i didnt get a reply.

So heres some bits

BT HOME HUB 3.0

5.12 D/L

0.36 Up

47ms Ping.

Xbox Ones are both on OPEN network.

Internet connection drops completely until i power cycle the router then any device can reconnect to the internet.

So guys? Anybody got any ideas?

I cant offer too much in the way of help but i have also had major problems with bt and their hubs, i have my One connected via ethernet but whenever someone else in the house watches a video, tv etc on a wireless connection it just dies. I have spoken with bt but they are all but useless and keep sending me out a new hub3 but after a bit of digging around it looks like the actual hub is rubbish for managing multiple devices ( or just about anything! ) . So it might be worth looking at buying a new router to replace the bt hub, a friend of mine said it made a world of difference and i think i will keep an eye out for a new one come payday.

BossKeloid666 funny you should say that, i am on my 3rd HH3 since Jan, but they refuse to send me the new HH4 and demand i pay a 'special cut price' of £32.99 for the hub4.

I simply wont pay for the Hub4 when they are dishing them out left right and center to new customers.

I have toyed with the idea of getting a new router and seeing if theres an improvement, i just dont want to buy the router and the problem is still there and then i cant take the router back for a refund.

I don't have a problem as such with multiple people using the connection when its just 1 of the Xbox One's on, the problem always seems to start when they are BOTH on and playing online together (ie both on CoD or Forza) Then my internet will disconnect and EVERY device in the house will not be able to use the internet until i power cycle the hub3 then everybody can connect again.

Looks like short of saying im going to leave BT unless they supply a working router. I shall maybe have to dig into the pocket and get a router that will do the job!

This is odd. Because recently my internet has been playing up too. And I started to wonder if it was my XB1 causing the problem.

Basically my connection has been dropping, and wont connect again until I reset the router. And a few times, it seemed like it only dropped when I turned my XB1 on. Although yesterday it did just randomly drop in the evening without my console being on. But nothing has connected since.

BT have been pretty useless with providing an answer so far, they have tried a couple of things, but nothing seems to be working.

I've been told to leave my router for 24 hours to make sure everything is back up and running, so will update later on today to let you know if that sorted it.

I don't think the BT people on the helpdesk are too knowledgeable though, because one guy ran some tests, and said everything was fine. It then went down about 10 minutes later, so I called back, and they said they found a line fault. So either they don't know what they are doing, or just cant be bothered to sort it properly...

Well im glad im not the only one with this problem.

BT are useless when it comes to knowledge of Xbox One, and all they say is we don't deal with them, or some other excuse (Mainly because the info they read from 85% of the time is all troubleshooting guides infront of them)

I have had them doing line monitoring, tests, the ''BEST'' settings for my router sent to it, 3 different routers sent to me (1 of which was faulty out the box) and an engineer come out to me and do line tests and system tests.

All of which were fine, and when i wanted to show him the internet dropping out after turning both Xbox One's on it wouldnt do it. (Sods Law)

So now after reading it isnt me with the issue im starting to think its a router issue.

I didn't actually mention my XB1 at the time, I just said I had 2 laptops 2 mobile phones and games console that were all effected.

They didn't even know how to use W8, so struggled to guide me through the screens etc... Luckily I know it quite well.

Like I said, they were doing some techy stuff at there end yesterday, and have just said to leave it for the 24 hours. I'm hoping its sorted by the time I get home.

5.12 D/L

0.36 Up

47ms Ping.

5 Mbits down and less than half a megabit up is not exactly a super-duper internet connection.

It's nearly the bare minimum of what is considered "high speed" and playing games online requires quite a large amount of bandwidth (though not actually much data) to work.

Anyone with a similar connection can testify that when just ONE console is connected to a connection such as yours and another person in the household tries to start streaming Netflix ... neither user will be happy with the results.

---

Technically, online gaming really doesn't use much data transfer over long periods of time, but it does require all the bandwidth speed it can get. There is a VERY good chance that it is just a router problem ... but as someone who once had two Xbox 360's and tried to online game with the same kind of internet connection as you have and found the results quite lacking ... I have a feeling that even with a new router you won't be happy with the working results. Especially in games like CoD where a low ping is key. Halving the bandwidth between two consoles won't mean each console ends up with a ping in the high 90's, it will most likely mean pings of 200-300ms, which makes CoD an unplayable nightmare.

I have a 50Mbit/2Mbit connection with one XBO and one X360 and when both are online gaming, we still experience fairly regular (about once every 15 min) lag spikes -- And that's with a connection that serves up roughly 5-10x the bandwidth that yours does.

---

Just saying ... a new router probably won't be the "whole solution".

DarthVex i fully understand what you are saying, i know its not great but until Fiber Optic is in my area this is my only option.

I once had 3 Xbox 360's and multiple Laptops, Tablets and phones running on a HH3 on a 2.5meg line with no dropping out or cutting out issue. Yes there was lag at times but it was still very playable. (Which was at my previous address)

Now i have double the speed and less on my connection.

I can live with lag, but i can't live with the connection dropping out and it ONLY drops out when both Xbox One's are online and playing a game.

It NEVER drops out when its just laptops, tablets, phones connected.

It ONLY drops out when the Xbox One's are both connected and online.

I'm no expert with the X1 but it sounds to me like it's something to do with the IP configuration on the HH. The router usually has a static IP but the devices connecting to it will be on DHCP. It is possible that when only running one device it will allocate an IP correctly but as soon as you start up the second device it will attempt to use that same IP before being allocated a new one. Once it conflicts it will not rectify itself, thus requiring you to restart your router.

My suggestion would be to set static addresses on all your devices. In theory if you switch off your HH, power up both your X1's and then turn on the HH then it should allocate the IP's correctly.

I'm no expert with the X1 but it sounds to me like it's something to do with the IP configuration on the HH. The router usually has a static IP but the devices connecting to it will be on DHCP. It is possible that when only running one device it will allocate an IP correctly but as soon as you start up the second device it will attempt to use that same IP before being allocated a new one. Once it conflicts it will not rectify itself, thus requiring you to restart your router.

My suggestion would be to set static addresses on all your devices. In theory if you switch off your HH, power up both your X1's and then turn on the HH then it should allocate the IP's correctly.

I think you might be right with some of that. I know that using a static IP address helps with the Strict NAT issue. I haven't actually tried it yet. Mainly because I was told not to reset my router. But that was going to be my next port of call, if its still not working.

I am also going to give this a try and see if it works for me. How is the best way to do this? I have basic knowledge but how would i go about setting statics etc.

I am also going to give this a try and see if it works for me. How is the best way to do this? I have basic knowledge but how would i go about setting statics etc.

I found this link for you. Just scroll down to "How to set up a Static IP address in Xbox One Console"

http://setuprouter.com/networking/setup-a-static-ip-address-on-xbox-one/

Quickest way to check the correct range without having to access your router would be to open cmd on you computer and type ipconfig. This will show you the current IP range and DNS settings that your devices on the network use.

There is a possibility that your router does not allow Static IP's. If this is the case, look at the link below and scroll down to the Home Hub 3 section

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9011/~/how-do-i-change-the-dhcp-settings-of-the-bt-home-hub%3F

Hope this helps

I found this link for you. Just scroll down to "How to set up a Static IP address in Xbox One Console"

http://setuprouter.com/networking/setup-a-static-ip-address-on-xbox-one/

Quickest way to check the correct range without having to access your router would be to open cmd on you computer and type ipconfig. This will show you the current IP range and DNS settings that your devices on the network use.

There is a possibility that your router does not allow Static IP's. If this is the case, look at the link below and scroll down to the Home Hub 3 section

http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/9011/~/how-do-i-change-the-dhcp-settings-of-the-bt-home-hub%3F

Hope this helps

You're a superstar, i will get onto this and see what i can do. Fingers crossed it works, and im able to sort it and if so i owe you a beer!

Hey guys, wonder if anybody on here can help me as the official Xbox forum hasn't got a clue.

I have 2 Xbox One's, and the problem is when they are BOTH playing a game it will trip my internet out, by this i mean i have to fully restart my router with a power cycle for the internet to work.

So guys? Anybody got any ideas?

My internet has been doing the same ever since I got a xbone about 2 weeks ago, I have cable internet so everytime I turn my xbox one on my cable starts glitching out and no one in the house can watch tv lol. Im sorry I cant help you out but just letting you know you arent the only one. Oh and has anyone else noticed that your xbone isnt actually off even though its supposed to be? Mine makes noises every now and then even though it has been off for hours.

My internet has been doing the same ever since I got a xbone about 2 weeks ago, I have cable internet so everytime I turn my xbox one on my cable starts glitching out and no one in the house can watch tv lol. Im sorry I cant help you out but just letting you know you arent the only one. Oh and has anyone else noticed that your xbone isnt actually off even though its supposed to be? Mine makes noises every now and then even though it has been off for hours.

The XBO has two power settings: "Always On" is default. This gives the system the ability to download updates when it's "off"/"sleeping", turn on/boot faster, accept Kinect voice commands to turn on, etc.

The other setting "Power Save" means you get a fresh boot every time you turn on the system, but it does NONE of that stuff above and it takes about 20x longer to boot up every time.

The XBO has two power settings: "Always On" is default. This gives the system the ability to download updates when it's "off"/"sleeping", turn on/boot faster, accept Kinect voice commands to turn on, etc.

The other setting "Power Save" means you get a fresh boot every time you turn on the system, but it does NONE of that stuff above and it takes about 20x longer to boot up every time.

Thanks for the info, I was wondering how it started up so quick.