Rb dlc 1/27/09

smacd

I'm not a huge Grateful Dead fan (although, like smacd, respect their influence), but lately I've been playing the same 10 or so RB tracks over and over again, and Alabama Getaway is one of them.

Should I check out the other GD tracks? Are they as fun (guitar wise) as Alabama Getaway? Recommend any songs, or the whole pack?

Regardless, one more song to add to my 'Rock Band' iTunes playlist! (up to 135 songs, and since I only listen to classic rock, that's a pretty good chunk I think) as I have Grateful Dead's American Beauty and The Best of Skeletons From The Closet, and Uncle John's Band is on TBoSFTC.

for the first GD track pack (while I'm primarily a bassist) all of the tracks are pretty good on Guitar. Most of them have Gold Star ratings at rbdlc.com. I'd recommend all of them for Guitarists or Bassists. The only one that is a little lacking is "I Need A Miracle" in my opinion.

Thanks. Just bought a bunch of Microsoft points, so I'll check 'em out.

As seems to be the general theme, this is a pass for me. I'm curious as to why The Grateful Dead's one big hit (Touch of Gray, I think) is not one of the tracks. Maybe lack of masters? If I was to get a GD track, that would probably be it.

Though the GD track on RB2 is actually pretty fun on guitar... maybe I'll check out the charts. *shrug*

Interesting. I always figured their one "big" hit was Casey Jones, since thats the only one I'd ever heard on the radio. Although they are a pretty big name band and had plenty of "hits" I'm sure.

I may be wrong (and I'm too lazy to do the simple search that would confirm my thought :p), but I believe Touch of Gray was the only GD song to ever crack the Top 10 on the Billboard charts. It peaked at number 9, if I recall reading correctly.

Since I do hail from Portland, and went to school in Eugene, I figure I should weigh in on the GD pack. Saw them twice in Eugene. Once sober. Didn't dig 'em either time. They played with Phish. I liked them more, but still felt very 'meh' about it.

Notably, I saw Tool like a week after GD in '93. That blew my mind. GD, not so much. They were/are a huge influence on the music. I respect 'em. I just won't be spending any money on 'em.

Guess I'm not as much of a liberal tree-hugger as you thought, huh Smacd? :)

Is anyone else wondering why the Grateful Dead seem to be the only band with a "big," non-album pack? (I'm counting Boston and The Who as albums in this case.)

I think I could make another big pack before another Grateful Dead one...

Edit: Just remembered the Nirvana and Roy Orbison packs, but the point still stands.

Yeah, not getting this either. Though, I've only played one song off the first GD pack (the one that was halfprice for some time... Sugar Magnolia) and it was a lot of fun.... I bet my sister will buy this pack because her husband loves Grateful Dead & then at least I'll get to play the songs and the songs from the previous pack (which she bought) next time I see her... which is who knows when. Maybe the summer.

The GD 01 pack had to be the most under-rated pack released yet because honestly, those could very well be the funnest songs I've purchased yet. When I heard the Grateful Dead was coming to RB, my instant reaction was, What the hell is this gay death metal crap. Then I previewed the songs, heard they were pretty catchy and figured, eh what the hell. I then fell in love with every song in the pack.

Some of the funnest charts for all instruments on Rock Band.

With the 02 pack however, I'm concerned because I don't see any 5, or 6 ratings on any instrument for all 6 songs, and from what I previewed the songs did not sound as catchy as the first pack originally did, but I will dl them anyway because they will probably be really fun like 01 was.

Those who are wondering where "A Touch of Grey" is, there is still one more 6 pack coming from GD with an unknown release date so there is still hope.

Those who are wondering where "A Touch of Grey" is, there is still one more 6 pack coming from GD with an unknown release date so there is still hope.

Honestly, I don't doubt this, but where did you hear about this?

Random thought: anyone think there's a chance in hell that DLC will be able to transfer over to next-gen consoles?

Random thought: anyone think there's a chance in hell that DLC will be able to transfer over to next-gen consoles?

Maybe, maybe not. I wouldn't be surprised if HMX came up with a way for us to download our songs again for free on next gen consoles (assuming there will be a next gen Rock Band. If not...I guess I'll be keeping my 360 for a while :p

Depends on how they work the marketplace (uses existing marketplace or some new one) and how they code the game on the new console. Transfering your licesne to a new box is possible now, so doing so to a next gen console is feasible if they allow for it.

They announced 18 songs from the Grateful Dead, in increments of 3 6 packs a loooong time ago. I read this on the RB forums awhile back so there isn't really anyway I could link you to it for proof but Harmonix themselves did indeed promise this.