You're lucky you don't remember. When you do... HE starts coming back

Steam Commissar

On my latest playthrough, I've been taking my time and looking around. That line from Stross was just sort of a throwaway, but I've noticed a lot of graffiti of a shadowy figure. Anyone else seen these?

Sometimes he has horns, sometimes not. I'm wondering if this is at all significant, or if I'm just jumping at... heh... Shadows.

• 2 weeks later...

It's always possible, but I don't think so. Stross seems happy to "See" his son, but he talks about this other person with dread. It would be interesting to know who else the Marker shows Stross. Why is Nicole the only one Isaac sees? More questions than answers, and only the developers can tell us more, I guess.

It's always possible, but I don't think so. Stross seems happy to "See" his son, but he talks about this other person with dread. It would be interesting to know who else the Marker shows Stross. Why is Nicole the only one Isaac sees? More questions than answers, and only the developers can tell us more, I guess.

They say what he sees in Chapter 11 if I remember correctly. You just need to find the correct audio diary.

Person mentioned in the audio diary is "Alexis", presumably his wife.

~Alexis, if you get this, I love you. I would never do anything to hurt you, or our son. After the sessions, I keep seeing you, but... you're so mad, so... angry. You're scaring me. I want you to stop. What's happening to me? Please come get me...~

Still no mention of who "He" could be, though I find it interesting that the Marker has (so far) only manifested as people who are dead.

• 1 month later...

"he" is simply stross's son. it's pretty obvious the very first time he mentions it, and later on he says something about the "he" person encouraging him to go through the steps (ie: get into the eye-poke machine), which he doesn't want to do because he thinks "she" (his wife) is in "there" (in the machine).

stross's family play the same role in his derangement that nicole plays in isaac's. the same way isaac envisions nicole encouraging him to enter the machine, stross pictures his wife and son. he usually seems happy to see the son, but becomes fearful, since his son is determined to get him back into the eye poker. he seems scared to face his wife... did he kill them both when he went insane? i'm in the beginning of my second playthrough, but i forget.

• 3 weeks later...
"he" is simply stross's son. it's pretty obvious the very first time he mentions it, and later on he says something about the "he" person encouraging him to go through the steps (ie: get into the eye-poke machine), which he doesn't want to do because he thinks "she" (his wife) is in "there" (in the machine).

stross's family play the same role in his derangement that nicole plays in isaac's. the same way isaac envisions nicole encouraging him to enter the machine, stross pictures his wife and son. he usually seems happy to see the son, but becomes fearful, since his son is determined to get him back into the eye poker. he seems scared to face his wife... did he kill them both when he went insane? i'm in the beginning of my second playthrough, but i forget.

Yeah, Daina mentioned that he killed his son and wife. Somewhere in Chapter 2/3 if I remember correctly.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Doesn't help with Stross' specific case, but if you read Dead Space: Martyr, the book hints that the dead are always trying to communicate that the Marker is dangerous. We see this obviously in the games, but the book really dives into how it affects people.

• 2 months later...