Tutorial for Grounded commendation in FF

lifeexpectancy

Ok so a couple people asked me how to grind Grounded in FF. There is no need to change your language to Korean now, and there is no reason to risk a ban using a guest controller and signing it out after finding a match. Although some people may not want to play split screen, I HIGHLY suggest this new method as it is currently THE VERY MOST vehicles per hour you can attain playing solo.

New Way --can be done on Holdout as it averages more vehicles per hour than score attack, but I suggest Beachhead and I have a file share video titled Beachhead that shows this method. The direct link for the video is HERE. I get 11 Grounded and 2 Perfectionist in 1 game solo using 2 controllers in the vid.

Caveat: This will NOT get you banned. You'll be getting at least 20-60 kills per game on your 2nd controller and there is absolutely no reason for 343i to ban you for playing FF doubles with 2 controllers as they cannot tell any difference between this and playing with an unskilled friend.

Not to mention how many AFK DICKWADS there are in FF anyway. We may as well play by ourself with 2 controllers so we at least aren't giving those tools free perfectionist progress.

1. Delete the Anniversary map pack and the other one with a FF map in it (I think Defiant) from your hard drive or move them to a flash drive and take it out. This ensures you have enough vetoes to get the map you want EVERY SINGLE GAME. Sign in a 2nd controller and play the FF doubles playlist. Veto until you get Beachhead (suggested) or Holdout (if Beachhead is too hard for you or you're just feelin' lazy).

2. Choose Holdout if you want an easier time but fewer vehicles (avg 5-7 per game) and a perfectionist or two, or Beachhead if you want to work harder but get more vehicles (avg 8-9 per game, ranging from 7 low end to 11 high end). You won't likely get many perfectionist on Beachhead however. I have gotten 12 vehicles several times and even once got 13 on beachhead playing with a friend because I was able to get to wave 5 of round 3, which is nearly impossible solo when trying to do the ghost hijack trick outlined below.

3. On Holdout, take Jetpack with your main and take rockets with controller 2 and suicide, followed by sniper and suicide, pick up rockets and sniper on your main. If you're good enough, just jetpack around with your main destroying everything in sight and snipe banshees as they fly onto the map. If you want to be safer for perfectionists, jetpack your main up onto the idler tower to snipe banshees from the railing area and use controller 2 to do all the heavy lifting vs enemies below.

4. On Beachhead, you'll want your main account to have Rockets + plasma pistol. There are 3 dropship landing points that will have a vehicle, the one to the far left in the water (ghost), the one straight out at the end of the platform (wraith), and the one to the far far right (wraith) although this last one is sometimes hard to tell if it's the right one as there's another nearby that won't have a wraith.

5. From the start on Beachhead, suicide controller two to give your main rockets. Grab them and rush straight out and jump on the mongoose and take a look about to see where the dropships are. Head for the one straight ahead if it's coming with a wraith and rocket the 8 enemies it drops, picking up a plasma pistol in your backup weapon. If this one isn't there, it's likely the one to the left in the water with the ghost will be your target. I very very rarely see the far far right dropship with a wraith during Round 1 Wave 1... dunno why.

6. During round one, EMP the wraiths, shoot the grunt off the turret with plasma pistol, emp the wraith again, and jump on the back to melee it to death to get credit. Rockets will kill the driver without giving a vehicle kill until the Mythic skull is on in round 2 and 3. Then you can just kill wraiths with rockets. I also advize EMP shotting the ghosts before shooting a rocket at them to make sure you don't miss slightly and wind up killing the driver if it's a grunt without blowing up the ghost. Once you get practiced, it's pretty easy to destroy the ghosts with a well placed rocket without bothering with the EMP shot.

7. Near the end of each wave on Beachhead if you haven't done this yet for the round (can only be done once per round with the map's parked ghost - they won't hijack the other vehicles), leave the last 4 enemies alive and get yourself in the ghost, lined up near one of the expected spawn areas, preferably with 2-3 "possible" spawn points in front of you where you can see them. Then use controller 2 to kill an enemy or 3.

8. Upon reinforcements, look for elites. If no elites fly away n park the ghost. If there are elites nearby QUICKLY move n park near them in the ghost before they start attacking. They SHOULD hijack the ghost. When they do, quickly rocket them even if it means suiciding. If they don't hijack it right way don't just sit around by them praying. Fly away and park the ghost. Clear out 16+ enemies of the wave and try to find a straggler or 2 to attempt to park near for the hijack. This won't always work and can sometimes be frustrating, but it will add between 1 and 3 vehicle kills every game once you get practiced at it. I can pretty consistently get an additional 2 using this, and sometimes a 3rd if I get to round 3 fast enough to get the 2nd or 3rd wave before time runs out.

9. Beachhead takes practice, but eventually you should be able to get all the way through rounds 1 and 2 and at least get the first wave of round 3 for a total of 10 dropships. Not every dropship will have a vehicle, but between those and allowing elites to hijack your ghost, you should be able to get to where you're getting 8+ vehicle kills almost every game. An additional benefit is that you don't have to be constantly scanning the skies for banshees before they fly off or suicide like idiots like they sometimes do on holdout.

Old way: For a quick link to the fileshare vid, click HERE. A walkthrough is below.

Note: This way isn't very goot now because the same map comes up multiple times in score attack and you can't veto enough to get hteright map every game. You're better off playing FF doubles and doing 2x attack or arcade on Holdout if you REALLY wanna do Holdout. I'll leave this method here anyway for those interested.

1. Play Score Attack

2. Veto anything that isn't Holdout and one of the 5 following gametypes: Sniper Attack, Rocket Attack, FRG Attack, 2x Attack, or Fiesta Attack. If you get holdout but not one of these 5, veto it and hope you get holdout again.

3. If you use up all your vetos with no luck, which happens but not a lot, it's up to you whether to dashboard, sign out, quit, or just play whatever you get.

4. IMPORTANT: IF you are playing 2x Attack or Fiesta Attack, you MUST use the following weapons to kill the banshees or you will NOT get credit towards grounded: Rocket Launcher, FRG, Plasma Grenade Launcher, Spartan Laser, or Sticky Grenades. If you use a turret, sniper rifle, DMR, assault rifle, focus rifle, pistol, etc you will not get credit because the 200% damage modifier tips the scales and you kill the pilot before the banshee explodes.

5. If you are playing Sniper Attack, Rocket Attack, or FRG attack feel free to use the turrets to kill the banshees. Of course in Sniper Attack it's easier to snipe them.

6. Save the Target Locator for the skirmisher and final rounds, if you can. The skirmishers have a NASTY habit of swarming you and preventing you from killing a banshee if one comes.

7. Additional tip: If you have a Sniper Rifle, Spartan Laser, or even a Target Locator you can get an additional Grounded kill by letting either a grunt or a brute get on the center turret. To do this, jetpack up to the top of the idler tower where the soft kill zone stops and stand on the railing. If you've left enough grunts/brutes alive, one will sometimes get on that center turret. Snipe or laser the TURRET not the grunt/brute, or target locate the entire area. It won't show up in your carnage report but if you check your commendation before and after the game you'll see it counts. The +10-12 credits when it dies is a sign that you did it properly. Rockets/plasma launcher/FRG don't usually work because the enemy will jump off the turret before it connects.

8. I've put a 13minute run-through in my file share so you can see the target locator on the turret method plus using jetpack and FRG to kill banshees properly in Fiesta/2x attack. It's titled Grounded Commendation Tutorial and the fileshare can be found HERE. In the video I kill 4 banshees plus the enemy occupied turret for a total of 5 Grounded and one Perfectionist in one 13 minute score attack. Of course much of the time you'll die as your primary goal in this method is the banshees, not the perfectionist. If you're too slow killing them they'll fly away so take chances!

Edited by lifeexpectancy

Wow iron I feel for you. I hope you're not planning to take it past silver or maybe gold lol or you have a loooooong road ahead. Of corset its still a long road for me too...

Hehe, not in ten years. It's my last ff commendation still missing, but I'll never really boost it. Maybe if there is a "vehiclekalypse" some day, but if not..

Dear OP,

THANK YOU.

You have saved me much hassle. I wasn't getting Grounded points for killing the banshees and I suspected that I killed the pilot before the banshee itself blew up, so I was just going for 2X on Beachhead (usually get at least one vehicle drop on the final wave, sometimes you get one ghost one wraith or two wraiths).

But the news that they DO count if you use instant kill weapons is great. I thought to use a plasma as that's what I use to blow up wraiths but sticking would be a pretty crazy feat to attempt. But thanks, I will try it now that I know it will work. And the turret trick is great too. Cheers.

You're quite welcome. I too was upset at first not getting credit for them. Partial credit for this method goes to Daraxor, a buddy of mine. He informed me he got credit for the banshee kill using a rocket launcher in 2x attack.

Using a FRG or sticky grenade isn't all that hard. After the banshee makes its initial approach and goes up to circle back, try to wait on a high point like the hill turret. It should circle back and come straight at you shooting. Jetpack up and towards it and toss your sticky at the last second, aiming just ahead of the leading tip of the cockpit, or fire your FRG/Rocket point blank without locking on if using rockets. This way works *almost* every time. Sniper attack is by far the easiest since it only has 150% dmg modifier meaning you can use the sniper rifle to kill the turret and banshees, negating the need for any fancy tactics lol.

Of course in Rocket attack and FRG attack its only 150% dmg as well, so you can use the turrets to kill banshees. Just make sure you don't rip them off their mounts since you can't pick them back up if you dismount them and drop them on the ground. If only you got a spartan laser every game of fiesta/2x attack lol life would be so much easier.

Edited by lifeexpectancy

ya major props for figuring it all out and giving a detailed map to us. hoping to finally get this to iron, lmao.

and as others put, im REALLY hoping bungie eventually adds a 'vehicleocolypse' gametype lol.

Yeah I think many of us are praying 343 will turn the campaign segment with the Sabres into a FF game somehow. It's not very likely though :-(

Edited by lifeexpectancy

has every weapon been tested for 2x ff? perhaps a plasma pistol shot or maybe a combination of a little turret fire followed by shooting the wing of the banshee, i even distroyed 1 with a charged pistol plasma round but failed to see it it counted will try again also just in case some1 dosen't know if u emp 1 an it falls of map that works

Here's a quick update/lowdown for anyone interested. My friend plays pretty much exclusively FF limited for vehicle kills, and I play exclusively score attack. I averaged out our respective vehicle kills over a few different 3-hour intervals, and he is averaging approximately 55 vehicle kills per 3 hours, whereas I'm only averaging 45. Also FF limited earns more Cr than score attack. HOWEVER, it should be noted that he destroys 90% of the vehicles in his matches b/c he has friends that let him kill all the vehicles and when he plays with randoms he beats them to the vehicles. That being said, unless you're in the same situation as him, score attack will probably be MORE efficient than FF limited for you if you're strictly worried about vehicle kills.

i started playing limited for the vehicle kills a month or so ago, but found that i usually end up with useless teamates. by the time i get a killing frenzy (a couple waves into the first round), oh what do ya know? our team has no lives left, and i died a total of 0 times.

i find it very unrewarding to watch scurbs die every wave, treating the gametype like FFarcade. meanwhile i am trying my best to stay alive, so we can last longer. i usually end up with 1 vehicle kill at most, and its kind of frusterating. maybe i just had bad luck with the 3 or 4 games i tried, but it seems most people just try to rambo a group of elites and get owned over and over.

So is Beachhead and Holdout the only 2 maps on Score Attack that have vehicles? When do they show up; towards the end? I'm 47/50 on my vehicle kills and only want 3 more. I normally only try for them in FF Arcade and well.... I can never get them before others do.

On Beachhead, I tried to get in the ghost and then jump out when Grunts are nearby but they always kill it with nades. :mad: I've never been able to get them in the ghost for an easy kill.

All the maps in score attack apart from Courtyard and Waterfront have the chance for a vehicle or two to appear on wave 5, when the dropships come in.

Holdout is different as a banshee will fly into the map every 3 mins or so. Beachead will get you at least one vehicle every time (there is only one dropship spawn which doenst drop off a vehicle)

Also make sure you are playing the gametypes with hazards on as posted previously.

If you're going to play score attack trust me, follow my guide and always play holdout. I get between 4 and 6 vehicle kills almost every game of score attack. I did 450 vehicle kills in 3 days. And yeah scrubs die a lot in limited. If you want to play limited and you have even ONE decent friend, play with them and change your language so you can play outpost, glacier, beachhead, and holdout with just the two of you to take turns on vehicle kills without having randoms use up all your lives.

unearthed is such a huge let down, there is nothing remarkable about it. sure it might be nice for kills using a vehicle but that was never that hard to do anyway. now all it is doing is decreasing my chances of getting holdout in score attack. 343 really needs to tweak the firefight playlist for more vehicle destruction opportunity. does 343 have forums they monitor where we might give suggestions?