Sabotage - why do they do it?

We have a game with cartoon characters in, it has taken months to get as far as we have.

A couple of days ago some American we'd met on another game arrived in a party asking if he could see what we'd made on Minecraft. He got invited to the game and wandered around saying how fantastic it was and asking how long it had taken to create, etc. Then he started saying "oh shit, oh shit" and laughing.

After we'd found where he was we noticed a hole in a wall, he says it wasn't him - no one else has been in the game for weeks and it wasn't me or my friend.

Anyway after he'd gone we found several places where he'd sabotaged the world, characters had bits missing and Lightning McQueen was packed with TNT, if that had gone off months of work would have been lost.

Needless to say now players who join can't do anything at all without being approved.

Has anyone else had problems with people sabotaging their games? More to the point what the hell makes these idiots do such a thing?

If you see redneckmiller10 online and he asks to join your Minecraft game don't let him, he'll wreck it!

That sucks, man... this is why I ~never~ saved my world, with anyone on my map. I've only got two friends that I ~explicitly trust~, and will save the game after they have been on it... but everyone else gets watched like a hawk, and the game is in "read only" mode. (Though, it's been months since I played on the 360 version, so this is kind of a "moot point", now).

Me and my friend have a world we've been building in since the game came out. We've had a couple of people join the world and try to destroy thing but we keep autosave turned off. Now people can join have a look around and that's it unless we fully trust them.

To answer your question I don't know why people feel the need to destroy others worlds.

If you spend that much time on something, why would you give full permissions to a random person that asks to join?

i cant speak for the op but i know with me when i build something thats good and takes a lot of time i wanna show it off.. or its multiplayer so i end up playing with people i dont know quite often or i know my brther has more trouble with people he does know doing things than people he doesnt as his mates show off thinking theyre funny

A mate made a flatworld to build a big medieval style town, I joined to help and a mate of his was in there.

Neither of us checked on what this kid was up to for a while so we went to see and he'd just made a lumpy block of multicoloured wool and iron, my mate said it was a bit daft considering the world was medieval themed. At that the kid said he'd get rid of it, started pouring lava on it instead of simply destroying the blocks, then when my mate asked him what the hell he was doing he said it was me who'd done it.

Needless to say we don't let anyone we don't regularly speak to into our games anymore.

To put it mildly, it is a form of rape. Its all about control and power. You have something nice and if they can't have it, they will destroy it or take it from you. I drive a newer model corvette and people have a tendency to dump soda, ice cream, even spit on nice cars like that. Can't explain WHY exactly, just figure they are extremely juvenile and will never mature.

"some american"

Really?

Yeah, that stood out to me too... Nationality has nothing to do with if you're a dick or not.

I don't have a world on Minecraft but my friend who always hosts his worlds has ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have the setting so no one can do anything until given permission. Even people we talk to a lot that aren't in our normal circle don't get permission. Out of the 30ish people that have joined his world, only 5 of us have permission to build on it.

Edited by Ceris

tbh people in all fairness its really funny when you do it i don't know why its just funny seeing there building burn in flames while you giggle away now i can see on the other hand when someone does it to you you do get mad i usually turn auto save off unless its someone i can trust anyways.

Ever have your xbox stolen? I have. TWICE. Came home after a hard day of work only to find my house broken into and my xbox stolen. TWICE. The second time I had video running. Those clowns thought it was funny too...

When I said "some American" I was stating a fact, he is American!

Last week we had some Brit kid who was helpful at first but then decided to put water where we didn't want it - fortunately it didn't do any damage and was easily removed.

As for xPsYcHoSaWYeR and people like him, they are probably crap at making stuff in Minecraft so they have to go around ruining other peoples games because they have nothing else to do!

The host settings are now set so that no one is trusted unless we actually know them.

"some american"

Really?

its a description of a singular person not an attack on a race. theres nothing wrong with it

tbh people in all fairness its really funny when you do it i don't know why its just funny seeing there building burn in flames while you giggle away now i can see on the other hand when someone does it to you you do get mad i usually turn auto save off unless its someone i can trust anyways.

if you find it funny to destroy something people have spent hours on and upset them for no reason then i think you need to see a psychiatrist

Edited by RDrules

I had an Irish Man come into my world and started settings things on fire.

I saved before he came in... Few weeks later I got him back in.. this time I had traps, ran him through the lot before killing him over and over :)

You see... Pricks are everywhere in every nationality.

Edited by Irish Dave

When I said "some American" I was stating a fact, he is American!

Last week we had some Brit kid who was helpful at first but then decided to put water where we didn't want it - fortunately it didn't do any damage and was easily removed.

As for xPsYcHoSaWYeR and people like him, they are probably crap at making stuff in Minecraft so they have to go around ruining other peoples games because they have nothing else to do!

The host settings are now set so that no one is trusted unless we actually know them.

What does being american have to do with it? I get griefed by UK players but I never address them as such. That would imply their nationality had some significance in their being assholes.

I don't like being lumped in with this scum which is why I'm taking offense to that comment.

What does being american have to do with it? I get griefed by UK players but I never address them as such. That would imply their nationality had some significance in their being assholes.

I don't like being lumped in with this scum which is why I'm taking offense to that comment.

no it doesnt it implies that they were american and they were an asshole, there is a clear difference in using a singular to describe a person and saying "all".

if he had claimed all amercans were like that, then there is a problem, saying an american is like that isnt its just a description of the person.

Calling him American doesn't contribute anything to the description of the person.

of course it does, it contributes the fact that hes american... its not very useful information when n the internet but its a description none the less

If you don't save your game before you invite the unknown to your world.. whos fault is it really. Not every gamer is 100%, we're going and will get those who will want to destroy what we made because they think its funny.

SAVE THEN INVITE

thats a solution but it kind of nullifies the point of playing multiplayer in the first palce

if you always save he map under the assumption that that they'll do something... then revert to it after playing because they may have sabotaged something then whats the point of playing with them anyway because nothing got done since you revert the map

Edited by RDrules