How does legendary skills affect you?

I am not really sure what the legendary skills do. I reset them all and they went back to 15 but from what I can tell I all my previous perks, with the exception of my rolling ability and lock picks that don't break, are still intact. I am casting the high level spells, I still seem to have no problem picking master locks and pickpocket is still really easy. So I am wondering what it is that legendary skills do, does it allow me to do the other skills I never invested in and become "god like" by essentially having all the perks unlocked and active?

Just testing it out on Heavy Armor Skill tree, it removes all your perks and drops you to 15/100 and allows you to increase your level and skill for that tree at a faster rate then it does when skill is higher.

Dropping your Speech Skill you no longer can sell stolen items or items that the merchant normally does not purchase from you, (in other words the skill to sell any item or stolen item is now gone) However the skill level increases fast again.

No. Level 81 was not a level cap... it was just the natural point at which you stopped leveling because skills could only be leveled to 100, and leveling skills is what allowed you to level your character.

With being able to "prestige" your skills, you're given those perks back, but the skill is reset to level 15, allowing you to level it back up again. This essentially removes the level cap, allowing you to eventually earn all possible perks for all skills.

Some people may consider it a waste of time... which it is, to be honest. But when I first saw the leveling system in Skyrim, I wanted to create a character that is a master of everything. Now I can do that.

No. Level 81 was not a level cap... it was just the natural point at which you stopped leveling because skills could only be leveled to 100, and leveling skills is what allowed you to level your character.

With being able to "prestige" your skills, you're given those perks back, but the skill is reset to level 15, allowing you to level it back up again. This essentially removes the level cap, allowing you to eventually earn all possible perks for all skills.

Some people may consider it a waste of time... which it is, to be honest. But when I first saw the leveling system in Skyrim, I wanted to create a character that is a master of everything. Now I can do that.

So plain and simple, you can get every skill to 100 having all of those perks unlocked?

I remember when I first played, I spent quite a good amount of time on my first character. Then I realized I could have had better skills leveled up for how I wanted to play so I ended up creating a new character for stealth. Now from what I'm understanding we don't have to worry about that at all. Finally, now I can work on enchanting and not have to worry about stopping at a certain level or using those perks on another skill.

@ecto69 Thanks for clearing that up too, good to know.

I see, thank you, I had suspected as much but after playing another four hours with my skills having been reset and not seeing my characters level bar moving I just assumed the 81.5 it stopped at was as far as it would go.

I looked on PC forums and the bethesda forums but could not find any information that actually helped everything mostly revolved around people trying to figure out how to prestige their skills. Thank you again for your reply.

You can Legendary a skill multiple times....don't think there is a limit.

So pick something easy...like Alchemy...and just concentrate on making ridiulously powerful potions over and over. This will help it to almost instantly level up to 100. Just Legendary the skill and repeat. Each time it reaches Level 100, you'll gain probably two Levels...thus gaining two more skill perks to use.

This is just one way to get skill points to spread throughout the skill trees that you want.

I started this process with all of my skills at 100 (because of previous Oghma Infinium glitch). Now just by leveling up Alchemy over and over, I can fill up the perk trees on everything else. I am so far up to about Level 120 overall with my character. I went from Level 81 to 120 just by using Alchemy.

You can Legendary a skill multiple times....don't think there is a limit.

So pick something easy...like Alchemy...and just concentrate on making ridiulously powerful potions over and over. This will help it to almost instantly level up to 100. Just Legendary the skill and repeat. Each time it reaches Level 100, you'll gain probably two Levels...thus gaining two more skill perks to use.

This is just one way to get skill points to spread throughout the skill trees that you want.

I started this process with all of my skills at 100 (because of previous Oghma Infinium glitch). Now just by leveling up Alchemy over and over, I can fill up the perk trees on everything else. I am so far up to about Level 120 overall with my character. I went from Level 81 to 120 just by using Alchemy.

Ok will do thank you for the tip, I was going to do it with the daggers thing but I for got they patched that a while ago :/

Ok will do thank you for the tip, I was going to do it with the daggers thing but I for got they patched that a while ago :/

I unfortunately was unaware of the patch, it's taking ages to get Smithing back to 100! :rant:

Aside from Alchemy, what other skills do you guys suggest to use as "easy leveling" type skills? Enchanting?

I unfortunately was unaware of the patch, it's taking ages to get Smithing back to 100! :rant:

Aside from Alchemy, what other skills do you guys suggest to use as "easy leveling" type skills? Enchanting?

Get yourself a set of Fortify Alchemy clothing (Bracers, Circlet, Necklace, Ring). Enchant them yourself. Keep making some Fortify Restoration potions, drink one then unequip and equip your items. The Fortify percentage will start to go up exponentially.

Once you get there, make some powerful potions for other skills.........like Fortify Smithing.

You can drink the ridiculously strong Smithing Potion before upgrading some piece of equipment. This should shoot the Smithing skill straight to 100.

I can't take full credit for this method, but it helped me out. Here's my source.... http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65013

So with being able to legend skills over n over you can reach any level you want now? Sounds great!

If I reset my One-Handed skill, meaning level 15 one-handed with no perks, then wouldn't it become ridicuously hard defeating enemies because I'll have no perks with it and enemies would still be at my level, meaning much harder to defeat at level 15 One-Handed again?

I finally unlocked every perk. I've landed at Level 252. This number was expected considering there are 251 perks to unlock.

Alchemy was my go to skill for power leveling this time around.

Considering the amount of time I was 'stuck' on Level 81......in just two days I've gone from 81 to 252. This leveling update was a nice addition!

A nice bonus for making so many powerful potions is that now I can sell them for lots and lots of gold!

If I reset my One-Handed skill, meaning level 15 one-handed with no perks, then wouldn't it become ridicuously hard defeating enemies because I'll have no perks with it and enemies would still be at my level, meaning much harder to defeat at level 15 One-Handed again?

Yes, once you reset the perks are gone and 1 hand weapon will now be weaker. So you need to do other things to offset the power loss.

You can always use a high power sword , if you have one, or smith one. And use gloves with 20% or more increase in 1hand. I don't recall his name the jester from db has light armor that gives you 20% 1 hand iirc.

I think the best way would be to only reset the skills that don't affect your battle style as much, ie heavy armor and just wear über armor until you can gain your skills back.

I am still working out the best way to use this legendary skills mode.

Yes. When I posted this I forgot I had on armor that made my lockpicking and various other things extremely good which is why I though that the only thing I lost were the special ability perks from the trees I used. When I took them off in favor of something else I was getting totally destroyed, so it look like I am stuck with my one set of armor for a while.

Get yourself a set of Fortify Alchemy clothing (Bracers, Circlet, Necklace, Ring). Enchant them yourself. Keep making some Fortify Restoration potions, drink one then unequip and equip your items. The Fortify percentage will start to go up exponentially.

Once you get there, make some powerful potions for other skills.........like Fortify Smithing.

You can drink the ridiculously strong Smithing Potion before upgrading some piece of equipment. This should shoot the Smithing skill straight to 100.

I can't take full credit for this method, but it helped me out. Here's my source.... http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/615803-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/faqs/65013

Appreciate the advice! That link is awesome.

Enchant a gear set for free Illusion > Muffle > about an hour 15-100 (without skill bonuses) probably 30-45 minutes with both. Smithing and Alchemy both rely on materials, you run out, it takes time to gather more. This way saves time in the long run. There are other methods, but this is decently fast, and within the limits of the game... unlike the fortify restoration glitch.

Edited by Midnight Malice

Does it take away all the perks that I have in that skill tree? For example will it take the Slow Time skill from archery if it goes down to 15 again?

Yes it does. You'll have to build that skill up again in order to re-earn those perks.

By doing so, this gives you the ability to re-distribute perks to another area (or same area again). Since you can do this many times, you can now earn every perk for every skill (you'll have to get to Level 252 in order to unlock every skill perk).

I was wondering since I am about to start this game, which skills should I focus on to make getting to level 50 and then getting a Legendary Dragon go the fastest? I figured Smithing or Alchemy would be good but I am not really sure.

I've have posts regarding Alchemy in this very thread. It is very easy to level up (assuming you have the ingredients). You'll have to be at least Level 78 for the Legendary Dragon (with Dawnguard installed).

I've have posts regarding Alchemy in this very thread. It is very easy to level up (assuming you have the ingredients). You'll have to be at least Level 78 for the Legendary Dragon (with Dawnguard installed).
Alright thanks for the tip man, so if you do that exploit with the fortify restoration potions, do you level up a lot by just making a couple super-powerful potions?

Alright thanks for the tip man, so if you do that exploit with the fortify restoration potions, do you level up a lot by just making a couple super-powerful potions?

Once I was wearing 5 pieces of Alchemy enhancing apparal, I could get Alchemy to 100 by just making one potion. Most times I would gain more than one Level at a time. Then I would reset the skill and do it again. It was a slow process, but eventually I gained enough skills to unlock every perk.

The article I referenced in one of my other posts was very helpful in explaining how to do this process.

• 3 weeks later...

Just cuz I'm confused after reading a lot of posts I want someone to clarify...

If I get to 100 skill level in Archery (which is my strongest one so far at 89) I can choose to "prestige" and get it back to level 15. Doing so would mean I loose all the perks I've collected in this tree (which is almost all of them) :eek:

If I loose all the perks I applied to archery to begin with, isn't this whole process a bit redundant?

Meanwhile my perk tree for block, illusion, pickpocket are completely undeveloped..

So should I, in this case, level up my block or illusion to level 100 and prestige, but buy no perks in that tree because I'd loose them anyway, and just apply all perks I do gain to the other trees instead?

[ignorance was bliss but now I'm OCD]