Mississippi Finally Abolishes Slavery

Gamerdude5448

How can an individual state not have abolished slavery when the entire country had done it in 1865? Wouldn't that be violating the constitution? Are you telling me they still had slaves in Mississippi?

Not sure if serious...

If you are looking for an actual answer and not being sarcastic, let me know and I'll be happy to explain amendment ratification and federal preemption to you.

How can an individual state not have abolished slavery when the entire country had done it in 1865? Wouldn't that be violating the constitution? Are you telling me they still had slaves in Mississippi?

Not sure if serious...

If you are looking for an actual answer and not being sarcastic, let me know and I'll be happy to explain amendment ratification and federal preemption to you.

All he needs to do is read up on a little something called the "Supremacy Clause". No, it doesn't have anything to do with Jason Bourne. (that isn't directed at you Dook, I know you know your shit)

Not sure if serious...

All he needs to do is read up on a little something called the "Supremacy Clause".

Nevermind guys, forgot about the supremacy clause. Ignore my first post, lol.

States can still have laws out saying something different than what the federal laws mandates. But federal laws are over the state laws. If the government wanted to say you have to be 19 or older to but cigarettes, then all the states that say younger wouldn't be right any more and would move up to 19. So yes, the state could have never ratified the 13th Amendment in their state, but that wouldn't have made it legal.

States can still have laws out saying something different than what the federal laws mandates. But federal laws are over the state laws. If the government wanted to say you have to be 19 or older to but cigarettes, then all the states that say younger wouldn't be right any more and would move up to 19. So yes, the state could have never ratified the 13th Amendment in their state, but that wouldn't have made it legal.

Example. California and medical marijuana.