College Tips?

Gamerdude5448

So, I'm going to be taking college classes next year. I need some tips to get by. I need at least a B in each class. Any tips will do, such as note taking tips and or even book carrying tips. ( I know that sounds stupid, but who knows.) I'm going to be 16 once I start so any tips that have to do with being a legal adult won't really apply. I kinda know the basics, study, be prepared, etc. Maybe even some Apps from the App store that you might think are useful could help me out. Thanks.

So, I'm going to be taking college classes next year. I need some tips to get by. I need at least a B in each class. Any tips will do, such as note taking tips and or even book carrying tips. ( I know that sounds stupid, but who knows.) I'm going to be 16 once I start so any tips that have to do with being a legal adult won't really apply. I kinda know the basics, study, be prepared, etc. Maybe even some Apps from the App store that you might think are useful could help me out. Thanks.

I don't go to college myself but I have some friends who do, here are some things to note:

• Take notes, legibly; if not then find a digital alternative.
  • (obviously) Stay away from Fraternities. you'll lose your soul, among other things.
  • Back up your notes.
  • Make a daily schedule if you have the mindset to follow it.

• Eat fish (or anything with Omega 3's), it'll help you brain parts :)

Book tips... You use a backpack right? how heavy are the books?

I know plenty of people who use tape recorders to record the teacher during class and help add to their notes. Not really my cup of tea, but if regular written notes aren't cutting it, you may want to try that out.

Also, splitting up your study times has really helped me out. If you study in blocks of a few hours at a time, try to mix a few subjects in so you aren't spending the whole time cramming one subject.

Tip: don't waste money on textbooks.

This caused me to fail my Computer Science class...

As said above, take legible notes. To add onto this: Go over your notes after class or just any time later in the day. It helps with storing the information into your long-term memory.

Tips that come to mind (some being obvious)

• Show up to every class, no matter the situation.
  • If you have a question, don't be afraid to ask for help, whether it be the teacher, another student, or a tutor.
  • Get plenty of sleep. Sleep is extremely important. On a night before a test, getting sleep is more important than cramming.
  • Do the homework, even if it isn't being graded, as it helps with your long-term memory.
  • Know what the instructor expects of you when it comes to assignments or tests. Knowing how to answer is sometimes half the solution.
  • Never put things off until the last minute.
  • Get to know at least one other person in your class that you can collaborate with for homework and if you have to miss class for whatever reason. Never go it alone if you don't have to.

Edited by Ceris

Let's see...

• Buy your books off Amazon. If they're over $75 USED, don't buy them. Period.
  • Don't play Xbox all day.
  • Time management, make sure all your work/reading is outta the way before you chill with friends, go out on the weekends or play some Xbox.
  • Brings condoms.
  • Make sure you don't skip meals just because you have a lot of work to do.
  • Always go to class, unless of course you're sick. There's no point in going, just stay in your dorm/at home and rest
  • Use RateMyProfessor.com to find the best teachers for your classes for next semester or for future semester
  • Don't drop out, no matter how hard/stressful college will get.

Edited by BiggD

Go to every orientation you possibly can and study every word of all literature about the school you're attending and arm yourself with the knowledge of the many resources available to you to make you successful, both financially and academically. If you know how to play the game, you might find yourself studying abroad at little or no cost to you and having a life experience you will never forget. If you're struggling with classes, people exist that can and will help you. Don't make it a habit of taking advice from other students on how to get by the way they claim they did. You have to do the work the hard way, otherwise you're wasting someone's money and even worse, your time - which I promise you, you will regret eventually.

Book tips... You use a backpack right? how heavy are the books?

Yeah but I have a bad back and it hurts my back to wear my backpack.

Thanks for all the tips everyone! I will most definitely get a time planner for time management. Also, I don't drink coffee anyway so that shouldn't be a problem. Getting Omega 3's is a good idea. I don't like fish too much though so I'll probably take a supplement. Also, I will definitely get a bunch of sleep.

Want some advice?

Well, yeah.

Well, here's all you need to know. Classes: nothing before eleven. Beer: it's your best friend, you drink a lot. Women? You're a freshman, so it's pretty much out of the question. Will you have a car?

Uh, no.

Someone on your floor will. Find them and make friends with them on the first day.

Want some advice?

Well, yeah.

Well, here's all you need to know. Classes: nothing before eleven. Beer: it's your best friend, you drink a lot. Women? You're a freshman, so it's pretty much out of the question. Will you have a car?

Uh, no.

Someone on your floor will. Find them and make friends with them on the first day.

Most of these I can't do as I'm still in high school as well. I have college classes on Tuesday and Thursday and regular high school classes Monday Wednsday and Friday. I can't drink beer, I could care less about women at this point in my life and I don't even have my license yet.

I'm in CS myself and this can't possibly be true... everything you need can be found through Google.

Except the homework;)

Another thing from my "studies" class.

When studying, pick a place that isn't comfortable and without distractions.

I'll keep mentioning things as I remember them.:D

Edited by Ceris

Here are two documents that I wrote for my school. They are obviously specific to McMaster University, but the tips themselves can be applied to any school.

http://learningin3d.ca/documents/IWishIKnewRev6WEB.pdf

http://learningin3d.ca/documents/SocialImportanceWEB.pdf

Basically, make friends who are in the same classes at you, and try to work together. Save money by buying used textbooks, and rent a locker if you dont want to carry too many books. Always make time from things aside from your studies, it's not fun to focus too much on them. Also, you'll want to keep in mind that it's not like high school. It'll probably be impossible for you to be equally as good at every subject, so focus on your weak areas.