Should more games do a "Case Zero"?

Stylish Skills

I bought it straight away and loved it :) Well worth the 400msp :)

I wish people would stop saying it's a demo though, it's not a demo, it's a xbla game in it's own right, set in it's own location with most characters that probably won't be in Dead Rising 2. A demo is part of the game which you end up playing through only to play through again on the full version (hence why i don't bother with demos)

But i'm real glad everyone is liking it and would enjoy a lot more like this :)

Personally, i don't think they should.

Even though the game was set before DR2 it's soul purpose was to give gamers the chance to experience and get a feel for actual retail game of Dead Rising 2.

Therefore in my eyes it's a demo and i don't think a demo should be charged 400 Ms.

Although i still bought it due to it being an easy 200.

It's comparable to as if bungie brought out a game called "Meet The Noble Team" and all it was was the noble team sat around a tent having a coffee then a few grunts attack you then game over.

Edited by Gareth Dent

If devs want to make a quick and dirty opener to the game, putting you in an area that's either not in the actual game or a polished demo that leads into it, I think that's great. Especially since it will include achievements and hopefully carry over, both which DR:C0 did.

Additionally, they should all follow DR's example and make it 400MS. Just looking at this forum thread, look at how many people this "prequel" convinced to buy the retail game! For $5! So the devs should take note as one of three things can happen;

1.) Best case scenario - Person buys the "prequel", likes it, buys the full release. Developer and publisher sold a game and made an additional $5.

2.) Good scenario - Person doesn't buy the "prequel", buys the full release. They released a better than average demo (in theory), causing them to spend a little bit more money, but at least the sold the full version.

3.) Okay scenario - Person buys the "prequel", doesn't like it, doesn't buy the full release. At least they make $5 on a glorified demo.

So please devs, at least try the idea. You're not really risking anything.

And for those that are worried about the "death of the free demo", they should release a snippet of the actual game, but nothing carries over. So, essentially what happens already.

I think this idea worked well with Dead Rising Case Zero. However I am not so sure that it is a formula that would work with all types of games.

Let's say that they did this with a FIFA game instead? To me that would feel a little weird seeing as they can't really do anything that shouldn't be in the full retail game later on. However with games with a set story or chapters it could probably work. In Case Zero it worked because it strings the main story together with what led up to it in the first place.

If other companies wants to do this I hope they will create games that will add something to the full retail game. At the same time it is important to make sure that you don't "need" to buy these small games to get the full enjoyment out of the "real" game later on. :)

• 2 weeks later...
No. Because that would grow into the death of demos, and the birth of $5 "mini games". And I doubt many would go as far as Case Zero, and make a game of such quality and value. (What was the last $5 game released to the XBLA?)

It works for some games, but for others it's just unnecessary.

Agreed. First its $5 prequel mini games. Then its $10 prequel mini games. Then its $15 prequel mini games. Then we will be charged to download and play the multiplayer aspect of a game even though its written in the retail games code. Then we will be buying individual weapons for use in our games. Then game companies will be gouging so much that we pay $60 for a bare bones single player game and everything else is at extra cost through DLC or "prequel mini games". I don't mind a few DLC campaigns that are reasonably priced, but the market is getting ridiculous. Game companies are already starting on this trend (Konami with Castlevania:HD selling DLC levels the are already built in the games code). We are descending on a slippery slope and no one knows when it will end.

Down With Price Gouging!

400 MSP is a bargain, but wasn't Case 0 just a glorified demo? The trial didn't do much for me, so I didn't bite.

Therefore in my eyes it's a demo and i don't think a demo should be charged 400 Ms.

Although i still bought it due to it being an easy 200.

Yes and no that it was a glorified demo. Yes, it did show gameplay and graphics of the new Deadrising 2 game but then it was also a stand-alone game with its own gamerscore.

I bet the biggest reason why it wouldn't be free is that it would be very doubtful Microsoft would let it go through with gamerscore and no price tag. Not to say it hasn't happened before (i.e. Dash of Destruction but I bet Dorito's paid money for that since it basically was a large advertisement for them) but it doesn't happen too often.

With how well this game sold (it sold more than 300,000 copies at $5 a pop that is $1.5 million dollars made) that more developers will see this and do the same thing with varying degrees of success.