Found it exciting at first...

JessIsMe

but then Alan Wake bored the crap out of me. anyone else feel that way?:confused:

I was enthralled and engaged through the entire story, but then I played the DLCs and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. I was quite disappointed that they did nothing to advance the story and did nothing to clarify the ending. Needless to say, I am still eagerly awaiting a sequel and hope that the DLC doesn't suck.

I was enthralled and engaged through the entire story, but then I played the DLCs and I was left with a bad taste in my mouth. I was quite disappointed that they did nothing to advance the story and did nothing to clarify the ending. Needless to say, I am still eagerly awaiting a sequel and hope that the DLC doesn't suck.

I feel the same way, for the most part. Haven't played the DLC yet but have read around that many people were disappointed, which makes me feel a bit :( about it.

I loved the story, excellent stuff, definitely kept my attention and made me want to continue playing with the action/horror combo.

I found it an exciting game from begining to the end, actually when I got to the credits I thought, "Damn what a ride".

Now that I have to replay it for various achievements, it may not be as engaging.

Really one of the better games I have played on 360 and it's a goddamn shame it didn't sell better.

Playthrough 1: Awesome, one of my favourite games in a long time.

Started playthrough 2 on Nightmare...Hit mission 4 and not played since, just got slightly bored, but I will come back to it again for sure.

There is a lot of potential for an amazing game. & the story line was the best in a long long time.

• 2 weeks later...

i would have to agree that i felt the same way..around chapter 4 or so the gameplay began to get boring but the story was what really kept me going because i thought it was freaking amazing! so much so its making me play it a second time on nightmare now

My only complaint is that, although the story is rich and intriguing, the actual gameplay is nothing short of Point A to Point B, and usually the environments are interchangeable and unrelated to the mission, i.e. Get to Lover's Peak but cross through a saw mill and a lumber yard and a river.

• 2 weeks later...

I have started this game only recently (a couple of days or so...). I like the atmosphere and the game dynamics... with the exception of the collectibles. Ok for the manuscripts, as they are part of the story, but all those useless items are a little annoying (and I am only at half of the Episode 2).

I imagine that the designers put all those collectibles in order to keep players going everywhere and making the whole game time a little longer...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lots of potential here for a great game, but it really fell short for me. The plot really wasn't that good. It had flashes but tried to outsmart itself and the ending fell apart.

I really dislike games with intentionally vague and pointless endings. It always feels like an easy out for the writers instead of actually making everything make sense.

I can see where you are coming from. I really like this type of game, phycological with elements of horror.

But after finishing it I got the feeling that it was so close to being a masterpiece but managed to fall just short in pretty much every area. The game sufferes from the usual prblems games face:

- Repeitive gameplay - combat gets tiresome although the concept is good, why no puzzles? Why can't they mix the gameplay up a bit?

- Samey landscapes - The forest is awesome at first, but it is over used. Just not enough variety IMO.

- Lack of interesting enemies - where are the epic bosses? Why do all the taken pretty much look the same? Why not posessed animals? Enemy variety becomes a grind towards the end.

- Bloody collectibles! - Collectibles IMO is a lazy, cheap way for developers to atificially lengthen the game. There were so many in this game it's beyond ridicuolus, at least have a point to them. Games should take a lesson from Batman Arkham Asylum for collectibles, the Riddles were a great and original.

- Lack of replay value and unlockables - You complete the game. Then what? Play it again? Collect the tedious, pointless collectibles? The benchmark here for a single player game is Resident Evil 4, loads of bouns modes, loads of unlockables that keep you coming back again and again. (probably never have it as good though with DLC)

The game is very good (really liked the story and the game as a whole TBH) but it just suffers from these common problems with games this gen which holds it back from classic status. There is a lack of imagination and most of all variety in all areas.

These are such common problems now a days.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Found it interesting enough to 1500/1500 it. Liked the atmosphere and story, and even the combat was fun. What I didn't like were the platforming-type elements in "The Writer"; jumping challenges are for games with tight controls. Otherwise, you're just challenging your ability to compensate for slop.

I picked it up for £5 (pre-owned) in the sales a few days ago, I played the 1st episode earlier today and feel I'll end up sharing the op's viewpoint. Was a couple of moments I really enjoyed like the anthology horror show airing on that cabins television, and can understand the story would be interesting enough to keep me hooked a little, its just the gameplay seems kinda bland.

- Bloody collectibles! - Collectibles IMO is a lazy, cheap way for developers to atificially lengthen the game. There were so many in this game it's beyond ridicuolus, at least have a point to them. Games should take a lesson from Batman Arkham Asylum for collectibles, the Riddles were a great and original.

And this really sums up one of my pet hates, I don't want to roam around looking for coffee flasks and transcripts. I will at some point go back and try get back into the game, but as it stands I picked up so many other more involving games recently to care much for AW.