Achievements in Categories

Dite

I don't know if there's already a thread for an idea like this (if there is, I'd happily and thankfully search again or follow a link), but I didn't see any on the first couple of pages and the search seems to act up when I put "Achievement Categories" in...

But, that was something I was thinking of. It probably won't happen with the 360, but maybe when the next big gaming system comes out, I hope the achievements are put in categories (think of Rock Band 3's Goals sections).

I think it's the type of thing that would at least semi-satiate people's achievement obssessions...or at least mine.

When I'm working on achievements (and when I made my extremely long post in the Difficulty Achievements poll), I think about the achievement types themselves, and the DLC and such.

People like, use, and can't have different and certain things. So, I think I'd like it if games had categories for their achievements.

I imagine the game lists being as they are now, but when you click one, instead of it going straight to the list of achievements, it's a similar list, but with the different types of achievements, based on type and "timeline".

They don't have to go in-depth, and the categories should stay general and not game-specific.

General categories could be:

Game Experience which could be the general name of most achievements--DW6 Empires would not have "Characters" or "Scenario" sections. Just game experience)

Difficulty or Replay, for the difficulty achievements dilemma. I know some games have different experiences based on the level, but I can't really think of any. It would also include playing it again.

Online/Multiplayer which are the achievements the require online play. At least those without Xbox live will have a single-line section to ignore rather than a bunch of achievement lock icons.

DLC which wouldn't be DLC, but the name of the specific DLC, so that for each DLC with achievements, it is separated as it is on the achievement lists here. It would probably override the other categories. I always liked how on the PS3 you got some kind of sign of completion even if you didn't buy the DLC (platinum trophy).

So, on your Xbox guide in the Achievements section, where it would say:

Mass Effect

X out of 49 Achievements

Pressing A on it would take you to a similar 'page' that would have:

Game Experience

X out of 42 (or) 43 Achievements

Difficulty

X out of 2 Achievements

(or)

Replay

X out of 3 Achievements

DLC: Bring Down the Sky

X out of 1 Achievements

DLC: Pinnacle Station

X out of 3 Achievements

---it would either omit Online/Multiplayer or have--

Online/Multiplayer

0 out of 0 Achievements

It'd probably also give two sections when you click on your player, so it'd have 100% Sections and 100% Games (if you get 100% of all sections).

It may be harder than it seems, but I think it'd be something hard (or at least tedious) to change in the current achievement system, but easy to start on a new system since they already have the pieces.

You can let me know what you think. I could be crazy, or stupid, or just wanting to baby myself and other achievement hunters...or it could be a good idea that someone else has probably already stated.