Universal Control Scheme & Other Options

Thought this could be an interesting read before launch for those wondering how 343 Industries is going to handle the control scheme across all four games.

I'll quote and link Bravo's blog about this below:

Another important element of replaying these timeless missions is how the game feels. In The Master Chief Collection, new control options and schemes also present the option to play across all of the games in a new way, or return to the original schemes (on a per-game level). For me, this means playing Halo: CE on Halo: CE’s default scheme, playing Halo 2 on its respective default scheme, and then playing Halo 3 and Halo 4 on the new Universal Bumper Jumper scheme. If you’d like to play on a single Universal control scheme across all games, you can. If you prefer specific control schemes for each game, you can set ‘em up, and whether you’re playing Campaign, custom games, or Matchmaking, your control preference will be remembered. Let’s talk about how controller settings will work in Halo: The Master Chief Collection.

ASSAULT ON THE CONTROLLER SETTINGS

Halo: The Master Chief Collection not only features a new set of universal control schemes that work across all titles, but also new options available to players. Let’s dig in, starting with the universal schemes.

Universal Default (Recon)"

mcc_button-layout_recon-74d517d72af0433d81e2284727372fb6.jpg

Universal Reclaimer:

mcc_button-layout_reclaimer-fbed05b29817426e8827e0a67f542463.jpg

Universal Zoom & Shoot:

mcc_button-layout_zoomshoot-0f3fb28ffdb64efe98a56b1ad7465381.jpg

Universal Bump & Jump (Bumper Jumper):

mcc_button-layout_bumpjump-a7f5391f7dbd4322af3ddc09a36f04f5.jpg

Universal Green Fingers:

mcc_button-layout_greenfinger-6e4612d6ec5f44e9bf15a0120e719444.jpg

-------

Additionally, as I mentioned above, if you prefer to use the control settings that were available in the original titles, these are available to use within that respective game. For example, here’s the Halo 2 default layout:

HALO 2 DEFAULT (AVAILABLE IN HALO 2 CLASSIC AND HALO 2: ANNIVERSARY)

mcc_button-layout_default-002f897503d747239a81d385fbc9eec4.jpg

-----

We’ll also have the following options available:

(Items marked with an * allow players to set them to the same configuration for all supported games)

• Thumbstick Layouts*: Default, Southpaw, Legacy, and Legacy Southpaw
  • Button Layouts*: All original button layouts in addition to the above universal control schemes, minus Southpaw (read on, lefties)
  • Southpaw layouts have been upgraded. The traditional Southpaw button layout has been removed and replaced by a more customizable lefty set of options for each game:
    • Bumpers and triggers can be swapped for any control scheme.
    • The DPAD and face buttons can be swapped for any control scheme. In addition, if the DPAD is swapped, it can also be inverted.

[*]Look Inversion*: Frankie or Not Inverted

[*]Look Sensitivity*: 1-10

[*]Impluse Triggers*: Can be turned on for Halo 2 Anniversary Multiplayer, Halo 3, and Halo 4, and are independent of “Vibration”

[*]Auto Look Centering*: Enabled or Disabled

[*]Crouch Behavior*: Click or Toggle

[*]Flight Inversion*: Enabled or Disabled

[*]Theater Controls (Halo 2: Anniversary Multiplayer, Halo 3, Halo 4)

• Turn sensitivity: 4 levels
    • Panning: Hold to pan, toggle
    • Camera Speed: 4 levels
    • Camera Thrust: 3 levels

If you have additional questions about control settings, shoot ‘em over. We hope you enjoy playing each title within Halo: The Master Chief Collection your way, whether it be with classic or brandy spankin’ new options.

Source - Halo Waypoint Blog

Pretty awesome that they allow both universal and game-specific controller setups. I haven't decided if I want to go with a universal control scheme or switch it up between games based on the original control schemes.

Yeah, I dig the fact that they're keeping original schemes but for the sake of me not confusing anything, I think I'm gonna rock Universal Reclaimer!

They don't have my control schematic -_- I just wanted it to play like the original Halo from beginning to end. They just couldn't leave well enough alone, could they? Recon and Reclaimer were both so close, but they just went and messed it up.

A - Jump

B - Melee

X - Reload / Activate

Y - Change Weapon

LT - Grenade

RT - Fire Weapon

LB - Flashlight / H3 Equipment

RB - Change Grenade

So simple...

They don't have my control schematic -_- I just wanted it to play like the original Halo from beginning to end. They just couldn't leave well enough alone, could they? Recon and Reclaimer were both so close, but they just went and messed it up.

A - Jump

B - Melee

X - Reload / Activate

Y - Change Weapon

LT - Grenade

RT - Fire Weapon

RB - Change Grenade

So simple...

They can't do the original control scheme from Halo: CE because the controller is different. There are no black and white buttons. You can also change how the controls are mapped.

Took the time to look through them all finally. Universal Reclaimer for me!

Whoot! Another Reclaimer over here!

A - Jump

B - Melee

X - Reload / Activate

Y - Change Weapon

LT - Grenade

RT - Fire Weapon

RB - Change Grenade

So simple...

I think you can custom map your own control scheme, so you're fine!

A - Jump

B - Melee

X - Reload / Activate

Y - Change Weapon

LT - Grenade

RT - Fire Weapon

RB - Change Grenade

So simple...

I have to agree with you here Deadzone on control scheme. I always go back to how I played Halo CE for control scheme, probably because of a very developed muscle memory for the controls since Nov 2001. Though I will go LB - switch grenades, and RB - flashlight/equipment to keep my grenade commands on the left side.

Whoot! Another Reclaimer over here!

I think you can custom map your own control scheme, so you're fine!

Can we? That's something I've been wanting for the past couple of games. It's nice that they have so many preconfigured options available, but it would be better for us if we can just map our own.

Can we? That's something I've been wanting for the past couple of games. It's nice that they have so many preconfigured options available, but it would be better for us if we can just map our own.

I could be wrong but I believe the smaller controls of the bumpers and letter buttons might be fully customizable. I remember reading this in the comments of the blog post on control schemes. If I'm wrong though, I apologize :o

While I agree, competitive gaming in Halo died in 2009 :p

BiggD, I would tend to agree with you, but I am cautiously optimistic regarding the future. This announcement earlier today is rather subtle, but still very important. The team at 343i has hired another prominent MLG pro to directly contribute towards the making of Halo 5:

To elaborate, Michael "StrongSide" Cavanaugh has been one of the very best Halo competitors throughout the history of the franchise. He joins a handful of MLG alumni that are now on the 343i payroll, and I believe this signifies an even bigger commitment from Microsoft to ensure that the Halo series returns to the style of play that made it the pinnacle of FPS games during the Halo 2 & 3 era.

BiggD, I would tend to agree with you, but I am cautiously optimistic regarding the future. This announcement earlier today is rather subtle, but still very important. The team at 343i has hired another prominent MLG pro to directly contribute towards the making of Halo 5:

To elaborate, Michael "StrongSide" Cavanaugh has been one of the very best Halo competitors throughout the history of the franchise. He joins a handful of MLG alumni that are now on the 343i payroll, and I believe this signifies an even bigger commitment from Microsoft to ensure that the Halo series returns to the style of play that made it the pinnacle of FPS games during the Halo 2 & 3 era.

Hmm, Strongside? Was he on Str8 Rippin at some point? His name sounds familiar.

Speaking of which, I'm surprised T2 hasn't been hired, lol. Though you do make a good case; it seems as though 343i is really dedicated to making Halo 5's Multiplayer and beyond the best that it can be. Hell, even take a look at the beta. It's three weeks long and is being held TEN months before the game's release. That speaks volumes to the studio's commitment at making the game the best it can be.

Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Walshy, Strongside - Final Boss. When Walshy was cut from FB, Strongside followed him to some other teams. He won the Halo 4 FFA competition and won the UNSC Ford Raptor.

I think T2 is doing a lot of media now. While playing the game is important, design and creativity is an entirely different skill in making maps otherwise all we'll end up with is a bunch of circle maps with a few things in the middle to fight over.

Regarding controllers I'm sticking with Recon on Inverted View. Tried Bumper Jumper for a period and while I understand how it can benefit I've used A as my jump button on so many games now I struggle. Hell not even all of the MLG pros use BJ - iGotUrPistola is using Recon / Default Halo CE.

Ogre 1, Ogre 2, Walshy, Strongside - Final Boss. When Walshy was cut from FB, Strongside followed him to some other teams. He won the Halo 4 FFA competition and won the UNSC Ford Raptor.

I think T2 is doing a lot of media now. While playing the game is important, design and creativity is an entirely different skill in making maps otherwise all we'll end up with is a bunch of circle maps with a few things in the middle to fight over.

Regarding controllers I'm sticking with Recon on Inverted View. Tried Bumper Jumper for a period and while I understand how it can benefit I've used A as my jump button on so many games now I struggle. Hell not even all of the MLG pros use BJ - iGotUrPistola is using Recon / Default Halo CE.

Yeah, being a pro gamer nowadays is way more than just being good at your game. You have to put as much time in press and sponsorships than the game if you want to get anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

Universal reclaimer for me.

I want to use bumper jumper but I just don't understand why reload is B, I mean X isn't being used and I'd prefer if that was reload as I'm just used to it being that.

This is why I want fully customisable controls, I find a control scheme that I like but there is one button that makes the control scheme extremely annoying to use.