Still freezing?!?!

Saint Jericho

So I am just now getting around to playing this game, even though I got it on the release date. I had other games to finish, so I held off on starting this one. I heard about all the problems people were having with this game, so I intentionally waited a while for that reason too. Since it's been more than a couple months, I figured Bethesda woulda fixed the problem. When I popped in the disc, it did a 8MB title update. Despite that, I have been playing this game for about 5 or 6 hours, and it has frozen up on me 3 times!!! Is it still doing this for anyone else, or am I just the lucky SOB???

On a random note: Anyone notice that the Brotherhood of Steel's initials are just Son of a B***h initials backwards?

I had EXACTLY this problem, installed to HDD with title update, then it kept freezing on area transitions. I uninstalled it and the problem went away.

My theory? The game basically expected itself to take longer when loading a new area (which it does when not installed) and the patch just makes the game unable to cope with loading so quickly.

Then again, I had a crashing issue myself, when doing the final battle on the Legion side, a couple of rooms before the finale it would keep crashing at the same moment, regardless of how I went about it. Installing the game solved that problem, but then brought about the transition crashes. Now I've uninstalled it and it's working fine again, went all the way through a 4th playthrough and both DLCs without a single crash.

I had EXACTLY this problem, installed to HDD with title update, then it kept freezing on area transitions. I uninstalled it and the problem went away.

My theory? The game basically expected itself to take longer when loading a new area (which it does when not installed) and the patch just makes the game unable to cope with loading so quickly.

Then again, I had a crashing issue myself, when doing the final battle on the Legion side, a couple of rooms before the finale it would keep crashing at the same moment, regardless of how I went about it. Installing the game solved that problem, but then brought about the transition crashes. Now I've uninstalled it and it's working fine again, went all the way through a 4th playthrough and both DLCs without a single crash.

The weird thing is for me though, only 1 of the freezes occurred at a transitional area. The other two occured when i was just walking around Goodsprings. I got lucky though, cuz after the last freeze i just took a break, came back to it an hour or so later, and didn't have any problems the rest of the night!

• 1 month later...

I had sme freezing issues on my first playthrough, then after finishing I left the game alone for a bit, so wanted to grind more chievos and started a new game, new 250 gig hd so decided to install the game since I had time to, now it freezes like crazy, seemed odd to me... guess I'll stick with playing from disc only