Strange HDD problem

Kaged

Alright, it all started when my Elite RROD on me. Sent it out and three-weeks later I get it back. Although the Console ID and serial # are the same, the power button doesn't push in at all anymore, but not a big deal. I went through the process of recovering my GT and downloading any game updates and downloads I was using.

This is the strange part. I picked up Dragon Age 2 and was ready to start playing it. Since I played DA: Origins, I thought I'd be able to use it. No dice. "No saves detected." Okay... maybe because I didn't play the newest expansion thus no migrative data. No big deal, made a new game. Well, I got bored and wanted to finish up my Hitman Save. "No careers detected." That's not right, that was one of the last games I played before it RROD on me. I go to check system memory. Says I have 68.6 GB free (120GB HDD), but accessing the HDD through the Xbox only reveals about 6GB being used, most of which is DLC. I double check another game I played, Mass Effect 2, no dice.

I tried to re-recover my GT with no success. Whats interesting is that my Xbox detects the music I loaded onto it, which I did several years ago. So I can determine that the game saves are on the HDD, but the 360 isn't detecting it (or doesn't want too...)

How do I go about this? Before I posted this, I ordered the MS data transfer cable so I can manually grab the info off my HDD and hopefully resolve this issue, but maybe this amazing community might be able to lend a hand.

Sorry about the wordy post, but thanks in advance.

Gave it a shot and loaded one of my older games saves I stored on my flash drive. When I copied it to the HDD, it never mentioned overwriting anything and no new saves came about. I also tried the good old cartridge trick by blowing on the connections with no luck.

I'll keep thinking of ways until the data cable comes then I'll grab the info myself.

Called Xbox Support, they think I have a virus... Sometimes I wish the kids they hire were a bit smarter, but that might be too much to ask for.

Also no luck with the data transfer cable. I used Xport 360 to look at the drive's partitions to see if I could read the info for myself. No such luck. The data almost seems to be hidden somehow.

Another interesting thing I found though is that if I go to transfer content to my USB memory stick, it says 38GB to transfer and reveals 46 out of 46 games selected. But if I go to the games selected, only 14 are visible. :confused:

So my question is this, is there any other software out there that will be able to reveal this hidden data on my HDD? I've use a program called FTK Imager in the past, so I could try that if no one else has input.

My last thing I'm going to try is hooking up my HDD to another Xbox to see if another Xbox will detect the data. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

Called Xbox Support, they think I have a virus... Sometimes I wish the kids they hire were a bit smarter, but that might be too much to ask for.

Ha, yeh, they are pretty useless at times. That is such a cop-out answer. "I dont know what the problem is so I will blame something that can not be disproven"

My last thing I'm going to try is hooking up my HDD to another Xbox to see if another Xbox will detect the data. It's a long shot, but worth a try.

This was going to be my suggestion, and also do the complementary test, see if your 360 can read another HDD.

Question: when you sent your console in for repairs, you only sent the console right? You didn't send it with faceplate and HDD connected?

Yes, it was just the console. Kept the hard drive but forgot about the faceplate, but I wasn't worried about that.

Good idea about trying another HDD on my console. I'll make a trip to a friends place soon to test this out.

Alright, I think I know where all my missing saves are. I noticed this before but I didn't think anything of it until I saw that it is not supposed to be there. There are two folders named "Ca|-he" and "Co|-tent" on my HDD that I can see with XPort 360.

Image of folders on HDD.

The only problem, is that it doesn't allow me to open or copy them off the HDD. So what do you guys think? How do I get into those folders? The only thing I can think of doing right now is imaging the entire drive and using some software to pull the info out since XPort 360 can't do it. One problem is that I don't have 120GB of space to put the image on my local HDD, so I might pick up an external HDD to do this if need be.

Triple post ftl but...

IT HAS BEEN FIXED! :woop:

Alright, I found another program called Party Buffalo Drive Explorer (use Google to find) that the forum user there, CLK Rebellion, has developed from the ground up. His program was the closest to accessing my hidden data.

Long story short, got with him on AIM and had him look at the drive with a hex editor. He noticed a few things wrong and began working on it. About ten minutes later, my old saves were found by his program and my 360!

Who knew you can can find awesome strangers on the internet? That guy made my day and didn't ask for anything in return, he was just happy to help.

Oh yeah, I was nervous about him corrupting the entire HDD, but he works with hex code for a living and been doing this for years now. That Party Buffalo app has been in development for about a year now, all his work.