The Signal Achievement Guide

Yunder

http://i32.tinypic.com/15naf4l.jpg

Be sure to check out the Color-Coded Collectibles Guide made by Tyger7.

Overview:

-Estimated achievement difficulty: 4/10

-Offline: 8(250:gsicon:)

-Online: 0

-Approximate amount of time to 250:gsicon:: <5 hours

-Minimum number of playthroughs needed: 1 (2 if you miss achievements)

-Number of missable achievements: 4 (Fast and Furious, Run-On Sentence, License Revoked, Words Will Never Harm You)

-Do cheat codes disable achievements?: No Cheats

-Does difficulty affect achievements?: No

-Glitchy achievements: None

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP0O+As=.jpg

A Friend In Need 25:gsicon:

Special 1: Find someone to help you.

This achievement is a part of the main storyline, and cannot be missed.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP8v8b4=.jpg

A Friend Indeed 50:gsicon:

Special 1: Follow the Signal to its conclusion

This achievement is a part of the main storyline, and cannot be missed.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP7PCS0=.jpg

Fast and Furious 25:gsicon:

Special 1: Make it through the final battle in less than 1 minute and 30 seconds

Fighting the Tvs, the best thing to kill them faster is the Flaregun and the flares. While still in the apartment, use the flare to make the Tv fly through the wall. Jump down and immediately fire your Flaregun to the Tvs. Reload, and fire once more to defeat the Tvs. Continue on outside, until you see the boat crash onto the dock. Immediately pull out a flare and drop it. Use the Flaregun to take its shadow down until its no more. When the boat disappears, the achievement will unlock.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP3oHSM=.jpg

Words Will Never Harm You 25:gsicon:

Special 1: Trigger all of the Furnaces in the Basement

When you enter the basement, you’ll notice the entire basement is filled with furnaces with the word “blast” around it. Shine your flashlight to make each of the furnaces blast. The basement is very dark and maze-like, and can get confusing if you manage to lose track of which ones you’ve done. Once you shine your light on them, they'll create a flashbang-like blast that's very bright. Some of them may blow up another furnace across from them. If this happens, make sure you go check to see if you missed any. When you manage to kill all of the Taken in the basement, go back and check to make sure that you got them all. The achievement will unlock when you blast the last one.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UPwI5bA=.jpg

Run-on Sentence 50:gsicon:

Special 1: Complete the Episode without reloading the game or restarting the checkpoint.

For this achievement, you must not reload your checkpoint or restart checkpoint. So, you must not die. Some tips;

• Running is the best strategy. When surrounded by Taken, the best thing to do is to light up a flare, and run.
  • Flares and Flare Gun. These two are the best weapons for attempting to go through the game without dying. If you manage to see a large group of Taken of 3+ shoot the flare gun to take them out all at once. If you manage to get surrounded by Taken, pull out a flare to give yourself some room.
  • Go towards the light. If you manage to get hit before moving along, backtracking to the nearest light is a good way to get your health back up to full.

This achievement will unlock after listening to the ending song. Right when the credits start to roll.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP+2CHE=.jpg

License Revoked 20:gsicon:

Special 1: Complete the Episode without using a single vehicle.

This achievement is quite simple. There will be a point where you enter a large area of the Sawmill, and you’ll see the word “Wheels” multiple times. Shining your light on these words will unlock Jeeps. Simply do not shine your light on these words, and continue on toward your objective. Dodge the Taken, and the Monster Trucks, and open the warehouse door. Continue onwards into the warehouse, and kill all of the Taken. Go up the stairs and out the door. Drop down over the car and the achievement will unlock.

NOTE: If you do happen to shine your light onto the words, and the jeeps appear, don't worry. Making the jeeps appear does not void the achievement.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UP2XAcQ=.jpg

Tick Tock 30 :gsicon:

Special 1: Discover all hidden alarm clocks.

There are a total of 10 hidden alarm clocks to be found in The Signal. You’ll know when a clock is nearby by the distanct ticking of an alarm clock. All you have to do for the clock to register as "found" is to walk up to it, and pick it up with :bbut:. The achievement will unlock when you find your last clock.

Alarm Clock 1: The first alarm clock can be found in the first few minutes of going into the Oh, Deer Diner. After obtaining the flashlight and gun, go toward the entrance to the diner. There will be a large Taken that appears from the kitchen. It’s in the kitchen next to the sink.

Alarm Clock 2: Right after passing through the gate into the playground, you’ll see a few trees that have been knocked over. Jump over these trees, and the clock is sitting on a bench beneath them.

Alarm Clock 3: After trekking through the basement, you eventually come across a staircase that has the word “climb” at the top. On the opposite side of the staircase, you’ll see a chair. The alarm clock is on the chair.

Alarm Clock 4: When you first see the TV of Alan talking about the invisible Taken, continue going straight through the woods. After a bit, you’ll see a sign and an overturned train cart next to the train tracks. The clock is on the edge of the cart.

Alarm Clock 5: Traveling along the train tracks, toward the Sawmill, you’ll come across the word “Turrent.” Shine your flashlight on this word, and you’ll see that turning on the new floodlight will open up the area underneath the circus tent. The alarm clock is inside on a box.

Alarm Clock 6: You’ll come to an area where there are loads of streetlights. Continue going down the hill until you see a gap in the rocks. There is a little fence there that over-looks the final area of streetlights. Head behind the fence, and the clock is on a rock behind it.

NOTE:Continuing onto the next checkpoint will cause this clock to disappear. Get this on your first pass!!

Alarm Clock 7: When you enter the large open area of the Sawmill, you’ll see the words; “Red Box” and “Wheels.” From the entrance, continue straight. The clock is sitting on a pile of lumber near a building filled with more lumber in it.

Alarm Clock 8: You’ll come to a point where you are traveling underneath a dock. Continue on until you see the word “climb” shine your light on it, and climb upwards. Turn around, and go toward the end of the pier, and the clock is at the end.

Alarm Clock 9: After facing off against the chainsaw Taken, you’ll see a log-cabin. Off to the left of the cabin, is the clock. It is sitting up against the fence.

Alarm Clock 10: After entering Alan’s apartment, head into his office. The clock is on his lounge chair, near a lamp.

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/images/achievements/476/UPx3+Vc=.jpg

Cardboard Companion 25:gsicon:

Special 1: Discover all of the cardboard standees.

There are a total of 6 cardboard standees to find in "The Signal." Each cardboard standee is different, as each one is a different character. They are all characters from around Bright Falls, and each one has its own little back-story for the player to enjoy. After reading your last standee, the achievement will unlock.

Cardboard Standee 1 (Otis Anderson): After exiting the Tool store, take a right turn, and go towards the side of the building toward the street. You’ll find your first standee, Otis Anderson, there next to the fence.

Cardboard Standee 2 (Sarah Breaker): After hopping over the fence, you see a focus point where there’s a street that’s no longer there. Continue going left, and you’ll see plenty of words to shine your flashlight at. Among these words, is the second standee, Sheriff Sarah Breaker.

Cardboard Standee 3 (Barry Wheeler): After fighting off the deer float, and the truck, you should unlock the key to getting into the Church. Head inside, and Barry Wheeler’s stand is off to the left when entering. Behind all of the pews, near a window.

Cardboard Standee 4 (Cynthia Weaver): After using the massive floodlight shining on the moving words “Bridge,” you’ll see three train carts fall from the sky. Drop through the first one, and look off to the right. The standee is on a little cliff.

Cardboard Standee 5 (Tor Anderson): After running through the area of 1000 streetlights, you’ll come to an the entrance to the Sawmill. Before entering, there is an overturned Crane. Off to the right, you’ll see the

standee behind a tree.

Cardboard Standee 6 (Alice Wake): After jumping out of the warehouse building, you’ll come to the area with the words; “Memory,” “Bridge” and “Bridge.” Off to the right, you’ll see a truck next to a very large crane. Head toward the truck, and turn right again. The standee is in front of a pile of wood, next to the back end of a truck.

Edited by Yunder
Formatting.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought I'd add a few things, as I was working on a guide before but there's no real sense posting it now. So for the collectibles I've found that you missed:

Alarm Clocks:

In the short section with vehicles (each labelled ‘wheels’) head straight from where you entered the area. There is an alarm clock on a vertical pole near a shed and a set of wheels.

Cardboard Standee:

Cynthia Weaver: Using the searchlight on the three floating ‘bridge’ words will create a train car for you to use to access the next part of the level. When you drop through the train car, head to your right, and the standee will be right by the edge of the rocks.

Also, a note on License Revoked, you can shine your flashlight on the 'wheels' to spawn the car and still get the achievement, you just can't get into the car.

I had a few things written down for Run-On Sentence and Fast and Furious, but since I haven't unlocked them I thought I shouldn't post them. Anyway, hope this helps!

and clock number 10 is in the area where you first see the words 'boom' and 'fireworks'. There is a train carriage next to the train track with a fairly big dent in its back corner. it's there

Edited by scedon
more detail

All missing items listed here.

+Alarm clock

There is an alarm clock on the way to the Sawmill on the bottom corner of a rusty train cart in the middle of the forest where you find all the 'boom' and 'fireworks' words.

+Cutout

Cynthia Weaver: On your way to the Sawmill, after you leave the forest and use the flood light on the 'bridge' words and train carts fall down. She is on the right after you cross the first one.

+Alarm clock

When you enter the area with loads of streetlights, run forwards but keep to the left and you'll come to a small wooden fence, follow that fence to the left and it's on some rocks.

+Alarm clock

When you enter the sawmill pit and see the words 'wheels' and 'red box' keep going forward keeping to the right. When you reach the top corner it is on the side of a timber pile.

Edited by Psymox

fast and furious is pretty easy, just safe your flare gun ammo till the end, and you should be able to kill the tvs in no time

Confirmed. Collect as much Flare Ammo as possible (and the Flare Gun in the first house you enter after leaving the Oh Deer Diner) and you should be able to get through the entire end battle in under 30 seconds.

I'm missing one more clock and so far, I have found every last one that everyone has mentioned in this thread ... any thoughts on where the last one could be?

EDIT: Never mind, it was the one in the bit with the demolition derby. I can confirm that all ten clocks are accounted for in this thread!

Edited by Aponac

for the 'run-on sentence' achievement does that mean that you can't die? i found the game to be really easy even on nightmare but i keep getting my ass kicked in this dlc.

I'm going to have another run of The Signal to see if this matters. I'm not entirely sure if you can still the achievement if you die, but I'll post what happens. :)

And for those that have posted the remaining locations of the collectibles, thank you very much. Makes my job a little more easier. :)

for the 'run-on sentence' achievement does that mean that you can't die? i found the game to be really easy even on nightmare but i keep getting my ass kicked in this dlc.
Exactly. Reloading or restarting a checkpoint equals to dying and going back to your last save. You may not die, but it's not that hard. Save your flare ammo for the final battle which is a piece of cake, once you have the flare gun, that is.

Try to get as quickly as you can through the woods by using flares in the first part, to keep the invisible Taken away if they're bothering you too much. Don't use any flares in the second part, as they will make the bad words such as "Enemy" and "Possessed" come to life. Same strategy in the 1000 light pole bit: run, run and run to the next checkpoint.

If you collect enough items and tools for your weapons and flashlight, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

I'm going to have another run of The Signal to see if this matters. I'm not entirely sure if you can still the achievement if you die, but I'll post what happens. :)

And for those that have posted the remaining locations of the collectibles, thank you very much. Makes my job a little more easier. :)

i really hope you don't have to do it without dying, but i don't know why else they would have the "without reloading a checkpoint" part in there. i keep dying by the most ridiculous things. on my seventh re-start already.

i really hope you don't have to do it without dying, but i don't know why else they would have the "without reloading a checkpoint" part in there. i keep dying by the most ridiculous things. on my seventh re-start already.

Yeah I just completed it and died a few times in one sitting and it didn't unlock so you'll have to do the whole thing without dying.

EDIT: I just got it after the last cutscene. Confirmed you need to do it in 1 sitting with no deaths.

Edited by Psymox

Exactly. Reloading or restarting a checkpoint equals to dying and going back to your last save. You may not die, but it's not that hard. Save your flare ammo for the final battle which is a piece of cake, once you have the flare gun, that is.

Try to get as quickly as you can through the woods by using flares in the first part, to keep the invisible Taken away if they're bothering you too much. Don't use any flares in the second part, as they will make the bad words such as "Enemy" and "Possessed" come to life. Same strategy in the 1000 light pole bit: run, run and run to the next checkpoint.

If you collect enough items and tools for your weapons and flashlight, this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Alrlight, thanks for the tip. I still plan on playing the Signal again, but having this info will help me in the long run. :)

Yeah, I managed to die quite a few times. The invicible Taken completely kicked my ass. However, it looks like dying will void the achievement. Taking Apocnac's advice, running is the best thing that you can do. Just like playing thru the game on Nightmare. :p

MILINKYO has posted all the alarm clock locations in a different thread, which I can verify are all correct. HaganeGir was also correct with the other standee. You might want to add them to the guide.

Dying definitely voids the "Run-On Sentence" achievement, as I died twice but did it all in one sitting without exiting and didn't get that one.

As everyone has said just use the flare gun for the final fight. I had 8 flares for the gun at the start of the fight and I didn't even use them all.

Good guide. Helped me get 200 out of it so far, just the not dying one to go.

I failed "Fast and the Furious" the first time I beat it because I didn't expect the boat thing to fall.

However, I literally just loaded the game up and clicked CONTINUE from the Signal save, and it loaded me right before that happened. I used a few flares and boosted the light on the boat and got the achievement in less than 30 seconds, if that.

I don't know if the game normally counts the part where you're in the house too, but I unlocked it just by loading the last save there and beating it quick there.

Alrlight, thanks for the tip. I still plan on playing the Signal again, but having this info will help me in the long run.

Yeah, I managed to die quite a few times. The invicible Taken completely kicked my ass. However, it looks like dying will void the achievement. Taking Apocnac's advice, running is the best thing that you can do. Just like playing thru the game on Nightmare.

Well, I'm always willing to give you information step by step, if that helps.

Keeping your distance is a big help, at all times.

- Enter the diner, the restroom, receive the light and the gun, get back out and fight the Taken in the diner. Leave through the back door and try to run through this next bit into the house in the distance. If a Taken tends to bother you, just shine your light on them to keep them away.

- Once you're in, you'll find a manuscript page in the back, a cutscene will follow. When it's done, go back to the hall of the house where you can find a new flashlight. Go in the room on your left before you leave to get a flare gun and some batteries. Leave the house.

- When you come out on the street, cross it immediately to be on the good side. Run past the possessed cars and burn away the door of the tools store to enter. Grab the tools and fight off the Taken inside the shop or just run pas them to save your ammo and leave through the back.

- Cross the small parking lot and jump over the fence. Cross the broken street. You can decide what to do on this next bit: fight off the Taken or run up on the stairs into the light. Here's a method: sprint from the very beginning and use a flare on your way if they get too close. You can get the tools up on the right, if you wish.

- Cross the street, go lower and jump over the wooden fence. Definitely sprint through this next bit up the stairs, and jump off on the top to the left. The Taken won’t be able to follow you and you’ll save yourself a lot of trouble.

- When you’ve jumped over the fence, enter the shed on the left to find batteries and more flare gun ammo. Get the memory, open the gate and jump over the trees to the other side. Burn away the fence and get out of the park asap. Don’t bother with the possessed playground, just run out of the park to the church.

- Try the door, and when Alan says it’s closed, just stay on top at the church entrance and burn away the fake raindeer. The word “Key” should have appeared at the truck, the sooner you can shine your light on it, the better. Once the door has been opened, enter the church.

- In the back of the church are some tools. Get them. Now leave through the back door and jump down into the furnace room. Take your time in here and use the furnaces as much as possible. Backtrack if you need to to avoid getting boxed in and should one of them get too close, just shoot them. Try to get through this without using a flare. Once you’re done, let the ladder appear and leave the furnace room.

- Let Barry appear on top once you grabbed the page and leave through the fence. Kick down the wood and get the new flashlight. Grab the batteries if you need to and cross the big chasm, using the two “Booms”. Grab the tools and prepare for this next bit. On the hill behind the TV is a pump shotgun which is a big help, so go grab that and keep off any bad guys with a flare. Once you get that, run like hell. You can afford to miss the tools here, because you should have more than enough batteries and pistol bullets by now. So just run, keep off any Taken with “Booms” and occasionally a flare. Reach the light at the end of the woods.

- Make the turret appear and build the bridge. Cross. Get the tools, should you need them. You’ll get to the second part with Alan’s books falling from the sky and a landscape littered with words. Stay on the bridge when the books attack and burn them away before you enter the woods. Now this is very important: do NOT shine on any words or use any flares to play it safe! If the books attack again, concentrate on them and on nothing else. If you go to the right when you start, you can get a free flare. Other than that, there’s only one “Tools” word and the rest are Booms, Ravens, Possessed and Enemies, so you can ignore it easily. If you trigger some of the words, you could very well start a chain reaction that will throw a big shit storm at you. Avoid aiming straight in front of you and try to keep your flashlight pointed in front of your feet when you’re not killing the books. Keeping to the right is the best way to go, so just follow the path, ignore most words and get the tools to the right of the lantern. Then go into the light and reach the checkpoint.

- Enter the landscape with the streetlights. Run straight ahead and jump off the ledge down. Once again, run straight ahead and jump off another ledge to get down again. You should see the light in the distance. Run, run run and take advantage of the streetlights or pop a flare if you need to. Reach the checkpoint.

- Climb the crane, jump down, get the supplies and enter the car. Drive, ignore the demolition cars and get to your next checkpoint. You should be safe of cars, but watch out for the Taken. Get the pump shotgun ammo and supplies. One strategy to get those cars out of the way is to burn them, and use the light as a checkpoint to heal, as long as you didn’t press the button yet! When you think you’re ready, push the button, get back in the car and drive back to the warehouse. Enter and immediately shoot the red gas canisters. This should help you a lot. Shoot any remaining Taken with your shotgun or pistol, climb the stairs and get out on top.

- Get down to the right, and collect supplies if you need to. There’s a “Memory”, it’s up to you to get it. Now, when you get down under the pier, you’ll get boxed in once you get close to the TV. Turn around immediately and get back out from under the pier to avoid getting overrun and use a flare to keep them at a safe distance. Shoot them with your shotgun (which really helps at this point) and once they’re all dead, get back under the pier, make the ladder appear and climb it.

- When you get up, get batteries, a better flashlight and a flare to the left. Cross the small maze with the wooden stacks. Once the chainsaw guy breaks through, there will be a regular Taken behind you. Take him out first, then the chainsaw Taken, both with your shotgun. Get supplies and enter another warehouse.

- Take your time to cross this and don’t try to run through it. Use the red gas canisters to help you out. Before you climb the stairs, get the two flares to your right. Now climb the stairs. In the next room, run to the window on your left and when the Taken appear, shoot the red gas canister in front of you. Run back outside of the room and take out the Taken that run up the stairs you just took. Then finish the others off and proceed through the room on top.

- Jump down, make the bridge and call the crane to carry you over to the other side. When you get off, immediately use a flare and when they’re getting stunned, shoot the Taken with your shotgun and climb a few ladders. Jump down. You’ll be getting close to the end as you’ll reach Alan’s apartment.

- While Thomas Zane is inside, explaining everything, grab your flare gun and you should have 4 up to 6 flare ammo. The TVs inside his apartment are easily destroyed with your flashlight, so just shine on them. As soon as you jump down, use a few flares to keep off any Taken and possessed objects and try to hide behind any pillars for possessed objects. Shoot your flare gun on the center TV (the plasma screen). It should destroy all the TVs around it and allow you access to the back of the warehouse. Repeat the same process: pop a flare or two, get some cover and shoot the main TV. The TV will fly through the gate and outside to the end of the pier.

- Take the flares outside and run to the TV. A boat will crash down and flying books will attack, this is your last challenge. Just use everything you have: pop flares near the boat, shoot your flare gun empty on the boat and shine your flashlight on it. The flares will damage the boat and keep away the books. You should win easily enough. Now sit back and enjoy the ending, the achievements of beating the fight under 1:30 minutes and of finishing it without restarting a checkpoint should unlock.

I just tried this method again, while I was typing my small walkthrough, and I finished again without dying, from the very first go. It should be a piece of cake if you follow my instructions. Let me know if this was of any help to you guys.

So in short:

- Run at the points specified in the walkthrough, mostly outdoor environments

- Try to take out enemies inside of buildings, no rush

- Save your flare gun for the final battle and aim for the main flat screen

- Occasionally use a flare to keep off enemies in certain environments

- Keep your distance!

Edited by Aponac