Horror Rpgs?

Laurence4

I was just watching the trailer for 'the evil within' and given that Bethesda biggest games are your elder scrolls and your fallouts, i was thinking that it may be a horror rpg. Does any one know of any games of the same genre? And not fake rpg i.e the amazing spider, lego batman 2...

After I saw your post about this game, I have watched an announcement trailer and read a couple of articles. But It looks more like a horror/survival game rather then a horror/RPG. But you never know.

Also we have a forum on this game:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=2632

It would be appreciated if you make a topic there. :)

(If you type the name in the game in the search bar you can see if there are forums around new games)

Edited by Legend Vigoro

The Dead Island series. 2nd one coming out next week (Dead Island: Riptide).

If The Evil Within turnouts being a Silent Hill type FPS/RPG, it'll definitely be a day 1 purchase for me.

EDIT: The screens look awesome, but probably next gen graphics (360 version probably lower quality):

http://www.allgamesbeta.com/2013/04/the-evil-within-debut-trailer-mikamis.html

Edited by Wii187

Bethesda didnt make The Evil Within, they're just publishing it just like their other published games (Dishonored, Rage, Rogue Warrior) Shinji Mikaji developed the game with his team, fact that he also directed Resident Evil 4 and Vanquish.

I was just watching the trailer for 'the evil within' and given that Bethesda biggest games are your elder scrolls and your fallouts, i was thinking that it may be a horror rpg. Does any one know of any games of the same genre? And not fake rpg i.e the amazing spider, lego batman 2...

Sadly, I don't believe the game you (and I) want actually exists. The couple of games suggested probably aren't exactly what you're looking for. Dead Island has the horror aspect but the RPG elements are pretty light. I don't even know off hand, Fallout 3 might be the closest thing to this, atleast on consoles, and even that is quite a stretch. It's more sci-fi than horror. It would be a great thing to have a proper game like this.

I would like to know how everyone including the site counts Dead Island a RPG. Theres no moral choices at all. Theres no ''Save the World or destroy it''. Its more of an action game its not even scary. If you think its scary dont ever play Dead Space then lol. Sure the enimies level up and progress carries over but so does Deadrsing 1 and 2 and those arent RPGS.

Ontopic-I cant think of any scary RPGS

I would like to know how everyone including the site counts Dead Island a RPG. Theres no moral choices at all. Theres no ''Save the World or destroy it''. Its more of an action game its not even scary.

It's similar to Borderlands in that it's like a RPG/Shooter hybrid (with more emphasis on the melee weapons than guns for this game). You've got the levelling system, the endless fetch quests, the open world, fast traveling. It's an RPG, but just barely.

Honestly I don't think a Horror RPG would really work. At least not in the traditional sense. A game like Dead Island implements RPG elements (although I personally thought Dead Island RPG mechanics really ruined the balance of the game) and I can see doing a game Mass Effect or Deus Ex style for a horror game, but traditional J/W-RPG are too slow-paced to function with horror mechanics IMO. I would love to see them pull off a Horror-based RPG, but a J-RPG horror game with turn-based combat or a dice-roll system the whole shock and horror fit will be gone long before the fight is over. A W-RPG would be more feasible, but the feeling of isolation would be lost in a game like Mass Effect or Elder Scrolls if there are a bunch of people to talk too. Horror is driven by the feeling of helplessness and despair. Allies, co-op partners, HUB regions, etc... don't fit the feel well.

This is just my opinion of course. I'm looking forward to Shinji's new IP. I've never been more unnerved by a game trailer. Hopefully this is a sign of a return for the Horror Genre. Haven't seen a good horror game since Dead Space 1.

It's similar to Borderlands in that it's like a RPG/Shooter hybrid (with more emphasis on the melee weapons than guns for this game). You've got the levelling system, the endless fetch quests, the open world, fast traveling. It's an RPG, but just barely.

I dont consider that an RPG though. Open WOrlds,Fetch quests,Leveling system,and fast traveling does not make an RPG.

1.Has to have morale Choices

2.Has to have repurcusions for every descion.

3.Has to have a huge choice during the last mission.

4.Have the option to steal from people,or people to like or hate you.

DI did not have those.

I dont consider that an RPG though. Open WOrlds,Fetch quests,Leveling system,and fast traveling does not make an RPG.

DI did not have those.

That only one level of what makes an RPG, or more specifically a western RPG. With the exception of a couple like Chrono Trigger, no JRPG has really ever had any of these features.

RPGs in a traditional sense or more centered around your character leveling up his abilities, looting and inventory management, and the combat systems (standard RPGs are random encounter turn-based like Pokemon or Real-Time encounter like Final Fantasy 12/13.) Many of the RPGs on the Xbox would be more considered as hybrids with RPG elements. Elder Scrolls is action adventure, Mass Effect is a 3rd person shooter, Dead Island and Borderlands are 1st person shooters. They all implement various elements of RPG gameplay. Even Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas had RPG elements with the ability to level up your driving abilities, strength management, maintaining your weight, etc...

DI did not have those.

DarkReign hit on what I wanted to say, but I still felt the need to quote this and say you are wrong. Traditionally, the things you listed in the first sentence were exactly what made an RPG. The rest of the stuff you're describing is just the staple of the newer WRPGs like Mass Effect. That is only one school of it. There are still Dungeon Crawlers (Sacred 2), Turn-Based (classic JRPG), Tactical (Agarest War series), MMO (Monster Hunter), and general Action (Nier).

Please don't try to limit this genre to the one you like the best.

Edited by The Pants Party

DI did not have those.

Some of the final fantasy's (only played/watched 3 of them so not sure what the other ones have) and Lost odyssey would like to have a word with you about your definition of what an RPG is.

DarkReign hit on what I wanted to say, but I still felt the need to quote this and say you are wrong. Traditionally, the things you listed in the first sentence were exactly what made an RPG. The rest of the stuff you're describing is just the staple of the newer WRPGs like Mass Effect. That is only one school of it. There are still Dungeon Crawlers (Sacred 2), Turn-Based (classic JRPG), Tactical (Agarest War series), MMO (Monster Hunter), and general Action (Nier).

Please don't try to limit this genre to the one you like the best.

Pants nailed it. There are many things that make a game an RPG. But there are various stockings of an RPG. Which he listed quite well too. I don't think a horror would work well as an RPG. I just want a decent horror game.

Well to ech his own,I wasnt limiting anything thats just my oppinion. Anyway....

RPG

Role playing game,ah ok. Forgot about that I guess you guys are right,so stop tea bagging me you jerks. :) lol.

Hey wasnt Metro 2033 a RPG Horror game ?

Edited by Deadsea 1993

I don't think Metro really had any RPG elements to it. It was pure FPS as I recall. Might've had weapon upgrading, but I don't think that was even there. I never beat the game though. Didn't really enjoy it.

I'd like to see more Horror games like Condemned myself. I feel the way it carried itself would lend itself well to some RPG elements. I could see leveling up to give your character various perks and enemies that scale-up in difficulty with you. Perhaps give us the ability to craft custom weapons using items scavenged throughout the world. Plus with the Forensics it could afford some nifty little mini-game moments that would be good for gaining XP.

Defnitlt agree with Condemned I like the pace im at level 2 now and its great so far. (Trying to 1000 Fallout New Vegas and Dead Island at the moment)

I never played Metro 2033 I was just wondering if that was a horror RPG. I dont know if ill ever get it its now 25$ at Gamestop still lol. Looks cool though.