Damn EA

KFZ Scrubs

Rant here... I know... just a little frustrated about that whole EA online code thing and how it hurts resell value. I tried to trade in my Fight Night Champion in today, game's a over two weeks old since it's been released. Now, I know their offer was usually shit but I thought that since this was a new game, hey, the least they would probably offer me was like 25 bucks because I traded in games I've had longer for about that much.

Ehhhh wrong, turns out with my gamestop card it was 18 bucks... so without it it would have been less. Really? They said that the EA code hurt it's resell value and they'd have to take some off for that. Hurt I understand, but rape it? I don't know what bullshit equation they used to figure that out, but that's more than their normal price rape. I bet bulletstorm has a higher resell value... and it's older and you need to buy a online code.

UGhhhh their plan is working, I slowly don't want to buy their games anymore.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's disgusting isn't it?

The whole online pass thing is just stupid. We pay for the game, we pay for Xbox Live, and for those who don't buy the game that hire it out, you have to pay to play the game online.

This trend is almost as bad as every movie coming out in 3D!

Gamestop lied to you; they don't sell used EA games for any less than other sports games that don't have the online pass. $18 is just their standard crappy price. btw you could get $31 at Amazon (free shipping) or $37 at Gamefly (you pay shipping - about $2).

don't blame EA, they're actually helping you out. you can make like $45 off of FNC on ebay. trust me, it's for the best that you can't sell it back to thiefspot

EA are the biggest bunch of conmen western society has ever seen. Why we buy their piss poor games is beyond me.

gamestop are worse thieves. EA publishes a multitude of fantastic titles. the quality of their gaming stable is not the issue here.

It's disgusting isn't it?

The whole online pass thing is just stupid. We pay for the game, we pay for Xbox Live, and for those who don't buy the game that hire it out, you have to pay to play the game online.

This trend is almost as bad as every movie coming out in 3D!

The online pass does make sense, you buy a half game, you need to pay for the other half.

EA fanboy hmm? 13 1/2 months, not 12. Shit, it's the end of the world.

That game still had an online community; closing it down after 13 months? Really?

And you said "often"- Your argument loses validity when you cant provide facts to support your claims.

Of course I don't buy used games or sell my games when I'm done, so its really not my fight.

However, I do feel bad for my boy Scrubs at the minimal amount he received for the game.

Edited by DOOKH8R

EA fanboy hmm? 13 1/2 months, not 12. Shit, it's the end of the world.

That game still had an online community; closing it down after 13 months? Really?

How about EA no-longer had licensing rights for lord of the rings!?

OT: Thats why I have WAY to many old EA and 2k sports games sitting on my shelf rotting; cause they are worthless

How about EA no-longer had licensing rights for lord of the rings!?

OT: Thats why I have WAY to many old EA and 2k sports games sitting on my shelf rotting; cause they are worthless

Bea, don't you know that EA deliberately lost that license just so they could close the servers and fuck over fans in a deliberate attempt to make them buy the newest Lord of the Rings game? It's how they roll (warning: statement not to be taken seriously).

OT: I have NEVER been satisfied with the trade in value of any game. It is what made me into an inadvertent collector. EA online pass makes no difference to me, I still won't sell to EB/Gamestop.

Companies won't get much out of used games, so they have to make money through the online pass.

Companies don't make anything, its all profit for gamestop.

Don't they make enough?!

Kind of stupid thing to say(And I mean that in the nicest way possible=D). Its like saying its ok to pirate because the companies make enough money.

Its sucks but this is the way its going to be till either they come up with a better idea to combat used games sales or till everything goes digital download(Which will be a while).

Kind of stupid thing to say(And I mean that in the nicest way possible=D). Its like saying its ok to pirate because the companies make enough money.

Its sucks but this is the way its going to be till either they come up with a better idea to combat used games sales or till everything goes digital download(Which will be a while).

Oh I didn't mean that I agree with Piracy and all that - I just mean I'm pretty sure they do just fine as they were. :)

EA's getting smarter too about the pass, their last year's crop of sports titles had the online pass printed on back of the instruction booklet so you could still rent it and play online for longer than a week as long as you were the first person to rent it.

Now they're ALL on those inserts that most rental stores throw away instead of putting in the case. It is worth noting Blockbuster seems to put the inserts in the game case, but maybe that's just around here?

Either way, you can still score the pass codes on eBay for much cheaper than the 800msp the Xbox Marketplace wants for them.

It's not that bad. It's actually a fair practice, in my opinion.

At first, before I knew WHY they implemented the system it really bothered me.

But after I found out they make NO money on their used game sales, it makes sense.

They're just trying to make money on what's rightfully theres. If you buy the game New you don't have to pay any extra.

Oh I didn't mean that I agree with Piracy and all that - I just mean I'm pretty sure they do just fine as they were. :)

You are aware of the number of video game developers that have had to close their doors in the last year, right? Bizarre Creations, Red Octane, Luxoflux, Krome, just off the top of my head. The video game industry as a whole makes a lot of money, but many developers are one flop away from bankrupcy. Furthermore, the most profitable part of the industry appears to be the retail side, which profits greatly (to the tune of about 47% of all its profit) from the pre-owned market, a market that the developers see practically nothing from.

I might be mistaken but I think one of the reasons they're including the online pass is to stop people from playing pirated games. Unfortunately it's not fair for those who buy used games or rent games.

No, there are other ways of combatting piracy, this is purely aimed at the preowned market, particularly since EA has been losing money recently. So, if a company is losing money, and there is a further 47% (source) being made off of their product that they see no part of, don't you think that they should have SOME way of accessing that market?